Coolant temp sensor

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.
SBB or Suck Bang Blow, refers to Air Intake, Ignition, and Exhaust. Return these back to stock specifications and you'll be golden.

Coolant temp sensor

Postby 90Mark7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Hey all,

I have a '90 LSC SE, and thinking of replacing the coolant temp sensor as I'm working on restoring the car. Sometimes the car sputters a bit and dies. I'm going to be replacing the PCV valve soon, and I've also cleaned the IAC, installed new spark plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor, etc. since August 2016. It only happens when the engine's cold and letting it warm up for about 1-2 minutes. If I let it idle for about 3+ minutes or more, it doesn't stall. I'm assuming it's the sensor, and probably the original factory one too.

Does someone have a picture they can show me, or at least tell me, of where that sensor is located? Thank you.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL premium audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Re: Coolant temp sensor

Postby Matthew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 pm

It is on the heater hard line at the front of the motor on the passenger side. You should test the sensor and harness with a multimeter before replacing it on spec.

-Matthew
Matthew

Re: Coolant temp sensor

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 pm

The coolant sensor is very reliable, I would think about other things before that. The IAT sensor in the #5 lower intake port is fragile, and can create some driveability issues like idle stuff etc. Even if a wire gets a bad connection to the IAT, that can do the same thing as the bad sensor.

When you pull the PCV out, also get the metal screen out also, which is down below the rubber grommet for the PCV. That needs to be clean and flow air, they often clog up over time.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine