10.75 @ 125. I even surprised myself.

race tracks, track times, tuning, dynos

10.75 @ 125. I even surprised myself.

Postby pkv88mkvii » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Finally got the car to the track for the first time this season. I've driven it around town a little, but the brand new motor from last fall has been out twice this summer for "minor" repairs to my "former" engine builder's work. From now on I'm doing everything but boring the block myself. Geez. I only had the new motor to the track once last fall and got an 11.15 out of it, but I had outrun the ProCharger at 12# of boost. I was hoping for 14. I sent it out for an upgrade and believe I'm actually seeing about 16+#. The @*$# datalogger didn't record the only full run correctly. I made a first gear run and then a second gear run to check everything and then let 'er rip. I knew I had a 10 second run going because I never felt the car pull like that. It pulled through the gears in a hurry and was heading past redline at the quarter, but I wasn't about to lift. Another racer who was by the starting line said he didn't think the front tires fully settled back to the ground until I was 20' out. I'm hoping the track photographer got a good shot of that. If he did I'll post it. In the meantime maybe someone here can pop a picture of my car back up. I always forget how :x . The data did show that I've outrun my fuel injectors (60's) again and it looks like we're going to upgrade the valve springs (rated at 6500). It never ends 8-) And yes the car still runs around on the street - granted at 5 mpg and $8/gal. fuel and is still 4200# with me in it and power, leather everything still functional.
1988 Bill Blass. 363 Dart based stroker. 10.59@125 so far. More to come.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Re: 10.75 @ 125. I even surprised myself.

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm

"Stillverrrybaaddasss"

Congratulations on the time!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 am

...and they say the Mark is to heavy to get those numbers.

Congrats on the time = looking forward to some pics.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 am

White Lincoln wrote:...and they say the Mark is to heavy to get those numbers.

Congrats on the time = looking forward to some pics.

I keep telling my friend (who I got the car from) that I'm going to lighten the car up. I mean the front seats have to be 200# heavier than racing buckets. That's .2 seconds. He keeps talking me into leaving it as is because it is so different. He keeps saying if you want to go faster just make more horsepower. Good thing it's not his money :lol:. So 4 different motor combinations and 3 different superchargers later I have managed to make a fat car fly.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm

pkv88mkvii wrote: I mean the front seats have to be 200# heavier than racing buckets.

Trust me, the seats weigh more than that... :lol:

Takes two people to carry the friken things. They have to weigh easily over 50lbs and are just weird to try and carry by yourself. Not good on the ol' back if you know what I mean.
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 pm

pkv88mkvii wrote:Finally got the car to the track for the first time this season. I've driven it around town a little, but the brand new motor from last fall has been out twice this summer for "minor" repairs to my "former" engine builder's work. From now on I'm doing everything but boring the block myself. Geez. I only had the new motor to the track once last fall and got an 11.15 out of it, but I had outrun the ProCharger at 12# of boost. I was hoping for 14. I sent it out for an upgrade and believe I'm actually seeing about 16+#. The @*$# datalogger didn't record the only full run correctly. I made a first gear run and then a second gear run to check everything and then let 'er rip. I knew I had a 10 second run going because I never felt the car pull like that. It pulled through the gears in a hurry and was heading past redline at the quarter, but I wasn't about to lift. Another racer who was by the starting line said he didn't think the front tires fully settled back to the ground until I was 20' out. I'm hoping the track photographer got a good shot of that. If he did I'll post it. In the meantime maybe someone here can pop a picture of my car back up. I always forget how :x . The data did show that I've outrun my fuel injectors (60's) again and it looks like we're going to upgrade the valve springs (rated at 6500). It never ends 8-) And yes the car still runs around on the street - granted at 5 mpg and $8/gal. fuel and is still 4200# with me in it and power, leather everything still functional.

Excellent, I liiiike it. As the baby dinosaur says, "again, again!"

What heads do you have on that 363, and what intake, cam?

I built my 347 for this Mark VII, with 9.65:1 intended for mild boost(maybe 9psi). The stock block isn't wise to run much over 500hp. I figured that is too much anyway for the suspension these have, for the street. I like a 363 for my next engine, for the SUV, low compression for boost if I can fit one in it.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby White Lincoln » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm

CDW6212R wrote:I like a 363 for my next engine, for the SUV, low compression for boost if I can fit one in it.

Geez, and all I want to do is get mine painted! You guys are spending some rediculous bucks on these mods... :mrgreen:
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby pkv88mkvii » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Excellent, I liiiike it. As the baby dinosaur says, "again, again!"

What heads do you have on that 363, and what intake, cam?

I built my 347 for this Mark VII, with 9.65:1 intended for mild boost(maybe 9psi). The stock block isn't wise to run much over 500hp. I figured that is too much anyway for the suspension these have, for the street. I like a 363 for my next engine, for the SUV, low compression for boost if I can fit one in it.

I'm still running the TrickFlow heads and intake from my first 347. They're really not enough for what I'm doing now, but more boost crutches a lot. The heads are only 170's I think, but I figured they were expensive and I own 'em. I should have changed heads when I built the 363 because it cost $800 for the custom Diamond Racing pistons to go with their unique layout. I'm kinda married to them now unless AFR says they have a head that will work with my pistons. If I'm stuck with them I'm going to have them ported. Knowing what I know now I would have started with AFR's. The TwistedWedge heads do some questionable things to pushrods and guides because of the way they "twist" the valves in the chambers. The cam was custom ground by Comp for this motor. Just a hair under .600 lift. I lowered the compression on this motor to 9.1 from 9.6 on the 347 because I knew I was goin to whack it with a good bunch of boost. I know all about the stock block. Mines a planter now. You can wiggle all the main webs and that was with the studs, girdle, etc. Don't doubt that suspension. I'm on the airbags still although I have control over them independently. The front suspension is untouched. The rear has my own boxed control arms with poly bushings and some modified Mustang traction bars. The cage and my own design frame ties (way heavier than those little ones you can buy) are key. The car used to break windshields. The 4200# tank had a 1.53 60' time and never squeaked a tire while pulling the fronts. I'm still on a M/T drag radial. I was kinda shocked myself.
pkv88mkvii
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Excellent, I would love to get a decent 60' time with these cars, on street tires. Stock is about 2.8 seconds. I know, there are compromises needed for some things. I wrecked my first LSC with just the low end Edelbrock heads/intake, and a TransGo shift kit, on a road that I didn't know had been rained on. Lesson learned, hard shifting on a road with curves and ditches is not smart.

I'd stick with TFS heads, they have better potential for a given port flow etc. Any non stock engine has to have extra care given to the valvetrain, and most people don't know it or don't do it. You know that each head type takes different pistons, plus different cams etc. I had my 347 built complete so I would have a greater chance that the valvetrain is done right. I just need to get it off of the engine stand and use it. :oops:

For a better engine, like a 363 I'd like to do for my SUV that requires close to stock port locations, the TFS TW 205 heads are about the best choice. There are variations of course, but the pistons required and chamber volumes should be close, some ports being raised etc. For a racing engine in a street car I'd use aftermarket Cleveland heads on a Dart 302 or 351 block, depending on boost and power needs. I love Cleveland heads, and the valve covers are cool too. They still have better potential(aftermarket) than any Windsor head. But those even take more unique pistons, camshaft etc.

I have a loose rear suspension, it's fine to drive but I don't push it hard. I need to install the torque arm and Grigg's subframe connectors in the car, torque box reinforcements etc. But the panhard bar is first, I need to fabricate the body mount to be able to mount one. Then the other parts can be used, and the OEM upper control arms can be thrown away.

If you have TFS TW 170 heads, I'd sell them and replace them with TFS 205's, there should be one that fits your engine and only the cam would need redesigning(plus valvetrain set up again for them). That would gain you more than what the 170 heads can do, for a 363 sized engine. I'd ask Ed Curtis or one of the other big name custom cam designers about which TFS head would work best, for your car, headers, boost level etc. It looks like you have a car set up well for that power level, the cage and suspension etc. More power might be say, more tractable, street friendly etc(less rpm and/or smoother idle, more torque etc). It's easier to de-tune an engine or tame it a bit, versus pushing a lesser engine to max out it's potential.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Racing