Springs on front only

Discussion of STOCK air springs, struts, shock absorbers, shocks, compressors, air driers, lines and systems.

Springs on front only

Postby ILMLSC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:12 pm

I'll begin with an apology as this technically belongs in modifications (where I did post without response yet), but just in case anybody over here has a thought:

I have a 91 LSC and I've replaced all the air springs and the dryer/compressor. I'm experiencing leak exhaustion; i.e. I don't have the patience to chase down one more leak (for at least 6 months). Can I put regular (metal) springs on the front only; leaving my rear air springs which are working fine? Thanks!!!
ILMLSC

Re: Springs on front only

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am

ILMLSC, please post what you have done so far for leak checking. I hate to see a Mark VII lose air ride!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ILMLSC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I appreciate it. Phoenix has tried to help me extensively. Basically I've replaced all 4 bags, put on a couple new solenoids, and replaced the compressor/ dryer which I think I burnt up (the original) messing with all this. One thing I've learned is DONT TAKE THE LINE OUT OF THE SOLENOID. Some may disagree but I left the solenoid conbected on the back ones and it was so much simpler; just changed the o rings other than small inside one. I think all my problems stem from the line going into the solenoid 'anew' or into the compressor (or dryer, whatevers on top). The reason I'm at my wit's end is that it worked perfectly, finally, for like 90 miles and several stops (inflated, turned off, did not come back on). Parked it, turned system off, came back several days later, car sitting up properly, system turned on, fronts deflate and will not re-inflate. Backs are fine. Went through this not long ago only it was the reverse; think I've now solved problems in back but I've been fooled before!! I have wondered if the cold weather is causing everything to shrink but I would not think that would cause enough difference that they just would not inflate. I've used fresh line to hopefully avoid scraped or bent lines, new o rings, I've saved the hard plastic rings and used them, etc.

I've actually ordered the front coils and I'd really just like a break from this. I love the air ride as much as anybody but I've lost confidence in my ability to get this system reliably functional. I'm open (I guess) to suggestions but I'd also like to know if you can put coils on the front only and if so what do you do about the front part of the air system.
ILMLSC

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 pm

ILMLSC wrote:I appreciate it. Phoenix has tried to help me extensively. Basically I've replaced all 4 bags, put on a couple new solenoids, and replaced the compressor/ dryer which I think I burnt up (the original) messing with all this. One thing I've learned is DONT TAKE THE LINE OUT OF THE SOLENOID. Some may disagree but I left the solenoid conbected on the back ones and it was so much simpler; just changed the o rings other than small inside one. I think all my problems stem from the line going into the solenoid 'anew' or into the compressor (or dryer, whatevers on top).

The Soapy Water Test will show you where your leaks are.
Whenever you disturb an o-ring, it should be replaced.
ILMLSC wrote:The reason I'm at my wit's end is that it worked perfectly, finally, for like 90 miles and several stops (inflated, turned off, did not come back on). Parked it, turned system off, came back several days later, car sitting up properly, system turned on, fronts deflate and will not re-inflate. Backs are fine. Went through this not long ago only it was the reverse; think I've now solved problems in back but I've been fooled before!! I have wondered if the cold weather is causing everything to shrink but I would not think that would cause enough difference that they just would not inflate. I've used fresh line to hopefully avoid scraped or bent lines, new o rings, I've saved the hard plastic rings and used them, etc.

I've actually ordered the front coils and I'd really just like a break from this. I love the air ride as much as anybody but I've lost confidence in my ability to get this system reliably functional. I'm open (I guess) to suggestions but I'd also like to know if you can put coils on the front only and if so what do you do about the front part of the air system.

Read this, http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=105
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Suspension