No AM/FM radio

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

No AM/FM radio

Postby 90Mark7 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 pm

I have a '90 LSC SE, and I noticed the top of my antenna is slightly bent. I didn't think anything of it. However, my stock cassette JBL head unit (rebuilt 2-3 times by Paul Protos before) picks up neither AM or FM stations. I checked three physical connections (one by the antenna, one behind the glovebox, and one behind the head unit itself) and all of them seem firmly secured. There is some noise from the speakers when the radio is on, but not static. My JBL amp has also been rebuilt once by him.

Regular cassettes play just fine. Not sure if related or not, but when I use a cassette adapter that plugs into my Android smartphone, it stops playing music when I start driving. If I'm sitting idle, it's fine. I've also attempted a Bluetooth cassette adapter and it continuously ejects it.

Do I have to get a new antenna, since my stock head unit won't pick up any AM/FM station? Or are there other issues I need to look out for? Thank you.
"Black Betty" 1990 LSC SE all stock, black-on-black. Trac-Lok, JBL premium audio, power moonroof.
90Mark7

Re: No AM/FM radio

Postby TwoTimeSC » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 am

Please contact me via email at polyscroll@hotmail.com.
It sounds like the radio has an issue again and I will be more than glad to take care of it for you N/C.

FYI, the cassette mechanisms in these units have trouble with some cassette tape adapters due to the auto-reverse mechanism.
Only certain brands will work. I can send you one that will if you like as well.

Paul Protos
TwoTimeSC

Return to Electronic