soooooooooo heavy

race tracks, track times, tuning, dynos

Re: soooooooooo heavy

Postby 2manymarks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 am

artbaileyjr wrote:
bigmark303 wrote: .... Art, we seem to be on the same page. ....

Indeed.

I would have to agree! 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Redlyr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 am

I have owned three Mustangs before my Mark VII. I realize it will never been that car or even that style of car.

I do love my Mark VII for what it is. Sure I have done a few mods to it (full exhaust and trashed the dead air suspension) and have many more planned but, I really don't want to make it unrecognizable as a Mark VII.

The seats are going to go on mine. The leather is mangled pretty bad and the motors are shot. I would love to get some sport racing seats for it if I could afford them. Right now I have will have to deal with the patched up stockers.

I am going to leave the interior of the Mark pretty much stock except for the seats and the necessary mods for a 5-speed. I will just have to add a hundred or so horsepower to offset some of that weight.
A new top end and maybe a 5-6psi centri supercharger would be nice.

The Mark will not be relegated to track use for me. I plan on keeping her cruising down the highway for many years to come. I have never felt so at home in car like I do with this one. Nothing beats the growl and roar of the that small block winding up to overtake on the highway.
-Sean
1990 Clear Crystal Blue Frost Mark VII LSC 5.0 Auto "Detroit Dinosaur"- 96k miles. T5 swap w/CenterForce clutch and 50Resto STS, Full coil conversion w/KYB GR-2/Gas-A-Just struts/shocks, 225/60R16 Fuzion ZRi tires, air silencer delete, BBK O/R H-pipe, custom 2.5" catback w/ Hooker Header's Maxium Flows dumped (BBK chrome unequal shorties, 75mm TB and EGR, and ported Explorer intake in the box)
It is for sale! PM me.

2012 Ingot Silver Metallic Ford Fiesta S 1.6L Ti-VCT 5-Speed- 6k miles
Redlyr

Postby Akurei14 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 am

bigmark303 wrote:
Akurei14 wrote:Swap in non-power mustang sport seats 50-70 lbs (most stang sport seats still have 6 way manual adjustment too!)

I just caught this. Just so you dont stuck after you install your Mustang seats, Mustang seats may bolt to the Mark VII seat track frame but you will not be able to move the seat forward and back on the track because you need the power motor to lock and unlock the gear to move the seat. That feature is on the seat track and not the seat itself.

Also the Mark VII seat off the track weighs maybe 5-10lbs more than a Mustang seat. All the weight is in the seat track. The motors you will remove weigh about 5lbs together. You wont lose much weight to justify junky Mustang seats in a nice Mark VII.

False, alse and false..

THe seats are in the car, and the track still has it's power functions, while the 86 GT sport seats, provide MORE adjustability than the Mark seat, and they still move every way the mark seats did, no problem. The seat track has the motors for the front/rear tilt, moving forward ad back. The seat itself has manual lumbar, lean, and bolster adjustments, aswell as better looking halo head-rests.
Off the track, the mark seats weigh 20lbs more, each per seat than the stang seats I have...
And these seats are comfy as hell, won't tear, and with covers, they look great in the mark.
It's not like I put base model or crap seats in it. I'm young, so A/C and fancy seats aren't a loss to me. As for kiling the luxury, go look up what a BMW M3 CSL is, then come back and talk about what a luxury car can be. That's what I'm after with my car... if Lincoln made a special run of LSCs with abit more power, 5speed, etc. Hell I'm keeping the air ride tho... that should appease most of you, lol
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
Engine:
Fenderwell CAI
65mm TB
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake
u/d pulleys
a/c delete
smog delete
EGR delete
solid motor mounts
180* T-stat
14* Timing and 93 Octane

Trans:
T5 World Class
Pro 5.0 shifter
stock clutch setup
BBK quadrant, cable, and adjuster
double hump-crossmember
Custom 1 piece steel driveshaft

Exhaust:
BBK 1&5/8" shorties
Mac or H-pipe
Dynomax catback

Suspension:
Energy Suspension front control arm bushings
CHE lower rear control arms
CHE upper rear control arms
Hawk HPE Street front pads
Akurei14

Postby bigmark303 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Akurei14 wrote:
bigmark303 wrote:
Akurei14 wrote:Swap in non-power mustang sport seats 50-70 lbs (most stang sport seats still have 6 way manual adjustment too!)

I just caught this. Just so you dont stuck after you install your Mustang seats, Mustang seats may bolt to the Mark VII seat track frame but you will not be able to move the seat forward and back on the track because you need the power motor to lock and unlock the gear to move the seat. That feature is on the seat track and not the seat itself.

Also the Mark VII seat off the track weighs maybe 5-10lbs more than a Mustang seat. All the weight is in the seat track. The motors you will remove weigh about 5lbs together. You wont lose much weight to justify junky Mustang seats in a nice Mark VII.

False, alse and false..

THe seats are in the car, and the track still has it's power functions, while the 86 GT sport seats, provide MORE adjustability than the Mark seat, and they still move every way the mark seats did, no problem. The seat track has the motors for the front/rear tilt, moving forward ad back. The seat itself has manual lumbar, lean, and bolster adjustments, aswell as better looking halo head-rests.
Off the track, the mark seats weigh 20lbs more, each per seat than the stang seats I have...
And these seats are comfy as hell, won't tear, and with covers, they look great in the mark.
It's not like I put base model or crap seats in it. I'm young, so A/C and fancy seats aren't a loss to me. As for kiling the luxury, go look up what a BMW M3 CSL is, then come back and talk about what a luxury car can be. That's what I'm after with my car... if Lincoln made a special run of LSCs with abit more power, 5speed, etc. Hell I'm keeping the air ride tho... that should appease most of you, lol

Just wanted you to be informed. I figured you would remove the motors from the track if weight reduction is what you are after seeing all the weight is in the seat tracks and not the seats themselves. Not sure what seats you are using that each off the track compared to the Mark VII seats is a 20lb difference. Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, and Mark VII of those years seats all weighed within 5-10lbs of each other. There were only two differnet seat frames they used, thats why they all bolt up to each others seat tracks.

While I do think the BMW M3 line of cars is sharp looking, the M3 itself is not a luxury car nevermind the CSL. The M3 body itself is already performance orientated in its design unlike a Mark VII body. The base model M3 is already a very capable car while only offering minor luxury itself because its a performance based model. The CSL is a go-kart in an M3 shell. I Work with a BMW tech who is a friend of mine on the weekends if he needs a hand or gets a nice model to work on 8-) . Ive never driven the CSL model but have had the joy of driving one of the Dealerships CSL GTR models. Same thing as CSL only with a 4 liter V8. The car was awesome but I would never wish that kind of performance on a Mark VII because it would never be able to be used. It would only be a tease to such a large (but beautiful) awkward car. Plus it was not comfortable and enjoyable in any other way but hammering corners on the freeway and overtaking other cars. Even the base model M3 is a very uncomfortble car for driving.

If straight line drag is what you are after you will enjoy the Mark VII in a stripped down state, but anything else you will be much happier with a car that has been engineered for that type of performance.

Just removing parts from the car that can be bolted back in is one thing, what really bugs most of the Mark VII lovers is when the car is unrecognizable or heavily altered where rare parts mainly interior are ruined to achieve the owners goal of what they want from the car.
bigmark303

Postby Akurei14 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Well removing total comfort isn't my goal, I want a comfy, quick, gran tourer. I weighed both sets of seats, that was the difference I found. But eventually my car will get handling mods aswell, I just want a good al arounder. But it will see the drag strip on occasion, but with a solid rear axle, I'm not that concerned.
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
Engine:
Fenderwell CAI
65mm TB
Explorer Upper and Lower Intake
u/d pulleys
a/c delete
smog delete
EGR delete
solid motor mounts
180* T-stat
14* Timing and 93 Octane

Trans:
T5 World Class
Pro 5.0 shifter
stock clutch setup
BBK quadrant, cable, and adjuster
double hump-crossmember
Custom 1 piece steel driveshaft

Exhaust:
BBK 1&5/8" shorties
Mac or H-pipe
Dynomax catback

Suspension:
Energy Suspension front control arm bushings
CHE lower rear control arms
CHE upper rear control arms
Hawk HPE Street front pads
Akurei14

Postby thunderjet » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:52 pm

No need to remove stuff from your Mark VII, just add more power to compensate for the extra weight :D . My Thunderbird weighs 3710lbs with me as a driver (I weigh 155lbs), within 200lbs of a Mark VII, and I just added more power to go faster while keeping all the luxury stuff. The Thunderbird has power windows, lock, mirrors, dual power leather seats with power recline, electronic climate control, auto lamp and auto dim, factory premium sound with amp and EQ, 24oz carpet and extra sound deadening. It’s basically a Mark VII sans the air suspension. If I pulled all this extra equipment out would it be faster? Yes. Do I want to? No. If I want the car to go any faster I’ll just add more power. The problem is that most people want to go fast but they don't want to spend any money to do so. If you want to go fast stop screwing around with stock parts and get yourself a decent set of aluminum heads, cam, and intake. It's easier and cheaper to spend money once and do it right.
1988 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70mm TB, 80mm PMAS slot MAF, 30lb injectors, Comp 266HR cam, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, FRPP shorty headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI Stallion converter, 3.73 Traction-Lok.
Other rides: 2011 Focus in blue flame, 2012 Mustang 3.7 in grabber blue, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
thunderjet

Postby mfowler1988 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm

well the 331 stroker is done and back in the car just finishing up with bolt ons im sooooooooo excited to hear it run its been too long ... I WANT TO DRIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
mfowler1988

Postby Stargazer LSC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 am

JR86LSC wrote:I got the mark about 2 years ago, can't tell you how many people stop me and tell me about the marks they used to own and how much they would love one again. I even had a biker, on the PA Turnpike ride up next to me at 70mph just to give me the thumbs up and to say "Thats an awesome car!". That alone will prompt me to keep this car in the garage to keep throwing money at it. Then you throw in the idea that maybe one day, with enough time, money, sweat, beer, and lots of expletives , you might surprise the hell out of some people.

Ill take a mark anyday

+1

As much as I want a faster car (and just you wait, this is Charisma's year. This is the year we beat all the try-hards, but I digress) I simply cannot live without the attention the Mark VII pulls in. Several times last summer I had people calling over to me while driving around asking about the engine, or the suspension, or just to say "sick car, man!"

I'll live with second place if it comes with comments like "I didn't know that car could do that!" or "it's still a sweet car!"
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma" (R.I.P.)
Stargazer LSC

Postby 86mkviilsc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

I'm just going to assume you've done the basics, gears are a good start and maybe a 100 shot to race, sounds like its where you want to go
86mkviilsc

Previous

Return to Racing