Orifice tube

Discussion of STOCK air conditioning, consoles, defoggers, defrosters, door trims, heating, HVAC, safety air bags, seats, windows and systems.

Orifice tube

Postby robertbweltzien » Tue May 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Anyone ever replace the orifice tube on the a/c? Mines an 1989 LSC with 190K. Is it better to replace the whole line or just splice in a new tube? I haven't done this before so I'm open to suggestions. The system is fully charged and works great when moving but doesn't cool as well at idle during these hot Georgia summers. The low pressure return lines have foam and fiberglass insulation all the way up to the compressor and receiver/dryer and that helps. I even wrapped aluminum foil around the line next to the passenger header. Also the CC head could use some refurbishing by Mr. Curry. Another question is whether the air is recirculated when set to 60F, in both auto or manual mode. I know I'm getting fresh air when it's set to 65 F.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Orifice tube

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 am

I remember having it done on my '85 Crown Vic police car in 1996. It was in the evaporator case and I had old Bill Aquila of Aquila Motors in New Haven do it. He said it was a bitch. He charged me $250 for that as well as flushing and refilling the system with fresh mineral oil and R-12. It worked great until the compressor seized up two years later!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby jud149 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 am

robertbweltzien wrote:Anyone ever replace the orifice tube on the a/c? Mines an 1989 LSC with 190K. Is it better to replace the whole line or just splice in a new tube? I haven't done this before so I'm open to suggestions. The system is fully charged and works great when moving but doesn't cool as well at idle during these hot Georgia summers. The low pressure return lines have foam and fiberglass insulation all the way up to the compressor and receiver/dryer and that helps. I even wrapped aluminum foil around the line next to the passenger header. Also the CC head could use some refurbishing by Mr. Curry. Another question is whether the air is recirculated when set to 60F, in both auto or manual mode. I know I'm getting fresh air when it's set to 65 F.

Bob

Are you running R-12 and what does not cooling well mean? When it's hot in S. FL, my '91 LSC will blow 40 degrees when moving but can move up to 60 in summer stopped traffic. This may be normal. However, my system is a few ounces light of R-12. I believe it calls for 40 or so and I put in 36 ounces as I didn't want to add 4 ounces from a new can and waste the rest. Put gauges on it and that should tell you if you have a problem. Be sure your condenser is clear of any debris and put a thermometer in the vent. As far as replacing the tube, I'd replace the entire line. I changed mine a few years ago when I installed a new heater core and evaporator, fun job as mentioned, and it was corroded and appeared close to splitting open. The line is very inexpensive.
Last edited by jud149 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91 LSC, '11 Lexus LS 460
jud149

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 pm

The orifice is in the short line along the right side. I replaced my whole system many years ago, when the compressor died and my AC guy suggested it. That line was the cheapest component.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Interiors