Switch to full style
Discussion of STOCK air conditioning, consoles, defoggers, defrosters, door trims, heating, HVAC, safety air bags, seats, windows and systems.
Post a reply

My wipers go contently

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I have a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII. My wipers go contently. I've replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch. Are there some kinda wiper relay or module in the wiper system?

Re: My wipers go contently

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am

do you mean they go "intermittently?" If you wiggle around the multifunction switch, will it sometimes get them to turn on? I know you said you've replaced it - was it with a spare used one? If so, it's probably a worn out multifunction switch. After 20+ years, those get worn out and this is common.

It's happened on every Mark I've owned.

Re: My wipers go contently

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 am

90 MarkVII BB, The pre 1990 wiper switch is actually a separate switch from the turn signal and was quite robust.
Yes. Our 1990 - 1992 Multifunction switches were NOT robust. Even the new aftermarket versions don't stand up to us old guys driving in the city and using it 32 times a day between home and work.
The issue above sounds more like what you said but for another, non nefarious reason.
I have yet to need to replace a pre-1990 windshield switch.

Re: My wipers go contently

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

oldschool1 wrote:90 MarkVII BB, The pre 1990 wiper switch is actually a separate switch from the turn signal and was quite robust.
Yes. Our 1990 - 1992 Multifunction switches were NOT robust. Even the new aftermarket versions don't stand up to us old guys driving in the city and using it 32 times a day between home and work.
The issue above sounds more like what you said but for another, non nefarious reason.
I have yet to need to replace a pre-1990 windshield switch.


Thank you for the correction. I've not owned a pre-90 in some time, and forgot!

Re: My wipers go contently

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob

Re: My wipers go contently

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm

There is also the wiper delay (pulse) module. If it has failed internally, it could also cause the symptoms described. Like Oldschool said, I'd check the switch first, then go from there..... 8-)

Re: My wipers go contently

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 am

robertbweltzien wrote:The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob

+1

Re: My wipers go contently

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

oldschool1 wrote:
robertbweltzien wrote:The wiper assemblies can also be adjusted to "park" properly. I had to adjust mine because they wouldn't go down all the way. Sometimes the switch is OK and the malfunction lies within the wiper motor adjustment. Just a thought...

Bob

+1


How do we do that? Mine sometimes dont park properly either. They'll wipe, go back to on position, then back up slightly, and stay there.
Post a reply