Steering Shaft

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Re: Steering Shaft

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Don't remove the tie from the boot, just work on getting it to compress farther down. I hope that they all do compress enough to remove that shaft, mine did. Once that one is out of the upper shaft, then you can easily get the other one out.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby slickrick » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 pm

got it!! I read where u said take the top bolt out first, and that was what got it to go 10 times easier!! now im gonna take this one and get the joint put in it and i'll have a spare! The used one I put in is real tight though dunno if thats because its been sitting a while, hoping it will losen up after i drive for a while! Yea the boot kinda fell apart while getting it out, hope that does'nt cause me stress in the future! For now though its riding with NO play in the steering for the first time!! :D
slickrick

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Well done, those parts do last a long time so now it's finally coming up. I have a used 98 Mustang shaft in mine right now, I'll probably get a new aftermarket piece sometime later.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby slickrick » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 pm

well i knew i wouldnt get off that easy!! My steering feels worst than a few Non-power steering cars Ive drove? I dont know if something is messed up in the column? maybe I didnt put the steering wheel back inthe same position, because I spun it around a few times while it was disconnected from the upper shaft when i installed it? I heard some cracking and grinding noises in side the column? I know my Power steering pump is leaking and probably goin bad, but do you think it could have just crapped the bed or is there some mechanism in the column I could have messed up?
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 pm

SLICKRICK,
What year is your car?
The '90 and later use a clock-spring wiring harness under the steering wheel. If you spun that around before installing it, you may had trashed the clock-spring. Earlier models don't have that problem.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby slickrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 am

artbaileyjr wrote:SLICKRICK,
What year is your car?
The '90 and later use a clock-spring wiring harness under the steering wheel. If you spun that around before installing it, you may had trashed the clock-spring. Earlier models don't have that problem.

Art

It is a 90. That kinda sounds like that could be it I probably messed it up. There are 2 of those springs right? Any way to diagnose if thats the problem? The steering is tighter than anything Ive ever driven before?
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 am

In the lower left of the below picture, you will see a black doughnut lookin' thing. That is the clock-spring.

It is mounted between the steering wheel and the steering column. Inside of it, there is a ribbon cable that provides the airbag (driver restraint) the cruise control and the horn signals through the ribbon cable from the steering wheel to the steering column. It will only turn so far in each direction until either the ribbon cable becomes stretched to it's limit or it bunches up. There is actually no spring in there. If you turned the wheel several times before connecting the steering shaft, you probably trashed the clock-spring. If the ribbon cable is bunched up, then it is possible that hard steering could result. If it is stretched to it's limit, than steering in one direction would be harder than the other, in either event, it's not good.

I would remove the steering wheel and the clock-spring and see if it [the clock-spring] turns OK. If not, it's off to the bone yard. Fortunately, most full sized Ford land yachts from the early '90's used them, so hey are pretty plentiful.

When removing one, make sure that the steering wheel on the donor car is forward and install it in the same orientation. I'm sure that there is some procedure, but I don't have a manual handy. Just install it the way you found it and don't wind it up.

Good luck,
Art

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby slickrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:11 am

I saw where u posted wheel puller? is that a special tool neede to remove the clock spring?
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 am

Nope.
But I usually use a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel from almost ~any~ car. The clock-spring is just held in with screws.
Steering wheel pullers are cheap.
Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

The instructions for doing the clock spring are usually printed on them. It is basically to gently/carefully wind it one direction(tightening of the ribbon), until it barely resists, and then going the other way about three revolutions(it's on the part). That places the assembly in the middle of the ribbon's range of motion.

I have a spare which I don't think has been hurt, it's been stored here since 1999. Let me know if you want one.

BTW, if it gets damaged, the horn, cruise control, and/or airbags will not work right. Check the horn and the CC.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby slickrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm

pulled two today. One out of a 91 mustang and a 90 town car! Now I know why i need a wheel puller having messed up at least one plug on each spring i pulled!( Can i just cut and reconnect my connectors to the new spring i pulled?)The one for the mustang looks a little different than ours, because its black in the middle! The clock spring in our car has a white centerpiece just like the one from the town car! The wheel locked so i think thats why the towncars ribbon wont spin but I would rather use the mustang one cause it does spin! Will that mustang one be a direct ft, because the round plug on the mustang clockspring is the one I messed up! It has kinda the same color wires but there a little different?
slickrick

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:40 pm

The way they mount has to match most of all, then the wiring. I have no need for mine soon, I hunted to find a later model car to get the column from, just to get the clock spring version that has enough wires for radio and AC controls. Think Marauder.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby slickrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

The one off the mustang has the same ammount of wires and the colors are almost identicle just dont know if the wire color would be different? The one off the towncar If the steering wheel was locked in position when i took the clockspring out would the ribbon be locked an unable to spin until i put it back in???
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 pm

No. The clock-spring has nothing to do with the steering lock. If you can transplant the connectors onto the Mustang one, just make sure that they are the same at both ends as the one you removed from your car. Wire color means nothing, but the pins at each end must be the same.

In other words, you can substitute one color for another, just make sure that the ones that you substitute match at both ends.

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby slickrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:
It is mounted between the steering wheel and the steering column. Inside of it, there is a ribbon cable that provides the airbag (driver restraint) the cruise control and the horn signals through the ribbon cable from the steering wheel to the steering column. It will only turn so far in each direction until either the ribbon cable becomes stretched to it's limit or it bunches up. There is actually no spring in there. If you turned the wheel several times before connecting the steering shaft, you probably trashed the clock-spring. If the ribbon cable is bunched up, then it is possible that hard steering could result. If it is stretched to it's limit, than steering in one direction would be harder than the other, in either event, it's not good.

I would remove the steering wheel and the clock-spring and see if it [the clock-spring] turns OK. If not, it's off to the bone yard. Fortunately, most full sized Ford land yachts from the early '90's used them, so hey are pretty plentiful.

When removing one, make sure that the steering wheel on the donor car is forward and install it in the same orientation. I'm sure that there is some procedure, but I don't have a manual handy. Just install it the way you found it and don't wind it up.

Good luck,
Art

yea well it was deffinately the ribbon. Guess Ill know better even though u guys told me not to mess with the wheel while it was disconnected from the upper steering shaft! lol

Swapped it with the one from the town took thrity minutes. I did notice something though my airbag was not plugged in? I got this car as a salvage vehicle (drove it away when i bought it) and rebuilt and titled it as such. had to pass an Inspection to get a Title. wondering why the airbag was un plugged? I didnt plug it back in because i thought maybe there is a sensor issue? other than that its driving beautifully
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Yup!
I'd say it's toast! :lol:

Glad you found the problem. 8-)

Art

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 pm

If you need a little more room to get a lower shaft out (new or old style) back the nuts off for the rack almost to the end and pry the rack away from the crossmember. You won't be fighting to compress it so much.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Postby slickrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

mine was not to bad it compressed very easy once i figured out what I was doing! Leaving the bottom bolt on the upper shaft was what made it easier to compress. Drove it to and from Alabama today and it drove amazing. I havent been driving in a long time to where i was looking down checking how fast i was going!! (gotta Respect the POLICE) Thanks alot for all the help!
slickrick

Postby artbaileyjr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:45 am

Glad you got it all fixed up.
Congratulations!

Art

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:45 am.

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Previous

Return to Steering