Steering specs

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Steering specs

Postby Hiredguns » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Well, since I bought my mark a few weeks ago I've had to address a few issues that have reared their ugly heads. One of which was replacing the steering rack. The old one just kind of went wonkers. So I've replaced that and aligned everything as best I could with a tape measure, being careful to try and put everything back where it was before I removed everything. I'll say this, it was at least driveable enough to get it to work. So after work I put it on our alignment rack to have our alignment guy set the toe. I figured that would be the only thing I screwed up. So anyhow, he hooked up all the alignment heads and went to town. He set the Toe at +0.01* on each side. Now call me crazy, but that aint much toe.
I asked him if that's where it should be and his reply was "oh, on a little car like that it will be fine". I disagree. I know an engineer with a lot more degrees than him figured out the optimum toe angle before these cars were ever released to the public.

I'm going to put it back on the rack after work tomorrow and redo it myself. I want it in spec. Which brings me to my problem. Our Book at work doesn't list the Mk7. It doesn't go back that far. Does anyone here know what the factory spec is supposed to be for the toe on my '89 LSC?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. My Mark doesn't drive like I feel it should.
Hiredguns
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Steering specs

Postby CDW6212R » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

I would call an alignment shop, but it should be a little negative. Going positive would be fine for racing, but not typical for any street vehicle.

When you are satisfied with the parts, flush the PS fluid well, and use the best that you can. Add some additive also, like Lubegard. The steering racks are becoming rare and worn out. Parts store units will have wear in them, so they don't last as long, or worse. So keep yours in great shape, keep the fluid really good and clean, to lengthen the life of the rack and pump.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 pm

There should be 1/8" min -1/4" max toe in. (+1/8" - +1/4")
Don't forget to let the suspension "trim" once it's on the rack or shut the suspension switch off before putting it on the rack.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby Hiredguns » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am

artbaileyjr wrote:There should be 1/8" min -1/4" max toe in. (+1/8" - +1/4")
Don't forget to let the suspension "trim" once it's on the rack or shut the suspension switch off before putting it on the rack.

Art

Thanks! Our machine measures in degrees but I can work with those numbers. I didn't think he had it right. Guess that goes to show that if you want it done right you really do have to do it yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by letting the suspension "trim" though. But if it has anything to do with the air suspension I guess I won't be doing that. There was a new set of Arnott springs installed, replacing the bags just before I bought the car. :(
Hiredguns
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 am

Yep... I understand. If you have coils, nevermind about the "trim" thing. :lol:

Art :D

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby Hiredguns » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 am

well, all too often people start a thread asking for help but never post the final results of the repair. I hate that. So here are the final results.

Set Toe at +0.125* left and right for total toe of approximately 1/8" positive.

The car handles better than the day I brought it home, and I was pretty impressed then. If everyone says that these cars handle better with the bags than they do coils I have got to get me one with coils! And I think I may be sniffing the trail of that one right now.... :twisted:
Hiredguns
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am

Congratulations on the successful adjustment and good luck with the one that you are stalking! 8-)

Art :D

artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Is it a positive toe setting? I'll have to ask my shop what mine is the next time I have it aligned.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 am

Hiredguns wrote:well, all too often people start a thread asking for help but never post the final results of the repair. I hate that. So here are the final results.

Set Toe at +0.125* left and right for total toe of approximately 1/8" positive.

The car handles better than the day I brought it home, and I was pretty impressed then. If everyone says that these cars handle better with the bags than they do coils I have got to get me one with coils! And I think I may be sniffing the trail of that one right now.... :twisted:

Congratulations!

Now you know why many of us own more than one Mark VII ;)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering