Ps leak

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

Ps leak

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34 am

Hello.
My Lsc decided to dump some ps fluid overnight, pump was making noise so I adds some ps fluid and all was back to normal after a few minutes.
Problem is the leak has not returned. I put about 80 miles since then and everything is still fine, no oil on the ground when parked or running.
I was supposed to drive the car from Ny to Boston for a few days but decided not to risk it.
Leak looks like it was coming from around the place where the steering shaft meets the rack.
So it could be the rack, or the lines going into it. But now the leak has stopped and I don't know what to do about it.

I'd gladly change the rack if only I knew the rebuilt cardone rack will be perfect. Changing out the rack from a 94-up mustang is a costlier option requiring the steering shaft change as well.

Any thoughts? Lucas power steering stop leak?

Taking the car for a 400 mile cruise/camping trip this weekend .
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
-----------------------------------
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460

Dave 92 LSC

Re: Ps leak

Postby oldray » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

Dave 92 LSC wrote: if only I knew the rebuilt cardone rack will be perfect. is a costlier option .

Disclosure / warning: Mark VII rookie.

See above, sorry I do not have any tech info pertaining to the above problem; a real person will be along soon, but in many years of working on cars not many problems have fixed themselves, the leak will come back eventually. On my shop truck with a rebuilt mustang rack I chased a fitting leak for over a year.

My gray hair tells me that this is not only a tech situation but an emotional one as well, balancing the concern VS the quality of the replacement part along with the cost factor. That is at least a three part equation so I think you have to pick which one of them is most important, change the rack with a new one if that might eliminate the leak and your anxieties, "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" which as Meat Loaf sang , is always all you ever get anyway. Or drive it until it breaks, or?

:)
oldray

Location: Invermere, Rocky Mountains British Columbia, Canada

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Dave, could the leak have been from turning the steering wheel with the engine off?

Check the steering rack baffles carefully if you think the rack may be the leak. The fluid can build up in the tie rod baffles and not leak for quite a while. Mine were nearly full when I got around to swapping the rack(and it leaked a lot by then.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Thank you.

I drove the car Saturday morning at 6 am.
Sunday morning at 6 am there was a puddle underneath the rack.
Filled up the power steering box and went for a drive. Pump was noisy for a few minutes and then settled in.

Are you saying it's leaking from the inner tie rod, and filling up inside the boot? (Sleeve).

I assure you I have no problem paying money for a rack if I was sure it will be up to a standard of a factory replacement new rack. Unfortunately the rebuilt racks are a toss up from what I hear.
I would hate to have sloppy steering again and a leak within a year.
I've changed the rack myself once on my 88 10 years ago and I remember it was no picnic. Even though I'll have this done at some shop, I'd hate to do,it all over again. I went out of my way to replace all air bags with factory firestone units. So I want to do this right and be done with it. I'm not terribly pleases with our steering as it is, so making it better would make me happier, and make the cruising a lot more smoother too.

Dave
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460

Dave 92 LSC

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Since you suggested the leak hadn't come back, I suggested the possibilities that are harder to find. Mine was that kind of internal leak, the rack seals gave out and it came out the baffles, the vent tube mostly.

If you do think it could use an improvement, I would move away from the Fox racks. You already know that the rebuilds are getting iffy etc, and the SN95 parts do get better reviews. I'd select between the SN95 racks, rebuilt or new, or aftermarket new. I think they should all be very similar, with the one 03/04 Cobra OEM rack supposedly the best, but hardly noticeable from other aftermarket SN95 racks. I saw the rebuilt Cobra rack at $275, and decided on the $325 new ARG unit.

The used SN95 steering shaft is not hard to get, I think they are worth it if the mileage isn't too high. I might get an aftermarket steering shaft much later, but my used one(1999) has no play right now.

For other readers, the SN95 rack/shaft parts are plug and play for 90-92 Marks, but not for the 84-89's.
Last edited by CDW6212R on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:29 am

Well the leak has not come back. I'm not sure if it healed itself or what, maybe it's magic, maybe a miracle, in which case I hope the car converts to IRS out back and sprouts a KB blower upfront.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the leak will come back at some point, till then, Happy Motoring!!

Dave
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460

Dave 92 LSC

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Mine began kind of like that, about seven years ago. It would leak just very rarely, and happily it didn't seem to be spread all over the parts under the front, just a little puddle. It took a few years before I saw a leak and wetness on the areas around the baffles. The leak finally got fast enough that it was leaving puddles on both sides, and I got tired of refilling it etc.

Hopefully your steering wheel was just turned quickly with the engine off, and it pushed some out the top of the PS pump cap.
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering