trunk carpet and backing form

clutter!, stain removal, cleaning, detailing

trunk carpet and backing form

Postby MashmyMotor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:11 pm

As I am waiting for my caliper rebuild kit, I decided to do some other tinkering with the car.

Having trouble with my security system, I am looking at the connections to the alarm module,which is located in the trunk near the passenger side speaker. To access the module the trunk rear carpet/backing form has to be removed.

Mine is in kind of sad shape..the carpet has pulled away from the form. So I removed the whole thing to look at the alarm module.
Now I want to repair the form while it is out. Its kind of like a headliner type of thing,except being carpet and not headliner material.
So I am wondering..the back of the carpet has "sticky" stuff,to keep it stuck to the form I guess.
I am wondering,can I use "headliner glue" to spray the back of the carpet and "restick" it to the form?

Has anyone done a repair to their form,and if so...how??

TIA....

Jim
MashmyMotor

Re: trunk carpet and backing form

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 pm

MashmyMotor wrote:As I am waiting for my caliper rebuild kit, I decided to do some other tinkering with the car.

Having trouble with my security system, I am looking at the connections to the alarm module,which is located in the trunk near the passenger side speaker. To access the module the trunk rear carpet/backing form has to be removed.

Mine is in kind of sad shape..the carpet has pulled away from the form. So I removed the whole thing to look at the alarm module.
Now I want to repair the form while it is out. Its kind of like a headliner type of thing,except being carpet and not headliner material.
So I am wondering..the back of the carpet has "sticky" stuff,to keep it stuck to the form I guess.
I am wondering,can I use "headliner glue" to spray the back of the carpet and "restick" it to the form?

Has anyone done a repair to their form,and if so...how??

TIA....

Jim

Mine did the same thing as yours and I used 3M yellow super trim adhesive #08090 which has a little more holding power than the headliner spray. I removed the cardboard backing and laid it out flat along with the carpet, removing the carpet that was till holding to the cardboard. I wiped the cardboard with a damp cloth to remove any dried glue dust. I then sprayed a nice even heavy coat to both the cardboard form and the back of the carpet itself. I then allowed it to dry till tacky and then lined everything back up and pressed them together. For further gluing I used a J roller (like used for vinyl flooring) to roll it out. It worked out real well, it hasn't come unstuck yet :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby MashmyMotor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Bruce..

Thanks bunches for the info :P
The form is kind of mutilated also..has bends and creases where it shouldn't.
I have it laid out on the garage floor with half-full paint cans placed in strategic places in hopes that some of the roughness will straighten out lol.

Jim
MashmyMotor

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 am

I concur. 3M yellow Super Weatherstripping adhesive works well. I moistened the backing with water spray and then pressed it between my toolboxes and the garage floor. After it dried I used the 3M to glue the carpet to it. It has held beautifully for over 2 years now.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Mark 7 Hamilton » Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 am

My fabric was all coming loose and it had stains.
I pulled all of the fabric off of the backers and shampoo soaked & pressure washed the fabric and the floor carpeting.
I allowed the carpet to dry for 3 days due to the padding being so absorbent.
I reglued the fabric back on using General Trim Adhesive.
It all looks like new now.
Mark 7 Hamilton

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Good write up and great resource.
Thank you!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Trunk