Door moulding painting

Discussion of STOCK body shell, doors, exterior trim, frame, underbody, and window systems.

Door moulding painting

Postby Kcz5o39 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting. I just bought a 89 mark vii that needs to be repainted. I have painted other cars before but am unsure what to do with the narrow door moulding that is in the center of the door and fenders. Is it best to pull it off, paint the car and the moulding separately and then put it back on, or paint over the top. I think it would be easier to wet sand and buff with the moulding off. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kcz5o39

Re: Door moulding painting

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 am

Welcome. That thin molding is made of several components, each molding. Be very gentle with it. The inner core is a thin aluminum, and there are three segments for each molding I think. The outer skin that you want to refinish is a very thin and shrinkable material, a hard plastic or vinyl etc. I'd be super careful with sanding on it, you could cut right through it easily. On the car it's held in place to work on it well, though not at the ideal height etc. If you take it off, then you have to be able to hold it still somehow to work on it. But off the car you can see it much better etc.

The sun shrinks that outer skin, mine has large gaps between segments, I'd hate to have to use filler for those. I bought other used moldings for my paint project.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Kcz5o39 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 am

Thank you.
Kcz5o39

Postby Kcz5o39 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

I am coming along nicely. I have the car painted and wet sanded and am in the process of buffing. It was two tone blue and grey with grey on the bottom of the car. I didn't want to go with the two tone because the grey on the bottom looked like primer. I painted the whole car twilight blue pearl metallic. I think it actually came out pretty good given that I had gun problems through the whole paint job and painted it in a garage with flies. :-) Anyway, after starting to clean hp the lower molding I noticed it was grey and not blue. I think I will need to repaint the molding to match the body color. Has anyone done this, and if so are there any photos out there. Thanks again. It is nice to have people who are familiar with this vehicle. It has helped me repair numerous electrical issues.
Kcz5o39

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 am

Kcz,
Thanks for keeping a Lincoln Mark VII on the road.

I sooo believe in giving this trim to professionals that do this kinda thing like weekly. Shrink rap? Yup. Layers? Yup. The thinnest material on our 25+ year old vehicles? Yup.

Keep us posted as to how you proceed!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Kcz5o39 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the heads up. I think the door molding is in good enough shape that I can clean it and wax it. The door molding is blue so will match. What I was thinking about painting was the rocker molding. I will post picks when I get it back together. It is taking longer than I thought as I'm still standing and buffing. Again thanks for the response. It helps having people who have taken these cars apart before.
Kcz5o39

Postby Kcz5o39 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 pm

not sure how to post pics. It looks like I need a a webhost. I signed up for photo bucket and will try to put in the link for a slideshow. Should be some before and after pictures.
http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Kcz5o39/library/?view=recent&page=1

If there is a better way someone please let me know. Photobucket is loaded with popups.

Thanks
Kcz5o39

Return to Body