steering wheel shake

Discussion of STOCK column, pump, rack, pinion, linkage systems.

steering wheel shake

Postby MashmyMotor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:10 am

I may have posted this question before,but can't recall...so what the hey...here it is again ;)

At times, I get a very nasty steering wheel shake...to the point where I have to pull over to the side of the road and sit. Waiting a few minutes,then driving again,and its not there.

This does not happen often tho. I think maybe four or five times in the last 16 years/16k miles. I am pretty sure it isn't ball joints or tie rods,as the car will track dead on on the highway and wiggle/jiggling the steering wheel,the car responds immediately,no slop to be felt. The front tires have about 5600 miles on them and look brand new,no wear whatsoever.

Someone mentioned the steering rack..what happens to it when it goes on the fritz?

TIA..

Jim
MashmyMotor

Re: steering wheel shake

Postby 2manymarks » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:12 pm

MashmyMotor wrote:I may have posted this question before,but can't recall...so what the hey...here it is again ;)

At times, I get a very nasty steering wheel shake...to the point where I have to pull over to the side of the road and sit. Waiting a few minutes,then driving again,and its not there.

This does not happen often tho. I think maybe four or five times in the last 16 years/16k miles. I am pretty sure it isn't ball joints or tie rods,as the car will track dead on on the highway and wiggle/jiggling the steering wheel,the car responds immediately,no slop to be felt. The front tires have about 5600 miles on them and look brand new,no wear whatsoever.

Someone mentioned the steering rack..what happens to it when it goes on the fritz?

TIA..

Jim

Next time it happens, pull over and feel all hubs for temperature. A hot front one could cause the shake due to a sticking brake caliper. 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Steering