Paul Protos

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

Paul Protos

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Can anyone give me contact info for Paul Protos? My CD player quit working and I want to find out if it is the head unit or the amplifier. The sound used to go out when past "10" and worked like that for a few years. This morning I have no sound, when the knob is moved from "0" I hear a slight static noise for a second and then it goes dead. Lights on the unit go on like it is "on" and the tripminder, console and everything else works. The amp is original and the CD player is 15 years old.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Paul Protos

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

Now the CD player/radio works again and goes out when the volume is pushed past "10". I have to assume the head unit is malfunctioning and not the amp. The unit is a Pioneer DEH 2400B. I have ordered another "same" unit off of eBay, new, never used for $55. The only apparent difference is a USB port. I am assuming the wiring harness is the same from looking at diagrams.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Now the illuminating light on the detachable head works intermittently and the radio got stuck on one channel. Turned the ignition off and back on and it resolved. I have to conclude that the CD player, not the amp is bad. Whew. I do hope the radio wiring harness is the same. I'll keep y'all posted.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Who installed that radio? There should be a wiring adapter behind it which is made to plug into it and the car, no cutting. If you didn't change the type of amp output of the radio, you could buy some other radio which you might like more, and simply remake that adapter for the new HU. Aftermarket radios are not expensive now, though they still make high dollar stuff. I liked the DVD player I got installed in mine, for looks and features, I just need to do the new amp and wiring to use it. It's a fold out screen, 7", with NAV and back up camera etc.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Sounds nice, Don. The radio was installed by the previous owner, about 15 years ago. It was done at an audio shop, fortunately. It's a Pioneer DEH 2400. I bought another similar but more modern unit off of eBay for $55. Your right Don, they are cheap. It's another Pioneer DEH 2400 that has a USB port and a slightly different face design. The seller says it's new and never used. I bought it expecting that all the wiring harnesses are the same, being a cheapo and something else as my wife likes to say as well as liking to rig things (no offensive language). Once I fix the antilock malfunction I'll be ready for a trip to New England for the old man's 90th. One day when cash flow improves and I can actually restore the car I'll put in a fancier unit. Now it's time to hunker down for the tornadoes headed in our direction. Thanks for chiming in,

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 pm

The harness on the (new) unit has a smaller connector so I am going to use bullet connectors on the car and radio harnesses, just in case the new unit goes out and I need to change it again. It's funny that the harness wires on the new unit are such a smaller wire gauge. At least they all use a universal color coding scheme. With my wife at home on permanent disability and needing care 24/7, I find I have the dubious luxury of too much time on my hands!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm

I replaced the CD player with an updated unit. Very happy with that, a Pioneer DEF 2400UB new for $50 through Amazon Prime. With USB port I can use iPod, phone, etc. Interesting that at high volume the sound cuts out as before, though now at a higher level. Is the amp due for a capacitor refresh at Mr. Protos' shop? It's funny how just restarting it comes back to life. Anything simple I can check? Sounds like I have to bite the bullet.

Oh, and the old unit was 45 amps RMS and the new unit is 15 amps RMS.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm

That sounds like it might have had(and still have) a conflict with amps. The factory stereo uses a low power HU(no RMS) and the trunk amplifier to make power, which is clearer than a high power HU and no external amp.

You might ought to see if there is an adapter/device in line with the amp to bypass the amp, which is not made for high powered inputs(45w RMS is high powered). If there isn't anything else added into the system, then there may be a problem with the amp due to the RMS signal going through the amp. I've never tried to use a factory Lincoln amp with an aftermarket HU, because of the large number of wires between the HU and amp(near to 20). It may be easy to feed the amp with the RCA outputs using an adapter to separate the signals from each RCA cable.

I'm going to replace the entire wiring system, so mine will be simpler(four RCA cables from the HU, to an amp with RCA inputs built into it, out with speaker cables to the speakers). Any way you do it, it's not a simple as normal cars(because of the OEM amp and its many wires). Mine will take gutting the interior to run the new wires properly.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, Don. Meanwhile I'll try lowering the gain and not going too high on the base and treble. It's a cheapo head unit but it does a lot of things. I'd like to keep the factory amp, so I will try all these thing first. I also emailed Paul Protos so I will let you know what he says. It does stay loud enough for me, and I like a quiet car, like the factory exhaust, which I replaced a month ago.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Good thought to ask Paul, he may know what the power limit of the stock amps are. That 15w RMS is a low figure, most are 25w or more.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm going to remove the cover in the trunk and pull the amp. My thought is that perhaps a wire or connector is loose or is missing insulation. This morning it shut off at low volume and when I cycled it on and off a few times it started working properly. Oh those electrical gremlins in our Marks! At least I know the CD player I replaced is likely a perfectly good working unit.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic