Rubber coated side moldings

preparation, wax removal, washing, sealing, waxing, detailing

Rubber coated side moldings

Postby Yves » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I want to repaint my 1988 Bill Blass. How to restore the rubber coated side moldings (3 pieces on each side)? The sun bleached them out and there kind of bubbles. Is there a way to replace the rubber coating or does anyone know a company which remanufactures them?
Yves

Re: Rubber coated side moldings

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Good question.

I too would like to do this.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Davemutt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm

If you could get all of the rubber off, you could probably wrap them in vinyl. There's quite a few colors available. It wouldn't be correct, but I think it would look good.
Davemutt

Postby Brad4d » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Oxidized rubber trim drives me nuts. There are some who say plasti dip, but that doesn't hold up on rubber. it peels off nice from paint & plastic, I guess thats why. You can get bedliner that doesn't have as much suspended particles, or Kent Automotive Euro Black. I'll be trying the last one, when I bring my 'new to me' LSC out for spring. Other things are planned for now.https://www.kent-automotive.com/Kent/Sa ... KT13423.ka
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 am

Have you used this product before?

If so, in what application?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Brad4d » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm

I haven't actually used it myself, but have seen it used. Plastic mirrors(which we don't worry about), and the black around bumpers & fender flares. It smartens it right up. I can't say how well it will work on the moulding's of our cars specifically. I will update with pictures in the spring, but that's not much help now. I'd be real interested to hear from anyone else in the club who has.
Bradford (Brad) Bailey
1992 LSC Black on black. all stock
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada (No, I don't fish, or play hockey :lol: )
"I'm old enough to know I'm grumpy, just not old enough to know I'm old" (48 yrs.)
Brad4d

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

There are paintable vinyl type products that might work well.

ALSA is a brand I get emails from a lot, I've bought some candy concentrate and clear from them. They tout their many coverage products for almost any surface, including a dash for instance. The stuff they sell for spraying of brushing on, they say self levels and people like it. It's high dollar, everything they sell, but they run sales constantly, on various products. Most of what I have from them was 50% or more off from their normal prices. The emails advertise them, for sales that last from one day to three, to a week at most. I have some vinyl paint from them which was about $80 for a gallon, a grey metallic I meant to put on some wheels. It was about $200 or so normally. FYI, their shipping is not cheap, they use hazardous materials labeling etc, proper formal methods I'd say.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 am

Thanks Guys.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Exterior