Snapping noise while turning wheel

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Snapping noise while turning wheel

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:42 pm

89 LSC, new inner tie rods installed, toe set, no leaks, steering tight, steering effort normal. The rack mounts and tie rod ends are tight. There is a snap that happens every turn of the steering wheel. I have located it to where the steering shaft enters the steering box shaft stub. Small amount of play on the rack stub. The car handles great and there is no abnormal tire wear. Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to put in one of those crappy reman racks.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Snapping noise while turning wheel

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

That's an odd sound and I can't think of what would do that. Is that the original rack, and how about the lower steering shaft?

You have mentioned the rack before, and your choice for a rack is tough for the 84-89 Mark VII's. You would need to use a Fox rack which are nearly impossible to find in great shape(remans either), or buy a high dollar hybrid Maximum Motorsports steering shaft to use a 94-04 rack. The 90-92 Mark VII's can use the 94-04 steering shafts directly, and the racks. Sorry to tell you that you need a Fox rack, and that the MM hybrid shaft was about $240 last I checked.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Original rack,190K miles. The original universal joints on the steering shaft are tight. The popping is felt right around the pinion stub. Very strange. Almost as if there are a couple of damaged teeth on the rack. You'd think they'd be in the straight ahead position where there is a little play in the steering wheel but not enough to be bothersome. I think I will just keep driving it until it gets much worse. At least it's tight and doesn't leak!

Bob
Last edited by robertbweltzien on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Another interesting thing is that there is no popping with the front jacked up. I'd like to rebuild the rack myself but none of the kits I've seen contain a new pinion and rack bar (sigh).

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am

If we could find a rebuilder who does the actual rack you have that would be the best answer for the Mark VII owners. There are still plenty of good cores to build left, as yours is most likely. These are taken better care of, far better, so they could last as long as needed. It's the rebuilders who mix all racks up that are the problem, none of them you find easily will rebuild yours. They send you one and take yours as a core, so you have no clue what the new one is(obviously from a Mustang and wore out before).

I'm aiming at the 03/04 Cobra rack, as being the best(tightest/feel etc), but rebuilders do the same thing with those. There is a casting number on them, but the rebuilders can swap any internal parts, so you cannot know what you get even when they say it's from the right application. The Cardone unit is a 222000 part, but most examples turn out to be regular racks(minor differences but the road racers can tell them apart). I have an AGR rack I bought new, not wanting to risk going through the rebuilder deal, but this one is a bit stiff for my liking, made that way I'm sure, but I've driven an 03 Cobra and I think I'd prefer that OEM stiffness.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you for the advice, Don.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Bob,
Are the ball joints original?
If so, it's time.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks for the input, John. The ball joints and control arm bushings were replaced after I bought the car 14 years ago. Still nice and tight. The "snap" noise occurs about 3 times turning lock to lock and comes from the steering shaft stub on the rack, where there is some play but no leaks. The u- joint and rag joint are tight. Very odd!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 am

Also, I noticed it after replacing the inner tie rods late last year, which were quite loose. The noise goes away when the weight is off the front wheels, save for a slight creaking noise. There is a pop when turning either way from straight ahead (weight on the wheels) where there is the most play, 1/2" movement at steering wheel. The fact that it is more pronounced when weight is on the wheels does suggest ball joints or control arm bushings but I installed new ones on a set of control arms off of a parts car. The new BJs pressed in so easily that I had them arc welded to the arms, but with the joints unloaded they are tight as are the bushings when persuaded with a pry bar. The snap is localized to the pinion stub on the rack and I don't see any play at the linkage. The pinion stub does show play when the pop occurs. Nothing is felt through the steering wheel.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Hm.

Without starting the car and crawling under the front, I'm at a lost.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering