Meanwhile, in my parking lot...

General open questions about any and all vehicles, motorcycles, bikes, boats, planes, trains

Meanwhile, in my parking lot...

Postby Stargazer LSC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 pm

There's been a big cat prowling around:

I'll break the long goodbye into something less midwestern. Another Lincoln Mark VII wasn't in the cards for me this time. There was a whopping one in the state, and I wouldn't have time to get one from out of state.

You forum and club members have always been good to each other. My friends with the more "popular" cars always end up trying to one-up their peers in an antagonistic atmosphere, and this environment just felt more constructive and cooperative than anything. It felt like friends and family.

I wanted something in the same class as the Mark VII - something sophisticated and somewhat sporting - and stumbled upon a Jaguar XJS in decent condition. It's going to be an uphill battle dealing with normal old car stuff, and playing "what's that noise?" for the first thousand miles, but It's nothing I haven't done before.

Thanks for the help throughout the years. Keep being awesome to one another, and these machines. There will always be a place in my heart for the Mark VII, but for the foreseeable future, I find myself without one.

(Also, if this pattern continues, I'll probably be looking for another Mark VII by mid 2016.)
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma" (R.I.P.)
Stargazer LSC

Re: Meanwhile, in my parking lot...

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Keep an eye out for a Mark VII, they pop up when you aren't expecting them to.

I have a friend who bought one of those Jaguars a few years back. It had an engine fire so he hasn't quite finished fixing that yet. But it is a convertible model in very nice shape, other than the engine issue. Keep a close eye on the wiring and fuel connections on those V12's. At this age it's all very old and brittle.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Davemutt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:53 am

Congrats on the new ride!
Davemutt

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 am

Congrats. Xjs has always been one of my favorite cars. Some day in will own a 94-95 model.
Classic design. Absolutely timeless.

Is yours v12 or 6. Spend so,e time on jag forums. Lots of people say bad things about those jags how they are nightmares, but same was said about the Mark vii.
If it's a 12 you want to make sure your cooling is in top notch shape. Also fuel lines have rubber parts that fail and can cause fire. Cheap to replace to avoid fire.

What happened to your green 7 ???
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC
87 MB 420SEL
-----------------------------------
92 LSC.
08 Lexus LS 460

Dave 92 LSC

Postby Stargazer LSC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am

My green 7 was T-boned on the 8th and totaled. Took a speeding station wagon for me. Happened just a little over a week from when I got hit on my motorcycle. I pissed the universe off, apparently.

She's got the V12 - I would have accepted no less! I'd done my research. I know I wanted a model in the mid '80s up to '88 because of the switch to the Marelli ignition in mid '89, and as a bonus I'd still have sealed beam headlamps. The fuel lines are on my list of things to replace. An engine fire does not sound fun. Almost went through a car fire. That's enough excitement. The Lucas system that I've got may break down for no reason and resist all attempts to repair it, but only the Marelli system can properly satisfy Michael Bay's thirst for explosions.

It shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did, but the XJS has many of the same "issues" that the Mark VII did - soft shifts, restrictive intake and exhaust. Much like a "new" Mark VII, these things are high on the list of things to fix - only instead of "advance timing, pull air silencer, add K&N (to taste) and adjust TV cable" it's "remove resonators, adjust vacuum modulator (installing adjustable vacuum modulator as required,) open intake, and install K&N (to taste.)"

What continues to surprise me is the availability of parts. With the Mark VII, If I couldn't find an engine or transmission part, I'd just ask for the exact same part - only for a Mustang. Worked every time. Anything else I could pick at the yards, salvage, or find on the board.

No auto parts store in the state of Minnesota has anything in stock for an 1988 Jaguar XJS, but the internet is positively swimming with bits and pieces - even the random trim pieces that you'd have to hit five yards in one day just to find one in slightly better condition than the one you're replacing (no one else does that? Me neither...)

So owning a Mark VII is a bit like being inducted into a secret society. You meet the people who have the knowledge to repair the things that cannot be repaired, the men who have the talent to repair the things that should not be opened, and the secret handshake to find the parts that cannot be otherwise found.

Owning a Jaguar XJS is kind of like joining a secret society - with a better web presence - and a more health-conscious philosophy. I'm a big guy, and that Mark VII had more room than I needed. I've even been in the back seat of that thing with no complaints. The Jaguar? Forget about it. The steering wheel doesn't tilt, I have zero headroom, and the back seat is for display purposes only - it's not an actual functioning feature of the car so much as it is a scale model of an artist's interpretation of what a backseat should be. The car also has a "trip computer," which makes me a bit misty-eyed, although it doesn't have a "DTE" function which means no irritating chime at startup, but also that I have to use the fuel gauge like a normal human being. What the "trip computer" does have, however, is a function that tells me how much fuel she's consumed. She's a calorie counter, and I should be as well, lest I want to relive my own birth every time I get out of the thing.
1992 Lincoln Mk VII LSC "Charisma" (R.I.P.)
Stargazer LSC

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 pm

"Charisma is dead ... Long live Charisma!"

Congratulations on the addition to the Family. We're very happy to read that your Mark saved your life.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Dave 92 LSC » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Stargazer.... I was trying to Pm you, but I'm not sure it's working.

Was wondering if you are planning to part you 7 .

I need a part.

You can email me at tbilisi79@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dave
88 LSC Black-5speed, TFS heads, 14.1-99mph R.I.P
90 LSC Black-5-speed LSC
95 Mark VIII
96 Mustang GT 'Vert
94 MB S500
98 Lexus LS400
73 Mark IV
98 LSC