Steering Wheel Yaw

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Steering Wheel Yaw

Postby edge27663 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:45 am

Hello again,
I have noticed over the past few weeks that my steering wheel seems to be slightly yawed. In that the left side is farther away than the right side, so instead of being perfectly perpendicular to the road it is slightly pointed to the right of the car. Is this common? I don't remember it being like this the last time I drove it (last summer). Or is it an optical illusion due to perhaps the dash being slightly buldged on the driver door side?
On, perhaps a related note, when I parked the car in the summer it had a power steering leak that happened for like a day. Let it sit over winter, my second car broke down so I pulled out the lincoln and the leak seems to have stopped completely (yes the fluid is full).

Thanks
edge27663

Re: Steering Wheel Yaw

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm

If the car has been sitting for some time, check the trim height in the front. If one side sits lower than the other, that will throw off the toe setting and move the steering wheel off center. If that is the case, then one of the air springs isn't filling completely, is leaking or the height sensor on the control arm has come off or is broken. Just a place to start.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby edge27663 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Bob,
So one side does sits very slightly lower than the other, and has for awhile. I don't think I have a leak in the springs as it takes forever for them to start lowering when its been sitting (weeks). When you say that the steering wheel might move off center, do you mean as I do where the steering wheel itself seems farther for my left hand to reach than my right hand? Or do you mean it doesn't drive straight with respect to the bottom of the wheel.
Would an alignment correct this if I can't find anything wrong with the springs?
Would the air suspension self test be able to help me figure out if something is wrong with the sensor?
edge27663

Postby CDW6212R » Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Check it at ride height after the compressor has run, and shut off. If the left and right sides are not the same, to the eye, then start with the height sensors in front. Those front sensors have three settings, easily spotted by eye, and changed with a Torx bit, small around a size T25. After that you are looking for damaged parts, like control arm bushings etc. Good luck,
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering