First Gen Explorer

General open questions about any and all vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, boats, planes, trains

First Gen Explorer

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 pm

My now daily driver is a 1993 fully optioned Explorer Sport.(Replaced my Ranger) Took a while to find this one, has most every option except 4WD. I wanted an auto trans, hard to find, as most "sports" were fitted with a stick. I wanted a non 4WD (I didn't need it) most are however 4WD.... These are a simple TRUCK with body on a frame construction, unlike the techy car/cross over/things they call Explorers today ;)

Last edited by WHITEOXLSC on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Re: First Gen Explorer

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Very nice, those are rare to find in any good shape. I still have a few items from my old 93 green Limited, like the grille.

If you ever need a mirror, get the 95-01 units(OEM), they bolt right on and the black doesn't fade as badly.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:30 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Very nice, those are rare to find in any good shape. I still have a few items from my old 93 green Limited, like the grille.

If you ever need a mirror, get the 95-01 units(OEM), they bolt right on and the black doesn't fade as badly.

Hmmmm I didn't know second gen mirrors would fit. :roll: Yeah I like my little sport, it's a great little truck and it is pretty much loaded for the day including moon roof, JBL CD and trac loc diff in the rear..... One day I was at the Pick n Pull and there was a Mountaineer there, V8 two wheel drive, beautiful condition except where someone backed into something and mangled the lift gate. That's all it needed, but someone decided to junk it. I thought about pulling the engine and trans to put in my sport and make it a sleeper. But then my Ranger died, so the Explorer became my daily driver and it put a kibosh on that idea :cry: Oh well, I own a Mark VII now, and that has become my fun ride :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:24 pm

You have a good source of parts there. Those V8 Explorer parts will be precious to engine swaps ongoing, the wiring and computers even. The few cars worth getting parts from here are picked at super fast, we have some people who daily check and visit those yards. I saw a 2000 red 4dr recently that had little interior left, and the hatch was gone. I'd like to find a solid one like that for the hatch, mine has a little rust in the bottom body seam.

BTW, if your truck has the OEM JBL CD player, I have two bad units from my old truck. They are not worth paying to repair compared to anything aftermarket, but maybe if someone like Paul Protos could work on them they could be usable. The display went out in my first one, and the cost of diagnosis, labor, and the parts ended up at $200 in 2001. I took a chance on one from eBay when that one died years later, but it didn't work either. An aftermarket radio is a much better choice if they die.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 pm

CDW6212R wrote:You have a good source of parts there. Those V8 Explorer parts will be precious to engine swaps ongoing, the wiring and computers even. The few cars worth getting parts from here are picked at super fast, we have some people who daily check and visit those yards. I saw a 2000 red 4dr recently that had little interior left, and the hatch was gone. I'd like to find a solid one like that for the hatch, mine has a little rust in the bottom body seam.

BTW, if your truck has the OEM JBL CD player, I have two bad units from my old truck. They are not worth paying to repair compared to anything aftermarket, but maybe if someone like Paul Protos could work on them they could be usable. The display went out in my first one, and the cost of diagnosis, labor, and the parts ended up at $200 in 2001. I took a chance on one from eBay when that one died years later, but it didn't work either. An aftermarket radio is a much better choice if they die.

Yes your right about the V8, someone got it right after I decided not to take it (snooze you lose). :cry: The single DIN cd players I pick up every time I find one, which is not very often. Most of them still work others don't, but that is the chance you take. Lucky we have Paul to keep them alive, as no one around here will even look at them anymore. C4C really killed off a lot of these great trucks, a lot of them still in great condition (don't get me started on that great government plan) Luckily we still have a lot in our local yards to choose from. I like the older stuff, my 93 is the newest thing I own.... I can still work on it. Most of todays cars are just throw away POS IMO. You buy them, drive them till something goes wrong, then you junk it and buy another. Think about it, in 20 years at a car show, is anybody going to really be restoring a 2000 something Prius? :lol:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby LadySerenaKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:08 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:Most of todays cars are just throw away POS IMO. You buy them, drive them till something goes wrong, then you junk it and buy another. Think about it, in 20 years at a car show, is anybody going to really be restoring a 2000 something Prius? :lol:

I've seen a 1998 Toyota Tercel fully restored. I've also seen Yugo restorations. There's an '88 Eagle car living in Hagerstown that's been restored (I've passed it on I-81 a few times). The youngest vehicle I've seen restored as if it were a classic? 2002 Ford Ranger Edge. Also, my mom has decided her 2004 GT Cruiser is going to be forever-maintained and restored (like Beastie). People will keep and restore anything.
LadySerenaKitty

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:51 pm

All true, people are weird!

Try finding a Saleen Explorer XP8. With only about 120 made over 4-5 years, and driven as a truck normally, they are going to be really hard to restore etc. Keep an eye for the body parts, that is mainly what made them unique. I'm sure slowly they are being lost in salvage yards. I've got the bumpers and a wing for my truck. The side skirts are the hardest to find, there are several pieces.

Here's two old pictures of a member's truck from an Explorer forum.

Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby LadySerenaKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:55 pm

That has a very unique appearance to it, Kitty like! With a sufficiently large 3D printer, the skirts would be easy to replicate.

I actually want to get a 3D printer and 3D scanner so I can scan and print all the plastic bits for our Mark VII's, and that will be my highest priority once I get the printer and scanner (which may be a while, they're really expensive). Still, I'd be happy to scan and print non-Mark VII parts.
LadySerenaKitty

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:01 pm

That sounds cool. Getting your hands on the parts is the first thing though, I've never seen them available(once when I bought my front bumper, but he wanted $3500 for the whole set of parts).
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby LadySerenaKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:11 pm

CDW6212R wrote:That sounds cool. Getting your hands on the parts is the first thing though, I've never seen them available(once when I bought my front bumper, but he wanted $3500 for the whole set of parts).

The beauty of 3D scanning is I won't have to have perfect parts. I could scan in a broken or warped part, and then fix it in something like Blender, then print it.
LadySerenaKitty

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Interesting, and what size limits would there be?
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby LadySerenaKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:01 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Interesting, and what size limits would there be?

Size limits depend purely on the printer. Some printers have a 10cm printing area, others can do 20cm. The largest I've seen is a 50cm printer. The printing area is always cuboidal, so the printing volume is 20cm X 20cm X 20cm. Some printers can be made taller (like the printrbot) so obviously the printing volume would lengthen vertically.

3D scanners tend to be open-air designs with standard HD cameras, and having anywhere from 1 camera to half a dozen. They use a single vertical laser line with a turntable (cylinder-type scanners) or they use a rolling laser grid (cuboidal scanners). Most 3D scanners I've seen have a freaking huge scan volume, typically around 50cm radius X 1 meter vertical. The largest one I've seen has a gigantic cuboidal scan volume of 6m X 18m X 6m (WxLxH), and is used by Lockheed Martin to scan in jet engines, wings, tails, seats, and other large-ish aircraft parts for their new cost-cutting plastic replication pre-fit and pre-production program.
LadySerenaKitty

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:51 pm

LadySerenaKitty wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:Most of todays cars are just throw away POS IMO. You buy them, drive them till something goes wrong, then you junk it and buy another. Think about it, in 20 years at a car show, is anybody going to really be restoring a 2000 something Prius? :lol:

I've seen a 1998 Toyota Tercel fully restored. I've also seen Yugo restorations. There's an '88 Eagle car living in Hagerstown that's been restored (I've passed it on I-81 a few times). The youngest vehicle I've seen restored as if it were a classic? 2002 Ford Ranger Edge. Also, my mom has decided her 2004 GT Cruiser is going to be forever-maintained and restored (like Beastie). People will keep and restore anything.

Well I guess your right.......but a Yugo :shock: . I guess today having one is one thing, but having one that still runs......hell they didn't even do that when they were new :lol: Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder to some. I would guess to some people think we are weird in keeping such an old car as our Mark VII's. Just as I think that buying a Smart car is the biggest waste of money you could spend. To each his/her own. It is kinda of cool to see a car that is not really considered a "classic car" survive.......but honestly, who would want to see a 25 year old Prius?........ Thought so. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby LadySerenaKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm

WHITEOXLSC wrote:Well I guess your right.......but a Yugo :shock: . I guess today having one is one thing, but having one that still runs......hell they didn't even do that when they were new :lol: Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder to some. I would guess to some people think we are weird in keeping such an old car as our Mark VII's. Just as I think that buying a Smart car is the biggest waste of money you could spend. To each his/her own. It is kinda of cool to see a car that is not really considered a "classic car" survive.......but honestly, who would want to see a 25 year old Prius?........ Thought so. 8-)

I saw the Top Gear (UK) episode where they took a couple Smarts and drove them head-on into K-rails at 60mph. The test dummies inside recorded near-fatal G-forces, the passenger did get a fatal G-shock. The car's damage? New front piece, new headlight lens, and new airbags were in order. They drove the damn thing from the scene. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of having a front and rear around the cabin is to absorb some of that collision energy so the occupants don't get those kinds of forces, as in the car absorbs the forces so you don't have to.
LadySerenaKitty

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

LadySerenaKitty wrote:
WHITEOXLSC wrote:Well I guess your right.......but a Yugo :shock: . I guess today having one is one thing, but having one that still runs......hell they didn't even do that when they were new :lol: Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder to some. I would guess to some people think we are weird in keeping such an old car as our Mark VII's. Just as I think that buying a Smart car is the biggest waste of money you could spend. To each his/her own. It is kinda of cool to see a car that is not really considered a "classic car" survive.......but honestly, who would want to see a 25 year old Prius?........ Thought so. 8-)

I saw the Top Gear (UK) episode where they took a couple Smarts and drove them head-on into K-rails at 60mph. The test dummies inside recorded near-fatal G-forces, the passenger did get a fatal G-shock. The car's damage? New front piece, new headlight lens, and new airbags were in order. They drove the damn thing from the scene. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of having a front and rear around the cabin is to absorb some of that collision energy so the occupants don't get those kinds of forces, as in the car absorbs the forces so you don't have to.

Yes, I believe that you are correct. I think they call them crumple zones, but in the case of the smart, there just isn't much there to "crumple" :o I suppose the smart has it's place, as a get around town little buggy, but out on the open freeway.....forget it. Your better off on a motorcycle, at least you have more power....
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Return to My Other Car