Which heater core

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Which heater core

Postby Oldmanresto » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 am

O.k., time to replace the dreaded heater core. Is the $90 Motorcraft unit any better than the $20 cores at the auto parts store? Can this job be done without disturbing the a.c. system and are there other parts thst should be replaced while I'm in there?
Oldmanresto

Re: Which heater core

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:39 am

Oldmanresto wrote:O.k., time to replace the dreaded heater core. Is the $90 Motorcraft unit any better than the $20 cores at the auto parts store? Can this job be done without disturbing the a.c. system and are there other parts thst should be replaced while I'm in there?

I'm pretty sure it should be doable without disturbing the AC system, though someone else with more extensive knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong... Then again if the AC were all that needed to be disturbed, I might prefer that to having to remove the entire dashboard. I've seen someone cut through the firewall to change it out on another forum - but they got crucified by other forum members for compromising structural integrity.

I'd change the heater hoses that feed it. Rockauto has motorcraft for $75.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby davefordman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 pm

I've worked on cars all my life ,but still had mine done buy a friend with experience as it is a nasty job. a dealer would probably make you pay way to much so I would look for some who does a little work on the side. just make sure he is someone that is good enough to do it. also I had what ever the air parts (evapator ,sorry about the spelling) and even the blower motor changed if they are original. sure it's a lot but if one of them go bad and they drop the dash again it will cost a lot more.also moving all the wiring all around again might just cause real problems. and it will be good for years to come. dave
ImageImage
Mark VII 1988 Color-#18 Smoke To 2013-Red Candy
1983 Thunderbird Heritage 351W Mild Build .030, Flat tops, 750 Holley, 360 Offenhauser Intake '79 Lincoln AOD, 350 Posi, Mustang headers
2015 UMP A Modified FORD POWERED
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2958013/1 ... o-gallery/
http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Galler ... .thumb.jpg
davefordman
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 am

Oldmanresto wrote:O.k., time to replace the dreaded heater core. Is the $90 Motorcraft unit any better than the $20 cores at the auto parts store? Can this job be done without disturbing the a.c. system and are there other parts thst should be replaced while I'm in there?

I'm with Dave.

Twice, I've paid local shops to do the job when the heater cores have failed.
If you have an uncracked dash, it needs to be prepped (saturated) with a vinyl specific product such as MOTHERS Protectant #05316, 16 oz. #05324, 24 oz. My entire dash had to be removed BOTH times. Prepping reduces the chance of cracking.

I know of one Member who has done it himself.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed May 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the bump and reminder of how not fun the heater core job is. I've done 3-4 in my younger days, but never a Mark VII. This makes me think I ought to replace mine when I pull my dash for rewiring my car. I don't want to be pulling the dash again later.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 am

...did you replace it? I did it myself and posted a commentary on it here. If you search Heater Core Replacement my postings should come up. Bitch of a job but I got it done - and I did it with 0 help. Taking both front seats out makes things a lot easier. Also gives you an opportunity to vacuum the carpet under both seats and get rich doing it with all the change you'll find down there. When you do it replace ALL the heater hoses, big and small, including the ones at either end of the heater hose connector rail on top of the engine - just do it all at that time...if you ever want to chat about it let me know...
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine