Intense Grinding Sound

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Intense Grinding Sound

Postby CleanMachine89 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I had a good deal of troubleshooting luck from this community a year ago and was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction again.

The trouble exists with my right front wheel. Whenever turning the steering wheel to the left, I hear this sound, "kr kr kr kr kr". It is loudest at 15 degrees counterclockwise and going uphill. Lately, the sound has been happening even while going straight and having the foot off the accelerator. The sound cuts out immediately when I rotate right.

Now, it sounds like it might be obvious to somebody that has a look at it BUT 2 of my fellow mechanics had completely different ideas about what's causing it - one having to do with the suspension system and the other with the exhaust.

The only thing that makes the grinding sound better is pumping up the air suspension all the way. In the winter time, sometimes the sound goes away all on its own.

It randomly started while I was driving up a 10 degree incline. Figuring it was pebble and it would need some time to wear down.

This is otherwise spoiling a great riding experience. Thanks!
CleanMachine89

Return to Steering