my apologies, but a question about the radio

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

my apologies, but a question about the radio

Postby Supgee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Hello,
I have searched throughout the forum and haven't found anyone with this same issue.

Car is a 1991 LSC Mark 7, 181,000 miles on her... when I first picked it up, I was told the radio did not work... I pressed the on button, and bam I had radio right away... (the sound system is actually pretty good)... anyway two weeks go by and my alternator kicks the bucket... no big deal... I replaced it, the voltage regulator, the silly amp light bulb, and things have been running well... Now, when I turn on the radio.. it powers on... I hear the antennae do its thing.... but the radio just shows 3 little lines.. like this... [ - - - ] <- Is what the display looks like... almost like its waiting for me to do something.

I have tried to push all the buttons on the radio, and none of them respond I just have these 3 dashes on the radio... I can turn it off and on, but the dashes remain. I have read through the manual, and the ford pamphlet on the radio but I haven't seen a mention.

Has anyone had this problem, and how can I remedy it? It really is a pain to drive with no music!! :lol:

thank you 8-)
Supgee

Re: my apologies, but a question about the radio

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Sounds like it finally bit the dust. Have you taken the radio out and inspected it?

You have two options, have it reparied for $100+? or so..... Paul Protos can help more on this.
Buy an new remanufactored OEM radio. $200? or so....
Buy a 3rd party radio with pre-outs and the adapter and your done. Then you have USB, I Pod, cell use, etc, etc... and CD player too. Less than a $100.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:27 pm

One thing you might try is to unplug the radio for a few seconds then plug it back in. It might have got a glitch and is "locked up electronically" Other than that, I would say it's time to send it to the hospital and let or friend Dr. Paul have a look see...... ;) That is if you want to keep it stock. You may also want to check the yards in your area for a replacement, but keep in mind that these are all the same age and will require service sooner or later.
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby TwoTimeSC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Supgee wrote:Hello,
I have searched throughout the forum and haven't found anyone with this same issue.

Car is a 1991 LSC Mark 7, 181,000 miles on her... when I first picked it up, I was told the radio did not work... I pressed the on button, and bam I had radio right away... (the sound system is actually pretty good)... anyway two weeks go by and my alternator kicks the bucket... no big deal... I replaced it, the voltage regulator, the silly amp light bulb, and things have been running well... Now, when I turn on the radio.. it powers on... I hear the antennae do its thing.... but the radio just shows 3 little lines.. like this... [ - - - ] <- Is what the display looks like... almost like its waiting for me to do something.

I have tried to push all the buttons on the radio, and none of them respond I just have these 3 dashes on the radio... I can turn it off and on, but the dashes remain. I have read through the manual, and the ford pamphlet on the radio but I haven't seen a mention.

Has anyone had this problem, and how can I remedy it? It really is a pain to drive with no music!! :lol:

thank you 8-)

*** UPDATED ***

These particular radios were manufactured for Ford by Sony in the early 90's and incorporate one of the first anti-theft circuits used in an automotive head unit. The three lines ( - - - ) , when showing in the display, relate to the radio' anti-theft function.

Are the three lines ( - - - ) lit continuously or are they flashing?

If the three lines are lit continuously (NOT flashing):
Try leaving the radio turned on for at least 30 minutes. There is a timer circuit built in to help thwart a would-be thief from trying codes one after another. After the 30 minute wait with the power on, the lines should revert to flashing. Once they are flashing you can try steps 1-4 below. If the lines remain solid after at least 30 minutes, the radio has issues with its electronics and must be repaired.

If the three lines are flashing:
This signifies that the anti-theft circuit has been activated by the removal of battery power.
The only way to recover function is by entering the three digit security code via the station preset buttons 1-3.
If you don't know the three digit security code, cross your fingers and try the next steps:

1) Power the radio off then back on.
2) Wait for the three lines to flash.
3) Press the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence.
4) If the radio's display goes back to normal, leave the radio powered on and follow the next steps carefully:

5) Press and hold the #1 and #4 buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds until you get three flashing dashes again.
6) Press the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence.
7) Press the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence AGAIN.
8) The radio's display should go back to normal and the Anti-Theft code is ERASED.

Note: if you try steps 1 through 4 but the display remains with three flashing lines, that means the security code is something other than 1, 2, 3 OR there are internal hardware issues with the electronics that must be addressed.

As of today, if the code is something other than 1, 2, 3 (maybe a previous owner set it to his own code) there is no way to recover the radio short of pulling the security chip out of another radio that has not been activated yet. Clear security chips are no longer available from Sony (the OEM for Ford) and have not been for some time now.

Be very careful pushing combinations of buttons, only following the steps above, otherwise you may inadvertently set a security code that will render the radio useless.

Good luck!
Last edited by TwoTimeSC on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTimeSC

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

Security code on a radio that old?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby TwoTimeSC » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:21 pm

White Lincoln wrote:Security code on a radio that old?

Yes indeed.
The Sony-made Factory AM/FM/CD single disc unit, found in Mark VIIs circa. 1990-1992 model year, was one of the first to incorporate an anti-theft code.
TwoTimeSC

Postby tomnh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:14 pm

thanks Paul, this I did not know. I'll have to stickey this thread for others to read too. You are a wealth of information for all of us :D
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 pm

WOW, :o you learn something new everyday. I had no idea that they had that type of technology way back then.
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Return to Electronic