Ignition Lock Cylinder Jammed

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Jammed

Postby K MANIAC » Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Greetings All:

I recently experienced this anomoly with my 1986 Continental. I went to start the car one day and the ignition lock cylinder acted as if I put the wrong key in the lock. After playing with it a little, the key rotated and the car started. I parked the car in my driveway and shut it off. Now I am unable to start the car again as the ignition lock will not rotate any more than normal play and again acts as if I have the wrong ignition key is in the lock, using both of my factory keys, and regardless of either position I insert the keys.

I removed the steering wheel and disassembled the top of the column to reveal the ignition switch actuator mechanism. The ignition switch actuating rod does move back and forth withing the keyless play of the lock cylinder. It seems to me I have a failure of the lock cylinder. But before I take on the drastic action of drilling out the original lock cylinder to remove it, I thought I would share this with all of you in hopes I could get a little feedback as to what the problem might be or if I may have missed something in the process. Does anyone have any thoughts?
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder Jammed

Postby slickrick » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

sounds like the way mine got rough and I broke my key off in it! Is the 86 have the same ignition switch? If so any Junk yard has an abundance and very cheap. There is a small pin hole that u push in and the ignition switch will slide out then you can replace it with one you got!
slickrick

Postby CDW6212R » Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello Kris, I've had that happen with two cars, my first, a 72 Gran Torino, and my old 86 Crown Vic.

Is there any chance that you can get it turned to the run position? That's the only place it can be to remove it easily, by pushing in the detent button mentioned. If you cannot, you have to get seriously physical with it. First try hard in any way to force it to the run position.

Try to fish any tiny parts or pieces out of the key hole, and use the keys to try to move it. If that won't work you basically have to drill it out until you can turn it enough to use the detent button. Once it's finally out, you can install a new cylinder, and re-key it(change the tumblers) if you really wanted to. That would require spare tumblers, and the old key or cylinder from the doors(those match right). Most likely you will just get a new cylinder and live with the new keys. Good luck, that's not a fun task.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby artbaileyjr » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

I'd spray some lubricant (WD40) into the lock slot and rapidly "saw" the key back and forth while applying a slight back and forth motion to the key wings. (Such as you would when normally operating the switch)
A pin may have become jammed in the depressed position, not allowing the assembly to turn. Some lubricant and some movement of the pins may free the offending pin and dislodge whatever accumulated substance that caused it to jam to begin with.

Art
..... It's more about the people, than it is about the cars .....

... 1988 LSC 5 spd - Shifty ............... 1990 LSC SE - Trusty ............... 1991 LSC SE - Dusty ...
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... uide1.html
http://www.lincolnlandonline.com/index.html
1984 Base Turbo diesel, Silver - 1986 Bill Blass, Med Sandlewood, - 1988 LSC, Shadow Blue - 1988 LSC, Black, 5 spd -1988 Bill Blass, White - 1990 SE, Black
1991 SE, Black - 1991 LSC, Currant Red - 1991 LSC, White - 1991 SE, Currant Red. All straight, licensed, garaged and completely dependable.
artbaileyjr
DECEASED MEMBERS

Location: Southeast Idaho or Southern Ca, depending on the season!

Postby CDW6212R » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm

True, a lubricant can help, with age it needs something.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Mon May 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, I went down to my favorite auto parts store and bought a new lock cylinder. My buddy behind the counter suggested rapping the lock pin with a hammer and punch to remove the stuck lock cylinder, something he had experience with. So I rapped on the lock pin a few times with a punch and when I inserted the old key the lock TURNED! Then I depressed the lock pin and out came the old cylinder. New lock cylinder is installed and all is good with the world.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby tomnh » Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm

CDW6212R wrote:True, a lubricant can help, with age it needs something.

:twisted: :roll:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby K MANIAC » Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 pm

CDW6212R wrote:True, a lubricant can help, with age it needs something.

I tried adding lubricant, but the K-Y Jelly just gummed up the works. :lol:

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm

K MANIAC wrote:Well, I went down to my favorite auto parts store and bought a new lock cylinder. My buddy behind the counter suggested rapping the lock pin with a hammer and punch to remove the stuck lock cylinder, something he had experience with. So I rapped on the lock pin a few times with a punch and when I inserted the old key the lock TURNED! Then I depressed the lock pin and out came the old cylinder. New lock cylinder is installed and all is good with the world.

Excellent, smacking it dislodged the debris enough to let you use the key.

Make a note, treat it like an old TV.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby K MANIAC » Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 am

CDW6212R wrote:
K MANIAC wrote:Well, I went down to my favorite auto parts store and bought a new lock cylinder. My buddy behind the counter suggested rapping the lock pin with a hammer and punch to remove the stuck lock cylinder, something he had experience with. So I rapped on the lock pin a few times with a punch and when I inserted the old key the lock TURNED! Then I depressed the lock pin and out came the old cylinder. New lock cylinder is installed and all is good with the world.

Excellent, smacking it dislodged the debris enough to let you use the key.

Make a note, treat it like an old TV.

...and just to add, when I returned the old lock cylinder to the lock position, it jammed again, but at least I got the old key out.

1986 Continental
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

That sounds right, and take it apart and see how tiny the tumblers are. I watched a locksmith rebuild two door/hatch cylinders to match my ignition cylinder. It's a little puzzle full of differing tiny pieces.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Congratulations Chris!

I've never been able to cleanly remove a lock cylinder without a key.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:16 pm

oldschool1 wrote:Congratulations Chris!

I've never been able to cleanly remove a lock cylinder without a key.

Didn't you see Repo Man? They practically spell out how to remove a key cylinder.

(I don't know if it would work, but it looks cool!)
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby White Lincoln » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:19 pm

artbaileyjr wrote:I'd spray some lubricant ... Art

That was my first thought when reading K-Man's thread.

Glad you got the key cylinder out and fixed K-Man.

Last time my key cylinder was giving me crap, I pulled it out and took it apart, cleaned it, lubricated it, put it back together and have had no trouble since.

I hated having two differnet keys to get into my car and start it.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 pm

White Lincoln wrote:
artbaileyjr wrote:I'd spray some lubricant ... Art

That was my first thought when reading K-Man's thread.

Glad you got the key cylinder out and fixed K-Man.

Last time my key cylinder was giving me crap, I pulled it out and took it apart, cleaned it, lubricated it, put it back together and have had no trouble since.

I hated having two differnet keys to get into my car and start it.

Ditto, I'm about to change my ignition cylinder because it goes with the 04 steering column I need. I don't think there is another door key cylinder that will work from a similar late car, and of course it wouldn't have the lighted feature either.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering