A good price for '91 SE 5-speed?

A good price for '91 SE 5-speed?

Postby IndyDave » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Sure, I sold Cozmo, but it doesn't hurt to look at Marks, right?!

It's not like I'd buy another one! :lol:

But "just for conversation" is $6,000ish a decent deal?

I'd love to have your thoughts on all aspects.

Here is the rest of the story from the seller...

"Here is the opportunity for you to own a very unique vehicle. 91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC Special Edition 5.0 HO. This car is truly like a time capsule. Mechanically it is VERY sound, no rust just needs paint, clear coat issues. I am an ASE Technician, I performed all the work myself almost too much to list honestly. NO leaks, drips of ANY kind! Everything works as it should! Improved handling and appearance way beyond factory. 5 speed conversion done with premium quality parts. Rebuilt Mustang Cobra 5spd, Cobra rack and pinion, all new clutch components, new tires, improved interior LED lighting, Hurst competition shifter, upgraded audio with Bluetooth and JBL speakers all around, CHE performance rear upper and lower control arms, custom H-pipe and Side exhaust, true ROUSH rear spoiler painted by Hot Rods and Chrome, Cold air intake, AIR pump delete, the list goes on. Only reason I am selling, I want to buy a 84-92 Trans Am. I am taking reasonable offers."

Some of you may remember my looking at this car last February. At that time the 5-speed, spoiler (which is an abomination in my book), and handling bits weren't in the mix at that time. Maybe some other items as well.

He was asking around the same price, which is interesting.

This is almost in my back yard, so this really could be as good as I'm going to get without waiting and possibly driving a long distance.

The 5-speed piques my interest. My ultimate Mark would be a black on black 1992 SE, lower miles, moonroof and a well done 5-speed swap.

Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Re: A good price for '91 SE 5-speed?

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Dave... buy me...

Seriously, I can almost hear her calling your name.

8-)
Image Image

1990 LSC SE (a.k.a. "Christine")
1991 LSC (a.k.a. "Ghost")

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby IndyDave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 am

Ha! You may be right!

I noticed that you have some CHE products on your car (or cars). What can you tell about the ones that the seller shows and mentions? What was he looking for by putting on those parts? I would guess it was to firm up the suspension and have the ability to adjust things where the stock parts cannot.

Your thoughts?

Any insight into the 5-speed swap. Is that operation straight forward or could it be botched and be problematic later on?

I drive my Marks, verses letting them sit, so I imagine a test drive will be especially important given the 5 speed. My Z06 had such a low first gear that stop and go traffic was agonizing. I don't want to end up hating the manual tranny in this Mark.

phoenix wrote:Dave... buy me...

Seriously, I can almost hear her calling your name.

8-)
Image Image
1989 LSC sold in 1995 | 1991 LSC, "Cosmo", sold August 11 2016. I'm "between Marks" at the moment. ;)
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am

Good morning, Dave.

Yeah, the Red (Christine) has all the aftermarket junk. There's a couple good discussion threads of CHE in the "modifying" forum, if you're curious for a 2nd (and 10th) opinion. I got them because Christine's rear control bushings were shot and needed to be replaced, and I wanted the most handling I could get out of the replacement. The lower rear CHE arms were easily the most dramatic suspension upgrade I did on that car other than retrofitting back to air suspension. The entire behavior of the vehicle changed, and definitely for the better. There was improvement in handling, braking, ride (eliminating slop improves the ride), and the handling improvement was insane. Another member on this forum compared the lower CHE arms to a panhard bar, noting that adding the arms pretty much eliminates the need for the bar. It's really worth it and you get to keep the air suspension because they designed them for Marks.

The upper CHE arms are more tricky. Since our rear height sensor mounts to the RR upper arm, a mount for it has to be welded to the CHE arm because they did not attach a sensor mount to it (my guess is, the upper arms were not designed specifically for the Mark VII but rather for all Foxes). I didn't do it so I have a stock upper arm there (and a CHE on the other side lol), but looks like this guy has (he's got a picture of it to prove it, too).

He's also got the caster plates like Christine which means the front is now located really well (stock strut bushings are sloppy even when new). The only question is what sway bars is he running on that thing, stock or bigger. Either way, that thing will ride a little firmer than a stock LSC, although if the front bushings aren't poly it might still be soft enough.

I would test drive it just for curiosity's sake, if nothing else!

No thoughts on the 5-speed, haven't done, but there is a loooooongish thread in "modifying" about it! 8-)

Good to see you back, happy New Year!
Image Image

Christine: Arnott air springs/front, Suncore air springs/rear, CHE rear control arms, 1.5/16" front "Turbo Coupe" bar, Addco 415 rear bar, poly bushings everywhere, 1x2" SF connectors, MM caster plates, KYB shocks, Michelin Defenders, special order factory built Turbo Coupe color scheme cloth LSC buckets (with a matching backseat), factory CD/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

Ghost: factory air springs, everything stock (except the front buckets out of '88 XR7), factory cassette/JBL (resto: Paul Protos)

latest 3 projects: brake accumulator/system flush (Ghost), rear calipers (Ghost), ignition coil (Ghost)
phoenix

Postby IndyDave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 pm

phoenix wrote:Good morning, Dave....Good to see you back, happy New Year!

Thanks! Happy New Year to you as well!

Good info. Thanks for that.

Had a good talk with "HotRodLSCSE", the seller and fellow club member. Later I was able to peruse his posts. I have a general knowledge of mechanical things but you guys are way ahead of me.

It's funny, in that he hasn't told his wife that he listed it and I haven't told Sweetpea that I'm looking at another Mark. :lol: I guess his wife loves the car but doesn't drive a stick. Sweetpea would drive a stick but unfortunately she simply doesn't like Marks. :roll:

No moonroof in the car. That is something I'd miss but not having a Mark right now means I don't have a moonroof anyway. ;)

Not sure about painting the car. That's a tough expenditure to swallow.

He doesn't want to take the car out of the garage in snow, salt, etc. I wouldn't either, so we will look for a time to drive it. Neither of us in a hurry but I am really interested on how it drives. I think I'd enjoy it.

I have some reservations about a living with a vehicle that has custom fixes, aftermarket bits and a tranny swap but I'm warming up to it more.
Image Image
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby phoenix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm

IndyDave wrote:I have some reservations about a living with a vehicle that has custom fixes, aftermarket bits and a tranny swap but I'm warming up to it more.

The spoiler could always come off. Looks like he rerouted the pipes so that might be harder to eliminate. The rest is invisible... The 5-speed is interesting, I have no idea how much I would enjoy a Mark VII with it! Probably not in Chicago (I'd rather play with the radio while sitting in traffic) ...but the roads around Indy are practically made for it!
Image Image

phoenix

Postby LLFordman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Dave, I completed my first 5 speed and Mass Air swap on my first LSC (Titanium 91) back in 1998. Having been around these setups for nearly twenty years I have learned a good bit along the way so I'll try and help you with your decision.

First, you asked will I like a 5 speed? I would say that you probably will, IF it is setup correctly. The 94-95 T-5's fit the best. The '93 and down trans are shorter and require a custom driveshaft. This can cause vibration issue's especially if the car is lowered at all. Next is engine RPM range vs rear axle ratio. My green 92's engine is essentially stock except exhaust. Along with the T-5 I installed a 3:73 gear set. The car drove like a tractor. It was awful as the power band of the stock motor didn't match the gear set. Swapping back to the 3:27's was much better. It still is a bit limited in the upper RPM's but I may work on that with a Tweecer R/T in the future. A good clutch package is needed to be comfortable driving the car for any length of time. If you are tall like me, you may need a shifter handle that angles back towards you to reach third and fifth gears easily.

As for the car you are looking at, that spoiler needs to go in my opinion as do the side outlet exhaust tips. On the moon roof, I would rather not have one if I had my choice as parts for them are non existent. Also, I would get the car on a lift so you can inspect the under side for rust. It appears that the fuel lines are quite rusty.

Price is difficult on these cars. The market is so small it really comes down to what you and the owner are comfortable with.

Good luck in your decision.
Julian
W4VCO

1990 Mark VII Convertible Twilight Blue
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
1991 Mark VII LSC Titanium Frost
1992 Mark VII LSC Deep Jewel Green
1997 F350 PSD CC SRW Performance White
1998 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue
2001 Explorer Limited 5.0 Spruce Green

"I have a plan, just not all the money"
LLFordman
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Image Image
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Dave,
I'm missing the check sum in the VIN of this car. Do you have it?
1LNCM93xxMY715225
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby IndyDave » Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 am

Hi John,

The Craigslist ad is gone and the pictures above are all I can find. The numbers are tough to read.

I went through my phonebook and found his number if you want it. I have not talked to him for a good while.

He may be driving the car since he no longer has a company car to use.

Phone: 765-414-8579 His name is Chad
Image Image
IndyDave
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm

I can dig it.

Thanks for the resource.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Dave just curious if you ever found what you were looking for? I haven't been on Craigslist or this forum for a while to see if the one in Cincinnati ever sold or had the price reduced.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Return to The Mark VII Bar and Grill