Electric exhaust cutouts

Discussion of NON STOCK, NON OEM swaps, upgrades, lowering, modifications, modifying, customizing, anything Lincoln Mark VII.

Electric exhaust cutouts

Postby Brad4d » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 pm

I've been toying with the idea of installing cutouts on my LSC. Kind of a "show-offy" thing to do, but I'd just use it at the local hangout. I think it'd be pretty neat to roll in, make a bunch of noise, & close them. I thought I'd run it past you here & see what others have to say. Also, I'm not sure of the size of pipe a factory car would have. I'd measure before ordering, but it'd help to know. Really, I'm not sure about it, but compared to the last time I was looking at them, the price has really come down a lot. Also, even though I wouldn't run like that on the street, would it mess with the motor. The last time I was doing anything with exhaust, it was on a car with a carb. LOL What should I be considering. Any comment is helping, even if it is "Grow up, it's a Lincoln'! :lol:
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Re: Electric exhaust cutouts

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Welcome Brad. The exhaust piping is 2.25" from the collectors to the mufflers. Behind the mufflers the pipes are tiny and different left/right.

I wouldn't do it, the open exhaust isn't very sexy really, not like old cars with real long tube headers. I'd concentrate on doing the actual tail pipes, and mufflers. Make those larger, say 2.5" if you can find a shop that can do it without hanging them down too low. There was a place in NY that had great fitting 2.25" pipes, but they were high if one was interested in that.

Any aftermarket mufflers will be much louder than stock, so if that's what you are after, that can be done for $100 or not much more. It depends on your choice of muffler, and the shop labor costs.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for the input Don. I've thought about a little more sound, but it has a fairly nice tone now. The cutouts were just something to scare imports...lol. I'm sure it would sound more like a car that had the exhaust fall off, than something with headers, & a nice free exhaust. Mufflers & tailpipes may be a better way to spend the cash. I don't know who I'm tryin' to fool, but it's something I've wanted to try. Mid life crisis maybe... :roll: I wouldn't want it too loud,all the time. Without any real changes other than mufflers, it probably wouldn't howl unless I put my foot deep into it. Glad I asked. I was hoping for "Hell yeah man, go for it" Ha!! I've read your posts here, you'd seem to know.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Sounds smart. My current car had a bad/sad exhaust when I got it, and I lived with the growing holes for a while. About 7-8 years ago, I ran to a local shop, and paid for a cheap muffler/tailpipe replace job. It's quieter now, but louder than stock since I had them dump it just behind the mufflers. They wanted another $75 to make two tail pipes. I thought that was too high for crush bent 2.5" pipes. I have plans for better stuff later, so I didn't want to spend too much then.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 am

It's always a balance. It'll get real expensive, real fast if you just say yes to every part you want. I'm trying to keep it cool, with anything too tacky. I just like the idea of a wolf in sheep's clothing. Seeing a nice Mark, but then it sounds like a race car, is kinda' like pretending it's a built sleeper. Wouldn't fool anyone who knows what power actually sounds like, though. Just keep them guessing a little. Not too expensive, so if it doesn't hurt anything, it might be kind of fun...lol. The exhaust is fine now, so I don't think I'd change what isn't broken. When its time for mufflers, I'll be looking for something a little more performance oriented. Probably won't help add much power until more air is getting into the engine first, but that's a slippery slope. Intake, but then it should have heads to get the most of that, then you need a MAF, and on it goes...lol.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Brad,
Club Member Paul Clarke (markvii91) has a unique set-up. Though he rarely posts here, you can catch up to him on the Club's FACEBOOK GROUP at,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLincolnMarkVIIClub

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Wow! Unique indeed! I love wires, never thought about it for this car though. Looks like a lot going on under the hood...velocity stacks??? Cool. LOL I'll have to try & contact him through our FB page. Thanks John. This thread has been read, but only one other commenter posted. Hopefully it isn't a case of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". Maybe the cutouts aren't a good idea. :shock: My inner teenager really wants them....
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 am

Don't sweat it.
The Club's Web Site and Forum are primarily used by COMPUTER users.
Computer users are, for the most part, a lot more understanding of others' tastes.
This thread could go YEARS without another post yet receive hundreds of views by people that know if they don't have anything to contribute then they just don't post.

The internet was the best and worst thing to happen to unique car Club's like ours;
Pros - It attracted people that would normally not contact us.
Cons - It attracted people that would normally not contact us.

The Club's FaceBook Group takes FOUR volunteers on almost a daily basis to administrate. At least once a week, the Admins have to remind users (over 50% of which are NOT actual Club Members) of our
NO POLITICS
NO RELIGION
NO VULGARITY
guidelines. Yet we still receive the racist that wants to commercially sell replacement upgrades while NOT becoming a sponsor of the Club, or the President hater that wants to curse at the Club Member who's been modifying Lincoln Mark VIIs since the Bush administration.

We're fair and normally give people warnings and reminders. MOST people understand and keep it moving.
We're a Car Club dedicated to the Restoration, Preservation, and Maintenance of all things Lincoln Mark VII.
Just playing with cars since 2004 :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I love the pros/cons statement, about the internet!! I'm glad your guidelines are there. I try not to be profane, but the other two, people can't seem to converse about without getting stupid. Every time I shut off Facebook, its because of a racist jerk, or crazy political memes. Nice to have a place without that.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 am

Welcome home.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Modifying