Hard Brake Pedal / Anti Lock & Brake Warning

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

Hard Brake Pedal / Anti Lock & Brake Warning

Postby 00VII » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 pm

My 91 mark LSC has been sitting for a couple months and upon starting it up again the brake pedal seems stiff and doesnt move. The anti lock and brake warning indicator are both on steady. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start? I also have a entire spare master cylinder from a boneyard for parts if needed.
00VII

Re: Hard Brake Pedal / Anti Lock & Brake Warning

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Enter "hard pedal" (with quotes) into the search box at the top of the page.
It can only be a couple of issues.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 00VII » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm

oldschool1 wrote:Enter "hard pedal" (with quotes) into the search box at the top of the page.
It can only be a couple of issues.

I noticed people were talking about the ignition switch. Mine is pretty well worn and sometimes sticks etc. Does that have anything to do with the brake pump getting power to run? Im not very knowledgeable on how this system works.
00VII

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 am

On a 1991, the ignition switch should NOT be an issue unless you've modified the car and installed a Mr. Fusion or something.
Don't confuse our ignition switches with our ignition key cylinders.
Click the IGNITION SWITCH link in my signature.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 00VII » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:09 pm

What other possibilities are there for the pump not to kick on? I would think its something simple since it stopped working while it was sitting. I would like to check the relay and pressure switch but im not sure where they are located.
00VII

Postby 00VII » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 pm

I think im gonna just go ahead and shotgun some parts here. I pulled the pressure switch from my spare unit so im gonna try and swap them out and see if that helps.

*update*
Well i was about to pull out the pressure switch and i decided to check the cap and some other things first. I had the key on a few times while i was messing around and i noticed that even tho the brake pump wasnt running the exterior of the pump was really hot to the touch. Now i remember when i first started the car after it was sitting i had smelled something burning through the vent. So im assuming the pump was stuck from sitting and i probably burned it up When i ran it. Does this sound plausible?
00VII

Postby 00VII » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:13 pm

I ended up pulling out the whole unit and swapping it with another used one. i filled it up with fluid after installing it and turned the key on. The pump ran for about a minute and shut off. The warning lights went off, the pedal is soft and the pump runs each pedal press. I havent had the chance to bleed it yet but does it sound like its functioning properly now? Will bleeding the brakes stiffen up the pedal and keep the pump from kicking on each press?
00VII

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 am

00VII wrote:I ended up pulling out the whole unit and swapping it with another used one. i filled it up with fluid after installing it and turned the key on. The pump ran for about a minute and shut off. The warning lights went off, the pedal is soft and the pump runs each pedal press. I havent had the chance to bleed it yet but does it sound like its functioning properly now? Will bleeding the brakes stiffen up the pedal and keep the pump from kicking on each press?

Bleed the system properly, and then listen for how often the pump primes the accumulator. It should be only once every 2-3 brake presses. Any more often than that, your accumulator is on it's way out.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 00VII » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 am

Well i got around to bleeding the brakes and it went relatively easy. The pedal has a good feel to it and it seems the pump wants to kick on for a few seconds every 2nd application of the pedal (Engine off). But as usual chain reaction strikes again and i went up my driveway a couple times and it felt like there was some drag and the passenger wheel area was putting off a little smoke. I checked the rotor and it didnt appear to blue at all so im not sure if it was the caliper sticking or the wheel bearing. At the same time the suspension light kicked on for a reason im unsure of. So thats my current status, i think the car hates me.
00VII

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I suddenly had a hard pedal with the amber and red warning lamps coming on while driving and fortunately I noticed that the climate control lights weren't illuminated so I pushed the key forward a touch and the pump kicked on before my Mark got two feet shorter. Whew!!! I had replaced the ignition switch 4 years earlier on my '89 LSC just to be safe since it had never been changed. BTW the first replacement was a BWD (they are junk) part, since I had two new BWD starter solenoids in a row that failed in the "on" position requiring beating them with a hammer to release. The second replacement ignition switch is a Duralast part which I hope lasts longer. Pics of the bad switch are shown. Notice the separation!

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Brakes