Rack for '89 LSC-temporary solution

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Rack for '89 LSC-temporary solution

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello guys. I know this question has been asked ad nauseum but My '89 LSC needs a rack so I want to put in a unit to hold me over for a year or two until I can do the SN95 conversion. There's a 1/2" of play back and forth when moving the wheels with the control arms up on jacks but no leaks. Tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings are good. Any suggestions or preference for the supplier (PepAdvNapAutZOReilCarQRockAutoSummit etc.) and what to watch out for? It looks like there's a lot of junk out there. Also, does it make sense to keep the old rack for a later home rebuild?

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Rack for '89 LSC-temporary solution

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:41 pm

If it doesn't leak then look at the steering shaft, the rag joint. That's where most play will begin. The Fox racks are more commonly sloppy when you get them as rebuilds now, so any original good rack is more valuable. If you had to keep the Fox rack and not go to the SN95 for a while, I'd try to find a still good Mark VII rack, they are likely better than any mustang version. We use better fluids etc.

BTW, you will have to buy the expensive MM hybrid steering shaft to convert your 89 to the SN95 rack. That's the only way to swap with the old full length type of steering column.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Don, is the rag joint/flexible coupling riveted to one of the steering shaft u-joints? Haven't got under it yet (110+ outside, just brought the wife back from the doc). Did anyone in the club post a picture? It's so weird that the tie rods can be moved back and forth in the rack with no leak but it makes sense that the rag/u-joint are probably spanked.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:39 am

It still looks like a bad rack. The Rag and universal joints are tight. The pinion stub on the rack also has play in the rack and the tie rods move 1/2" without moving anything else when moving the wheels manually with the control arms on jack stands. Strangely, the rack doesn't leak a drop. It this unusual? I Just want to eliminate the more obvious causes before putting in a probably loose rebuilt rack.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Has it ever lost any fluid, that you have added to it much? Mine didn't leak much at all early on, and then it lost more than it seemed to leak out. The fluid was building up inside the bellows, and eventually one of those came off the end, and it poured.

It's not a fun job to do that, plus it has to have an alignment afterwords.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks again Don and no, it never needed a top off and the fluid level has been the same for a few years. The pinion stub shaft having play really makes me think the whole rack is bad. Additionally when I filled the gas tank all the way this afternoon, gas poured out from under the plastic cover. I know the top is rusted when I changed the fuel pump 2 1/2 years ago. So if it isn't one thing, it's another. I'm taking care of my wife after she had a very bad heart attack so I have to fix all these issues in order to get her to all her medical appointments. I'm a medical doctor but I can't get a residency so no DEA license that would allow me to write scrips. Hey, at least she's alive so I can't ask for more. I try to think about Art's poor widow, Kat to put things in perspective!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 pm

God Bless you and your wife, keep at it.

Do the fuel pump first if you think it's the pickup assembly and not the tank itself.

I might be able to find a spare Mark VII rack if my friend has saved any of those. I know my first 91 LSC had 113k miles when we took it apart in 1998. That rack is probably around if we hunt for a while. My friend has a big garage that is full of parts and projects. Some things are easy to locate, and some he/we don't have a clue about. I haven't been over to see him and his wife in many weeks, I'm due to make the time to go see how they are doing.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks Don. I can make the ride up from the ATL if you find it.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:25 pm

I'll try to get there and look in a day or two. I'll call him sooner to see how they are doing, and the talk cars, and the parts.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Why is there such differences in rack prices? Does more expensive imply better quality? i.e. $65-$600. The $600 one is new. Also my steering is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Is that the performance version?

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:24 pm

I've decided to go with a rebuild unit through Autozone, Atlantic Automotive Engineering part #AA E6439. Unit is $123.99 and the core is $78.00. I think I'll keep the core for a future rebuild. The old rack is getting looser so it is now a safety issue. Just waiting for that check to clear, meanwhile a good cleaning under the engine/crossmember is in order at the do-it-yourself car Wash!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:05 pm

I've ruminated too much and the wife is getting impatient. I'm going to do the inner tie rods and be done with it a la Art's great write up. Shame to waste an otherwise good, leak free rack on the rebuilders.

Next is outer axle bearing repair kit, gas tank, timing chain and gears with a new balancer. Hello another 100K!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Bob, I hope that rack works well for you. I'm sorry that I couldn't get with you about my old rack, it seems that my friend hasn't seen any used racks. We have stripped three Mark VII's, but that was from about 1997-1999, mine was last in 99. I don't know where my old one got to, I would have considered using it before when mine was leaking.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:06 am

That's OK Don, and thanks for responding. I'm sure both inner tie rods are loose and I'll replace them this week. Much easier than doing a rack on your back in the driveway. The rack doesn't leak and has to be in better shape than a cheesy rebuild.

Bobcats
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:20 pm

New inner tie rods did it. The old ones were so loose they're like baby rattles!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Good to hear, the rack is more trouble than the TRE's.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Congratulations on the repair Robert.
You've shamed me into looking at the ones on my 1988.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Update: I've got a snapping noise emanating from the pinion gearset. It doesn't do it with the front wheels jacked up. The pinion shaft also has a slight bit of play. Otherwise there are no leaks and the steering is tight and the steering wheel is centered. The steering shaft universal and rag joints are also are tight. The snapping/clicking happens a couple of times when moving the steering wheel from lock to lock. At this point I'll leave it alone until I can find a new rack. At least it is relatively safe to drive now. I still don't want to put in a rebuild unit after all the horror stories about rebuilt racks!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering