1988 LSC Rack question

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

1988 LSC Rack question

Postby scanky1988 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Guys,

Wrong Rack & Pinion............

I am having my original rack and pinion replaced as it badly worn. Lots of drifting and bobbing around... Yup , I never saw one with that much slack in each wheel. My choice was to purchase new from the internet. It came with a "Garuanteed to Fit" promise. Not So........... Well, now that I have the shop hoist tied up we find that the mounting bolts on the car are much smaller in diamitor and quite a bit longer than the new rack. The supplier seems to not have any answers as of Friday 9:00 PM I may just have to go to the local parts shop for a rebuilt so we can free up the hoist at the garage. The new rack bolts are about 13 mm accross Any ideas here?

My BIG, BIG question is: What is the OEM turning radious on the rack? What is available is 2.5 sporting or 3.0 standard.......... Which should I buy???

Thanks in advance.......

Scanky1988
scanky1988

Re: 1988 LSC Rack question

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Welcome to the forum. What is the issue with the bolts? The OEM bolts should work fine, with either new rack bushings or the old if there is no other choice. I installed a new rack last year, and it came with new urethane bushings(very hard). I couldn't use all four of those bushings, so instead of fighting it longer, I used two good OEM rubber inner bushings, and the new hard outer pieces went in easily. The bushing inner diameters and depth were the same and likely what any Fox Mustang rack bushings are.

The turning radius of these cars is poor in stock form, I'd select the shorter(quicker) steering given a choice. That's the smaller number.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby tomnh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 pm

The Rack.
There is 2 types of racks. One is slow steering, the other is quick steering. you want a quick steering rack. Our racks are the same as a mustang. The slop you felt is from the mounting bushings. I used urathane bushings on mine. I got my rack at advanautopepnapa store. Remember, quick steering or performance. :)

moved to steering for better coverage
ADMIN
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby scanky1988 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the posts........... The problem with the new rack was that they basically had a wrong bolt and bushing already in the mounting.. I gave up on that unit and bought a rebuilt. I check the turning ratio on the old rack and it is defintaly 2.5 wheel turns end to end. I replaced it with the same ratio. Also replaced both tie rod ends and had it aligned. All is good now.
scanky1988

Postby tomnh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. :D
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Return to Steering