Turn signal speed

Discussion of STOCK anti-theft system, charging system, connections, fuses, grounds, ignition system, lighting system, relays, sensors, switches, wiring systems.

Turn signal speed

Postby 90Mark7 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey all,

I have a '90 LSC SE. All the bulbs are working, but I noticed the speed seems a bit quick. This happens when either the hazards are on, or just using the turn signal normally. It appears to me that it goes about 2x/second. I figured since this is an older car, that it would blink slower. All the bulbs are firmly in their sockets, and I don't see any evidence of moisture in the housings. They're not burnt-out either.

My question is: what is the real, correct turn signal speed? And, what would cause the turn signal to blink 2x/second? These are the stock bulbs, and not LEDs.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL premium audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Re: Turn signal speed

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 pm

That sounds fast to me.
Normally, it's an indicator of a bulb out (at least one of eight). The other reason for high speed is over amping by the alternator through the voltage regulator.
Do you know how to test your voltage?
If so, your idle voltage should be under 14 volts.
If it's over 14, you're about to fry your accessories.

Let us know what voltage you read at idle.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:11 am

Yes, check the several bulbs first, the voltage, and also the flasher. Sometimes flashers can die in odd ways, or flash at odd speeds.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 am

Flashers are also plug and play and stoopid cheap.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90Mark7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 am

Sorry for the late response, been dealing with bronchitis and it decided to snow yet again...even though my calendar says spring and not winter anymore... :evil:

How do I test the voltage? And, how do I get a new flasher? I put in a brand new (at the time) voltage regulator sometime in 2017 (got the car in August 2016). New battery installed this month, April 2018 (not sure if that's relevant). I checked all exterior bulbs and they illuminate/function properly. I'm not sure about the age of the flasher, but it's more than likely the original factory one.

The hazards (4-ways) also flash fairly quick too, about 2 flashes/second. However, I have noticed a slight drop in speed when parking lights or headlights are turned on.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL premium audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

90Mark7 wrote:Sorry for the late response, been dealing with bronchitis and it decided to snow yet again...even though my calendar says spring and not winter anymore... :evil:

How do I test the voltage? And, how do I get a new flasher? I put in a brand new (at the time) voltage regulator sometime in 2017 (got the car in August 2016). New battery installed this month, April 2018 (not sure if that's relevant). I checked all exterior bulbs and they illuminate/function properly. I'm not sure about the age of the flasher, but it's more than likely the original factory one.

The hazards (4-ways) also flash fairly quick too, about 2 flashes/second. However, I have noticed a slight drop in speed when parking lights or headlights are turned on.

To test voltage, get a multimeter from your local auto part store, Turn it on and turn the dial to 12V. Then put the red lead on the positive terminal of the battery, and the black lead on the negative terminal of the battery. With KOEO (Key off Engine Off) it should read about 12.4 - 12.6 volts. With KOER (Key On Engine Running), it should read anywhere from 14.0 - 14.6 volts. Anything less or higher @ KOER means the voltage regulator is probably faulty and the system isn't charging correctly. Also check that the "AMP" light lights up on the dash when you turn the key to on position. That bulb is part of the charging system and needs to work for the system to charge.

I'll let someone else speak on the flasher. A google search might point you in the right direction.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 am

The flasher is very easy to find, and change. It's in the fuse box under the dash(above the thin cover you can take off with fingers). Simply buy an electronic flasher from any parts store, and pull the old one out, then plug the new one in.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90Mark7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm

90 MarkVII BB wrote:
To test voltage, get a multimeter from your local auto part store, Turn it on and turn the dial to 12V. Then put the red lead on the positive terminal of the battery, and the black lead on the negative terminal of the battery. With KOEO (Key off Engine Off) it should read about 12.4 - 12.6 volts. With KOER (Key On Engine Running), it should read anywhere from 14.0 - 14.6 volts. Anything less or higher @ KOER means the voltage regulator is probably faulty and the system isn't charging correctly. Also check that the "AMP" light lights up on the dash when you turn the key to on position. That bulb is part of the charging system and needs to work for the system to charge.

I'll let someone else speak on the flasher. A google search might point you in the right direction.

AMP light only turns on prior to starting (when the other warning lights illuminate). It never remains on when the car's on. I used the multimeter and confirmed with both KOEO and KOER tests the volts reading is exactly on par with what you said. So, I'm going to assume then that my flasher must be going out soon.
90Mark7

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 am

90Mark7 wrote:
90 MarkVII BB wrote:

AMP light only turns on prior to starting (when the other warning lights illuminate). It never remains on when the car's on. I used the multimeter and confirmed with both KOEO and KOER tests the volts reading is exactly on par with what you said. So, I'm going to assume then that my flasher must be going out soon.

That is the correct process for the AMP light so you're good there. Give a new flasher a shot. This is the proper way to do things, check, rule out, diagnose, then replace. Don't just throw parts at it (aside from upkeep stuff that should be replaced after 20 years - mostly rubber things.)
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electrical