New heads or not new heads??

Discussion of NON STOCK, NON OEM swaps, upgrades, lowering, modifications, modifying, customizing, anything Lincoln Mark VII.

New heads or not new heads??

Postby giant777squid » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Hey guys! I've been quiet on here for a while. I've just been enjoying my Mark VII without much tinkering lately.

A few weeks ago my car started overheating and after a quick look around it was obvious that I blew a head gasket :( I don't have a decent spot to do my own work and have never done a head gasket so I brought it to the local mechanic for a look. Estimate was $2000. The heads had to come off to test for leaks as well. So I got thinking.... hmmm. Maybe it's time to upgrade the heads anyways. Trying to figure out what I'm going to need to pull this off. I have an 86 LSC so I'm going to have to go with the more expensive Trick Flow heads due to piston clearance issues. I already have a 70mm throttle body and explorer intakes on it so it'll have plenty of air coming in. Besides that I have flowmaster 40s and that's it. I figure she's going to need new headers and potentially some wider exhaust put in. Potentially a dynotune as well.

Any thoughts on this guys? New injectors? exhaust set up? Trying not to break the bank too much on this one ;)
86 LSC. GT40 intakes, 70mm throttle body. 33,000 miles and counting.
Image
User avatar
giant777squid
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby giant777squid » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Wow not as much activity on here since last time I checked in!

Was looking at getting a Trick Flow top end kit but was told to stick with stock cam for the flat top pistons but using 1.72 ratio roller arms. Looking at the Intakes they really look almost identical to the Explorer ones I'm already using. Wondering I those will make that much of a difference. Trying to get all the parts together for a smooth install.

Even if I'm just talking aloud I figure this might be of some use to someone with an 86 in the future.
86 LSC. GT40 intakes, 70mm throttle body. 33,000 miles and counting.
Image
User avatar
giant777squid
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:21 pm

I'd search on the Corral forum for advice on your 1986 HO engine. It has unique pistons and there should be good experience with them on the Mustang forums. It's been so many years that I read any serious talk about the 86 engine, I can't remember anything important from then.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby YVRHotRodLincoln » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:03 am

..I'd love to know too as I have an '86 and am planning a full rebuild/upgrade to 87-93 specs with alum. heads, smog pump/air tubes etc. delete and aircon compressor delete to take some weight out of this baby. Look up New Kid on the Block (Skip White out of Kingsport TN) thru eBay. They make some pretty decent alum. heads at a pretty decent price..
User avatar
YVRHotRodLincoln
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 am

I would research it well, but what I recall is that if you check PTV clearances, you can end up with a solid higher compression. The TFS heads are great if you can find them for a decent price($750 or not much more in usable shape(not tore up)).

I'm aiming for 10:1 compression for my soon to build 306 for my 99 Explorer. But I'm including a PCM tune with that, you have to reprogram the computer with any notable change of compression.

So if you keep the 86 pistons and raise the compression, you have to include the cost to find a tuner to build your car a new tune/chip etc.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby Lincoln5oh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:41 am

I too have an 86 and have done a good amount of research. If you stay with the bigger chambers you'll have no worries on PTV clearance. Still chech obviously but I wouldn't worry about it being a waste. And if your going to go that route I'd pull the plug on the new 11r heads which have even more room. One person had the 190cc variant on a stock 86 block and a big OTS cam and made 364ish hp to the wheels with tones of clearance. Good luck!
User avatar
Lincoln5oh
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby mikeceli » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:06 pm

YVRHotRodLincoln wrote:..I'd love to know too as I have an '86 and am planning a full rebuild/upgrade to 87-93 specs with alum. heads, smog pump/air tubes etc. delete and aircon compressor delete to take some weight out of this baby. Look up New Kid on the Block (Skip White out of Kingsport TN) thru eBay. They make some pretty decent alum. heads at a pretty decent price..



Keep the AC. VII is heavy, why degrade the car to save 40 lbs?
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
User avatar
mikeceli
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 am
Location: N California

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby Dallas90LSC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

A couple of things...
-The 86 has pistons with no valve reliefs. It is possible to use an inline valve arrangement (stock, AFR, etc) without ptv issues as long as you don't change the camshaft or go to 1.7 rockers. You might get away with the 1.7s, but you would HAVE to check the clearance.
I believe the TF heads are a solid nogo on stock 86 pistons.
Like mentioned before, do a search on the Corral. It has been been discussed in depth over there.
User avatar
Dallas90LSC
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Dallas90LSC wrote:A couple of things...
-The 86 has pistons with no valve reliefs. It is possible to use an inline valve arrangement (stock, AFR, etc) without ptv issues as long as you don't change the camshaft or go to 1.7 rockers. You might get away with the 1.7s, but you would HAVE to check the clearance.
I believe the TF heads are a solid nogo on stock 86 pistons.
Like mentioned before, do a search on the Corral. It has been been discussed in depth over there.


Well said, that's why I suggested hunting on the Corral. I couldn't recall if the pistons could work with the TFS heads.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
User avatar
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Near Dollywood in TN

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby 2manymarks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am

giant777squid wrote:Wow not as much activity on here since last time I checked in!

Was looking at getting a Trick Flow top end kit but was told to stick with stock cam for the flat top pistons but using 1.72 ratio roller arms. Looking at the Intakes they really look almost identical to the Explorer ones I'm already using. Wondering I those will make that much of a difference. Trying to get all the parts together for a smooth install.

Even if I'm just talking aloud I figure this might be of some use to someone with an 86 in the future.


I have a pair of GT40P heads with headers for sale if you are interested in a less expensive setup. 8-)
As of July2017,[code][/code] 11Mark[*] VII's, 3licensed for the road:
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock99k.
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs airsuspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 LSCMedium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB(8T)stock125k(wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L)stock(miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L)107k(2.73rear)
1984 TurboDiesel Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby Boston/SDMARKVII » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:55 am

2manymarks wrote:
giant777squid wrote:Wow not as much activity on here since last time I checked in!

Was looking at getting a Trick Flow top end kit but was told to stick with stock cam for the flat top pistons but using 1.72 ratio roller arms. Looking at the Intakes they really look almost identical to the Explorer ones I'm already using. Wondering I those will make that much of a difference. Trying to get all the parts together for a smooth install.

Even if I'm just talking aloud I figure this might be of some use to someone with an 86 in the future.


I have a pair of GT40P heads with headers for sale if you are interested in a less expensive setup. 8-)


Hey new to the club do you still have the heads?
User avatar
Boston/SDMARKVII
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby 2manymarks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Boston/SDMARKVII wrote:
2manymarks wrote:
giant777squid wrote:Wow not as much activity on here since last time I checked in!

Was looking at getting a Trick Flow top end kit but was told to stick with stock cam for the flat top pistons but using 1.72 ratio roller arms. Looking at the Intakes they really look almost identical to the Explorer ones I'm already using. Wondering I those will make that much of a difference. Trying to get all the parts together for a smooth install.

Even if I'm just talking aloud I figure this might be of some use to someone with an 86 in the future.


I have a pair of GT40P heads with headers for sale if you are interested in a less expensive setup. 8-)


Hey new to the club do you still have the heads?


Yes, I still have them and the headers. You may email me at <ncturtleman@yahoo.com> 8-)
As of July2017,[code][/code] 11Mark[*] VII's, 3licensed for the road:
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock99k.
1989 LSCMidnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs airsuspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) BillBlass-stock. miles unk
1989 LSCMedium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB(8T)stock125k(wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L)stock(miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L)107k(2.73rear)
1984 TurboDiesel Base model,Platinum(1Q),131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88LSC,89BB, 90LSC-TLZ5spd(complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
User avatar
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Coastal NC-the Right Coast

Re: New heads or not new heads??

Postby Lincoln5oh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 pm

The Trickflow heads are for sure the only guarantee for an 86. The valves don't line up with the factory valve reliefs anyways. This means he wouldn't have any more clearance issues with trick flow heads on an 86 then you would on 87 - 93. With camshafts you're pretty open to anything that would be mild enough for a 4,000 lb Mark 7. Just remember you'll have to swap to mass air or tunable speed density like megasquirt. I'd look into the 11R cylinder heads as the 11-degree intake valve provides even more Clarence than the conventional Twisted wedge. I would stay speed density and look at a can like the comp xe258-14 or xe264-14. No need for a custom tune with a setup like that only an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I wish I could post a picture of somebody use the XE264 with GT40 heads and picked up at 35 ft lb all over the powerband and 25-35hp with an idol identical to stock. I've also had an 86 for five years have been reading on this for dresses long.
User avatar
Lincoln5oh
REGISTERED USER
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm


Return to Modifying

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests