Rear control arms

Discussion of NON STOCK, NON OEM swaps, upgrades, lowering, modifications, modifying, customizing, anything Lincoln Mark VII.

Rear control arms

Postby tis245 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

I have an 89 lsc the guy I got it from had already taken the air suspension off. When he did it he just cut all the air lines and removed the compressor and any other parts. So I can't go back to air ride without considerable cost and work. My question is are there rear control arms that are compatable that we can still get bushings for? Like off of a Thunderbird or Mustang. I have seen a couple of aftermarket ones like CHE and Massive speed but I am worried about the driveability since this is a stock daily driver. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks from Dayton Ohio
Chris Gaston
tis245

Re: Rear control arms

Postby tis245 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:02 pm

By the way I need the bushings changed because they are all past their prime. I changed all the front rubber parts. That helped alot in the front but I'm still having alot of movement in the rear on acceleration. Also the rear sits a lot lower than the front. When iI was replacing the front control arm parts I found that he had installed the springs upside down. I dont know what to expect when i get to the rear.
Thanks from Dayton Ohio
Chris Gaston
tis245

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 pm

tis245 wrote:By the way I need the bushings changed because they are all past their prime. I changed all the front rubber parts. That helped alot in the front but I'm still having alot of movement in the rear on acceleration. Also the rear sits a lot lower than the front. When iI was replacing the front control arm parts I found that he had installed the springs upside down. I dont know what to expect when i get to the rear.

Search function will get you part numbers. Stock control arm rubber bushings are still available, but are getting harder to find and sometimes expensive. Often mustang parts interchange.

Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings Set(Rubber)
Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings Set (Rubber)
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby tis245 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:14 pm

is there a difference between the early models to the late 80's? When I look at the parts they say for 86 and older for the bottom control arm. Can the control arm be switched to a Thunderbird one so I can use the springs and whatnot or am i just better going with the aftermarket arms? it seems like no one has the ones for 1989 i don't get it. has any one used any of the aftermarket control arms? I would like to know how well they work.
Thanks from Dayton Ohio
Chris Gaston
tis245

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Chris, the Mustang bushings should all be a match to ours, basically our LCA's are just longer, same length as the Thunderbird. The aftermarket arms are much better, but not cheap either. The spring perch at the top/body is the odd thing. I don't know if normal coil springs from a T'Bird will work, I'd like to know that myself.

I have a pair of MM LCA's, custom ordered for a T'Bird. I was planning to use coil over shocks, so the top mount wasn't a concern when I bought those. For short term though I'd like to use a spring with these arms, when I do away with my air system.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby HotRodLSCSE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 pm

I have the CHE upper and lower arms. Ride is great but no provisions for the ride height sensor. Fab time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HotRodLSCSE
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Modifying