Squished Brake line??

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

Re: Squished Brake line??

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Job is done - brakes working great!

Fully bled the system, fluid was gross and had particulates in it!

However, now it seems the parking brake doesn't work - the pads don't grip the rotors. Was there an adjustment I was supposed to do? I've read that ours are self-adjusting and I've set and released the parking brake pedal at least 20 times, with still no grip. I had no extra or missing parts when I put her back together.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:07 am

90 MarkVII BB wrote:Job is done - brakes working great!

Congratulations on the repair!
90 MarkVII BB wrote:Fully bled the system, fluid was gross and had particulates in it!

Yup, yup, yup. The number one issue with our brake systems; contaminated fluid.
90 MarkVII BB wrote:However, now it seems the parking brake doesn't work - the pads don't grip the rotors. Was there an adjustment I was supposed to do? I've read that ours are self-adjusting and I've set and released the parking brake pedal at least 20 times, with still no grip. I had no extra or missing parts when I put her back together.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

Yes. The automatic adjusting rears of the 1990s should have kicked in way before 20 pumps. I suggest a cable adjustment in in order.

By the way, our emergency/parking brake does not securely hold ... in reverse.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby mikeceli » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 am

FYI COPPER has not been considered acceptable for brake lines, since I started in the auto repair business, in 1975. Possibly further back than that.
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 am

mikeceli wrote:FYI COPPER has not been considered acceptable for brake lines, since I started in the auto repair business, in 1975. Possibly further back than that.

Just to not leave an unresolved comment. They are Nickel/Copper, and are DOT approved for hydraulic brake lines and can handle pressures up to 4k psi. In doing research I had read that it was actually used in some european cars in the 70's (Volvo) and is used today by Audi, Porsche, Aston Martin.

4 years so far, no issues, no rust. *knock on wood*
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 am

I guess you got it right :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 am

oldschool1 wrote:I guess you got it right :)

I just like to be thorough, not leaving anyone with doubt as to whether something is safe. I'd have never used them without proper research.

:)
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:38 pm

in·teg·ri·ty
[inˈteɡrədē]

NOUN
1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
"he is known to be a man of integrity"
synonyms: honesty · uprightness · probity · rectitude · honor · honorableness
2. the state of being whole and undivided.
"upholding territorial integrity and national sovereignty"
synonyms: unity · unification · wholeness · coherence · cohesion · undividedness ·

Thank you for having integrity.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby mikeceli » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06 pm

90 MarkVII BB wrote:
mikeceli wrote:FYI COPPER has not been considered acceptable for brake lines, since I started in the auto repair business, in 1975. Possibly further back than that.

Just to not leave an unresolved comment. They are Nickel/Copper, and are DOT approved for hydraulic brake lines and can handle pressures up to 4k psi. In doing research I had read that it was actually used in some european cars in the 70's (Volvo) and is used today by Audi, Porsche, Aston Martin.

4 years so far, no issues, no rust. *knock on wood*

You initially said "Copper ". Copper is not safe, or legal in the USA for brake lines.

If the alloy you actually used is DOT approved, fine!
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:43 pm

I also have referenced that brake line type. I used it about ten years ago to make a LF brake line for my friend's 1990 LSC. He was changing the master cylinder, and the one line would not come loose(the line was fused to the fitting).

I made the new line easily, it was very easy to bend to the original line shape. I made the proper double flare on both ends, and it didn't leak. That's great brake line, I knew it was legal then, but I only could recall that it's made with copper. I plan to buy a lot more some day to build the lines for my old Ranchero. I have made the flared ends six times without having one leak, that's the only critical part in making brake lines. Being able to bend a line is the other tough part, if you can do those things, the rest is tedious bending.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Previous

Return to Brakes