Bags won't air up. Car = my own Groundhog Day

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

Bags won't air up. Car = my own Groundhog Day

Postby TheAutumnChill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

So I've been working on my gray 1989 LSC for the last two months replacing the front air springs. The new Arnott springs are now fully installed into the mounts up front, and the new compressor has been successfully installed. However, I foolishly left the switch on while replacing the second airbag (turned it on while on stands to test the first install) and now I have four flat bags, two of which are new, two old (rear old, front new).

The car is now sitting on the garage floor, all four wheels on, on terra firma, with the jack stuck under the left front because the jack is taller when retracted than the car's jacking point with the left front bag flat. The battery was dead so I put the jump pack on, put the key to RUN, and the compressor kicked on with no leaks coming out of the air line attachments.

The rear bags, which from what I have read are the first to send and receive a signal, did not air up, and the computer shut the new compressor off after 5 minutes as per the program in the computer itself. I tried again to no avail, and have given up for now to recharge the jump pack since it needs to be recharged (it was not fully charged).

I'm at a loss on this one and I've been able to replace everything I had for this job (O-rings for front solenoids, front bags, compressor) without any difficulty. What did I do wrong??
Just remember, it's not that easy to clean bird poop off leather.
TheAutumnChill

Re: Bags won't air up. Car = my own Groundhog Day

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm

If the jack is stuck under the vehicle, raise the jack until the nearest tire is off the ground.
Independently support the tire on 4" of bricks or boards.
Lower the jack completely.
You should now have room to remove it.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:18 am

TheAutumnChill wrote:So I've been working on my gray 1989 LSC for the last two months replacing the front air springs. The new Arnott springs are now fully installed into the mounts up front, and the new compressor has been successfully installed. However, I foolishly left the switch on while replacing the second airbag (turned it on while on stands to test the first install) and now I have four flat bags, two of which are new, two old (rear old, front new).

The car is now sitting on the garage floor, all four wheels on, on terra firma, with the jack stuck under the left front because the jack is taller when retracted than the car's jacking point with the left front bag flat. The battery was dead so I put the jump pack on, put the key to RUN, and the compressor kicked on with no leaks coming out of the air line attachments.

The rear bags, which from what I have read are the first to send and receive a signal, did not air up, and the computer shut the new compressor off after 5 minutes as per the program in the computer itself. I tried again to no avail, and have given up for now to recharge the jump pack since it needs to be recharged (it was not fully charged).

I'm at a loss on this one and I've been able to replace everything I had for this job (O-rings for front solenoids, front bags, compressor) without any difficulty. What did I do wrong??

check for possible leaks again at the compressor is the best suggestion I have. Sometimes the o-rings have a tendency to roll up out of their mount if not lubed with a light layer of silicone grease. If that yields nothing, was the old compressor dead? If not, I'd say hook the old one back up and see if they air up then - that way you'd know you have a faulty new compressor.

Then invest in a low profile jack for any future insurance against getting a jack stuck underneath hehe.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 am

Mine failed and dented the gas tank!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension