Tone ring, rear ABS sensor

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

Tone ring, rear ABS sensor

Postby 90Mark7 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a '90 LSC SE. My yellow Anti-Lock light remains constantly on. I determined the rear-passenger ABS wheel speed sensor needed replacement. So, I managed to get one. Only issue that I didn't notice before: the tone ring is virtually gone. Not sure how, or why, but it's not there.

What is the exact part number, or some kind of identification, to get the correct tone ring? Also, am I missing anything that should also be looked at? My red Brake warning light does NOT come on, just only the yellow Anti-Lock light. Thanks in advance.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Re: Tone ring, rear ABS sensor

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 pm

That sounds like an odd issue with the axle, maybe when it was out at some time before. Likely the easiest repair is to replace that axle. At this age the axle bearings are suspect anyway, and the axles don't usually make it to 200k miles. It's not a bad idea to replace the axle if the tone ring is damaged, plus the bearing and seal for it.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90Mark7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:49 pm

CDW6212R wrote:That sounds like an odd issue with the axle, maybe when it was out at some time before. Likely the easiest repair is to replace that axle. At this age the axle bearings are suspect anyway, and the axles don't usually make it to 200k miles. It's not a bad idea to replace the axle if the tone ring is damaged, plus the bearing and seal for it.

I don't have any roaring/groaning sound, and I have 166K miles on my '90 LSC SE. If it helps out with info, I have the trac-lok 3.27 original rear.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

With 166k miles, the axle might very well be fine except for the tone ring. There's no way to tell if the axle is beginning to wear at the bearing surface, except to remove it and look at that. They won't make any real noises until the bearing surface is pretty bad, then it's an immediate need for an axle. That's why I like to R&R the bearings and seals, plus grease, before say 100k miles at a time.

Those tone rings are fragile and I've heard of them being removed etc. But I doubt it's worth it to try to buy a used one to replace yours. I would hunt for the best price for a replacement axle. I think $75 is too much for a used one, but I've paid that several times as the fastest solution. I bought a pair of new axles for my 98 SUV years ago, stronger aftermarket, at about $225 shipped, with bearings and studs. I suggest searching for the best price on a new axle, any brand or level will do, for a 28 spline Mark VII axle. They are different lengths left and right, so to buy one you have to specify which.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Brakes