Teves Mark 2

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

Teves Mark 2

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Is the Teves system on my '89 LSC a Mark II version? I am curious if there is a self diagnostic procedure if one doesn't have a Ford breakout box. Brakes work fine, get flushed every year and the accumulator ball was replaced with a Spinning Wheels unit 4 years ago. No leaks. Pumps comes on every 3-5 applications. Amber light is off most of the time and when starting I can feel the click and pulsation of the self diagnostics. About half the time the amber light comes on, whether during driving or after starting it sometimes stays on. The antilock function also works about half the time (when the amber light is out) Red light only comes on with the amber light when the system is pressuring up after starting. The red light goes out first. How can I test the individual sensors? Aren't they the most likely part to fail in a properly maintained system?

I've inspected the rear sensors and tone rings, no obvious damage. I haven't looked at the fronts yet. I'd like to test all of them with a DVOM.

The only time I ever had a problem with the pedal getting hard was when a BWD ignition switch malfunctioned after 4 years; it wasn't powering the accumulator pump. That was fixed earlier this year.

I posted earlier this year about the antilock feature working at low vehicle speed but not at highway speeds.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Teves Mark 2

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm

I got a hold of an '89 service manual. From the diagnostics it's telling me to concentrate on the sensors. I tells me which pins on the computer harness to check the ohms on these parts. The rest is visual and checking sensor/signal ring gap. Since the amber light almost always comes on when moving, this seems reasonable. I'll post on this again once I find something. Forget about a Star tester, I don't know any dealers who still have one!

Bobby
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Teves Mark 2

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 am

Bob,
I have yet to go into this.
I'm curious to read what you discovered.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Brakes