90 LSC Rear Caliper Brackets

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

90 LSC Rear Caliper Brackets

Postby LSCParker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:46 pm

After replacing the pads, rotors and calipers...I found that the bottom bolt/pin hole to be stripped out by prior "mechanic".
I did a search on this site, but could not find a definitive source of replacement parts for this bracket (anchor plate).
Does anyone know of a "new" replacement or is it possibly going to be a wrecking yard search?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
Yelm, Washington
---------------------
1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1982 GMC S-15 Gypsy V6 4 speed longbed
LSCParker

Re: 90 LSC Rear Caliper Brackets

Postby LSCParker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 pm

My bracket looks like this:

Steve
Yelm, Washington
---------------------
LSCParker

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 am

Hi there. I looked on RockAuto and it's not listed. I would check with AZ and O'R parts but most likely salvage is the way to go here. The '91 calipers sell with brackets, but '84-90 seem to only sell by themselves. If I'm not mistaken, all but the '91-92 Mark VIIs will have that bracket, since they all except the last two years carried that caliper.

One more thing I'd do is go to AZ or O'R (whoever sells the '91-92 calipers with brackets) and make sure the '91-92 bracket isn't the same one. I would assume it's not since the calipers changed but honestly I have no idea.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby LSCParker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:58 am

It's been awhile...but, I ended up having the threads fixed with a helicoil kit.
Now, after putting everything back together and bleeding the rear brakes, I have an issue with the front passenger brakes wanting to grab and heating up.
It did this after I did the the front brakes but kind of fixed itself. The "antilock brakes" light is also on.
Could this be the ABS system needing to be bled and holding pressure to that side?
Or..do I just need to bleed all the brakes together?

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Yelm, Washington
---------------------
LSCParker

Postby LSCParker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Ok...just drove it up to get license tags for it and some coffee for me, and it was fine on the way there, but now the driver's side front brakes are grabbing and heating up. My brother seems to think that there is some air trapped somewhere and is causing the brakes to act up like this...I guess it's time to bleed them again.
Steve
Yelm, Washington
---------------------
LSCParker

Postby LSCParker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Took the front wheels of yesterday to take a look at the brakes and removed the calipers...the passenger side inside pad fell out of the piston...there's supposed to be a spring clip to hold them in, but it is bent all out of shape and would not hold pad in place. I also noticed strange wear patterns and swirl marks on the pads...not sure what that's about.
So, off to buy new pads...again.
Put new pads on and bled the front brakes and the ABS light is still on.
Drove it to the store and back today and the passenger side front hub is still getting warmer then the rest.
Still don't know for what is going on, but still haven't bled all the brakes at the same time, so maybe it is time to do that.
Steve
Yelm, Washington
---------------------
LSCParker

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 pm

LSCParker wrote:Took the front wheels of yesterday to take a look at the brakes and removed the calipers...the passenger side inside pad fell out of the piston...there's supposed to be a spring clip to hold them in, but it is bent all out of shape and would not hold pad in place. I also noticed strange wear patterns and swirl marks on the pads...not sure what that's about.
So, off to buy new pads...again.
Put new pads on and bled the front brakes and the ABS light is still on.
Drove it to the store and back today and the passenger side front hub is still getting warmer then the rest.
Still don't know for what is going on, but still haven't bled all the brakes at the same time, so maybe it is time to do that.

Hi Steve, how was the wear of the pads, left versus right? It is very common with the age of these parts, to have a caliper(one or more) wear pads faster than normal. If that may be the case, it means that the piston in a caliper is sticking/dragging a little, which holds the pads against the rotor slightly after you let off the brakes. That will eat pads quickly at first, but it can also create a ton of heat, melting the caliper/piston seals eventually. Rebuilding the calipers would be the answer for that. If you might think that needs to be done, I suggest not swapping yours for rebuilt calipers. The cores people turn in at this age, are more and more, too worn to rebuild. It's not hard to do it yourself, just tedious, carefully using a pick or sharp screwdriver.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I agree with Don.

Also, when you have the caliper removed, see if you have any play in the rotor. If so, it's time for bearings and possibly a new rotor.

It's one of those Might-As-Well jobs that last for like a decade.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Brakes