Passenger reclining seat

Discussion of STOCK anti-theft system, charging system, connections, fuses, grounds, ignition system, lighting system, relays, sensors, switches, wiring systems.

Re: Passenger reclining seat

Postby Brad4d » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply John. From what I've read, the eraser can build up static, but that shouldn't effect this part, as it is all mechanical. I've read about so many contact cleaning sprays, is it possible you meant not to spray the harness, or to clean them? I really don't think I can afford to replace the contacts.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 am

WHITEOXLSC wrote:This is the reason my drivers seat would not recline all the way back. Goes to show you how powerful those motors are :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm really surprised that I missed this post (three years ago).

How in the WORLD did you get the coin out?
As mentioned above, one of my cars ate a dime that I STILL have yet to remove.
How'd ya do it?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:39 am

Brad4d wrote:Thanks for the reply John. From what I've read, the eraser can build up static, but that shouldn't effect this part, as it is all mechanical. I've read about so many contact cleaning sprays, is it possible you meant not to spray the harness, or to clean them? I really don't think I can afford to replace the contacts.

In a nut shell, we should only spray contacts to clean them IF THE SWICH IS APART and THE CONTACTS ARE EXPOSED and sitting on a bench and we can remove any overspray from the contacts or switches.

What we are trying to avoid is the QUICK FIX of spraying a half a can into a live or contained switch and expecting the product to either evaporate or not fuse between contacts.

Replacements are minor as they're readily available from yards (ie, http://row52.com/) for well under $50.00 shipped to your door from say southern California, US to Nova Scotia, Canada.

Let us now how you proceed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm

oldschool1 wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:This is the reason my drivers seat would not recline all the way back. Goes to show you how powerful those motors are :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm really surprised that I missed this post (three years ago).

How in the WORLD did you get the coin out?
As mentioned above, one of my cars ate a dime that I STILL have yet to remove.
How'd ya do it?

An old screwdriver and a set of needle pointed vise grip pliers. Seat reclines much better now for some reason :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am

Ha!
Penny for your thoughts!
Thanks for the heads up.
If we go above 50°F here in PA, I just may tackle my dime-in-the-gears.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I've gotten one side done. Going to do the other switch tomorrow probably. Should go WAY easier now that I know what to expect. I'm taking pictures along the way, hopefully we can add a 'Seat Switch Cleaning' thread, with pictures. These will become a more common issue, I'd guess. John, please let me know the best way to get some pictures to you, or how I should post, if you don't mind.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby Brad4d » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm

That was an easy fix, once I knew what to expect. Second side took about ten minutes. Tested the one side I could get to in the garage, and verified...fixed. Scratch that off the to-do list! John, I took picks along the way. Let me know if you want them, please.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby Brad4d » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Nice day here today, so I got the panels re-attached and both sides tested out AOK. So nice to have seats that work, and actually there was more than just the recline that was out. John is busy with the Auto show right now, but hopefully there'll be pictures of what was done, and the tools I used, posted soon. Feels good doing something, even if it's a small something. It also got its battery minder hooked up. Starting without driving a car isn't great for the battery, & mine was actually a bit slow. The tach needle was bouncing, and electrical was slow. After running a while, those things cleared up. Hopefully it'll be happier with the charging. :D
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:24 am

Brad4d's pictures are available as a TECH ARTICLE.
See, https://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech under the SEATS section.

Thanks for sharing these with us!

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm

I've since put the panels back in & verified that both sides are working great. There is actually a couple of adjustments that the seats make, that I didn't realize they did. LOL An excellent type of project for winter. After 26 years, they were pretty grimy in there. One additional tip:if you hear the motor, it isn't likely a problem with the switch. Also, if wiggling the switch makes it work, then this cleaning is probably the needed. As a reminder, there is arcing inside the switch, and the cleaner is explosive/flammable. Don't spay cleaner into the switch without taking it apart. Flames & live wires don't mix, and can cause all kinds of grief. If you've gotten far enough to spray the back of the switch, just take the few extra steps.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:08 am

Brad,
Thanks for sharing this with the Lincoln Community.

I cannot say this enough times,
"In a nut shell, we should only spray contacts to clean them IF THE SWICH IS APART and THE CONTACTS ARE EXPOSED and sitting on a bench and we can remove any overspray from the contacts or switches. What we are trying to avoid is the QUICK FIX of spraying a half a can into a live or contained switch and expecting the product to either evaporate or not fuse between contacts."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Previous

Return to Electrical