Rear Brakes Locking

Discussion of STOCK calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, lines, reservoirs, pedals and systems.

Rear Brakes Locking

Postby spike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am

The other day went for drive in LSC and noticed the rear brakes are trying to stay engaged I guess as rims had brake dust all over them and car didn't want to move easily.What do I need to do to get calipers to loosen up and whats the procedure to do so?I believe it to be the rear but may be wrong as I haven't jacked car up yet
spike

Re: Rear Brakes Locking

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Spike, what year is your LSC? Is the anti-lock light on? I have a bad sensor and my rear brakes lock up on panic stops. If this is not the case, the calipers are probably seized and I would try tapping them with a hammer to loosen them. They also may be require an overhaul. Also check the parking brake cable to see if it is completely released. Are the rear wheels hot after driving and can you smell brakes? Just a few things to check. Also try some PB Blaster or some other lubricant on the parking brake arms and slider mounts before tapping. Oh and one last thing, are the brake rotors glazed? They would have to be resurfaced or replaced. When bleeding the rear brakes, the brake pump has to be working with the Teves system.

You can get remanufactured rear calipers. Of course they have probably been warmed over a few times so repairing the originals is the best way to go. I still kick myself that I turned in all four calipers as cores. A front and a rear blew out and I'll be looking to scavenge some original units off of a donor vehicle. You will have to pull off the rear wheels in order to check on your problem.

Bob
Last edited by robertbweltzien on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby spike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Car is an 88 LSC and has been setting for 12 tears but have made a few passes at track and just now seems hard to roll.Just the last outing it got alot brake dust on wheels and didn't want to roll easy so appears brakes are dragging?...Oh by the way car only has 9000 miles on it
spike

Postby spike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 am

Forgot to mention no lights or any signs of dash warnings etc.?
spike

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Take off the wheels and inspect those brakes. Almost sounds like rust. I'm buying a Ford Focus that sat outside for a few years in CT. New tyres and brakes!
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby spike » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 am

You may be right but car has been in garage it's whole life!
spike

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:04 pm

SPike,
Garaged or not, brake fluid can be corrosive.
Start with a complete flush of the system.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 am

Spike, your '88 LSC is the same as mine, which is an '89. I've done this procedure more than once on my LSC. I'm going to do it again to see if it resolves the anti-lock malfunction. The rear brakes tend to lock up on panic stops. I also have to pull the AOD for a blown overdrive band at 195,000 miles. Get a gallon of fluid, DOT 4 is best. Do not ever use DOT 5. It is incompatible with the Teves system as well as most others because it is silicone based. First try to remove as much old brake fluid as possible from the reservoir with a turkey baster. Refill with fresh fluid and start at the right rear, with the ignition "on". Careful with the bleeders. I'd spray them with PB Blaster or a reasonable facsimile and tap on them with a wrench to get the lubricant to penetrate any rust. Repeat on the left. Then right front, then left front. The pressure pump needs to be running to do the rears. You can get a self bleeder cheap from the local stores to make it a one person job. A gallon might seem like a lot, but it does the job. If you have a battery charger, hook it up on a trickle charge to save your battery. If that doesn't work, your rear calipers may be frozen and yes, going back to what Oldschool1 said it can happen in a dry garage. That's why you never set your parking brake if the car is going to be in storage for a while. They like to get stuck. You can also spray the cables with the weasel pee and spray the pivot with white lube. Also, nothing is better than the original parts, especially on a very low mileage vehicle like yours. I hope this helps and good luck,

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Brakes