What Did You Do To Your Mark VII Today?

Re: What Did You Do To Your Mark VII Today?

Postby BSharp1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I replaced the rack a few weeks ago because it did not have much boost and terrible on center feel. The new rack was better but on center feel was still not very good. I installed the rack bushing that came with the new rack. I had the wife turn the steering wheel the other day while it was on ramps and was surprised how much the rack housing move left and right. I installed urethane bushings as others have done and night and day difference. So much better. During sweeping turns if I turned the wheel slightly to make an adjustment the rack housing would move until the bushings would bottom out then the rack would move the wheels but by that time I have stopped turned the steering wheel. So back and forth the steering wheel would go while trying to keep a steady arc.

If you have not installed urethane rack bushings, you should. Some listings do not show Mk VII so just look up same year mustang.
90 White LSC
90 Mustang LX
95 Lightning
BSharp1

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Urethane rack bushings.

Thank you for the HANDS ON tip!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Miah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Got most of the radio harness plugs replaced. Took some extra time since the ends I snagged were off 90-91 Towncars, so the color codes changed. Had to compare my manual to a printout for the TC & match everything up. Spent over a half hr curled up in the trunk getting most of the amp-to-speaker plug hooked up. Will finish that up tomorrow. Also installed the power antenna I got last weekend from a later model Continental. had to swap the outer tube since body hole mount was different & splice the wiring harness since they changed the plug, but it now works perfectly. Started tinkering with the primary cig lighter socket since it's all corroded up & dead, may need to find another since this one's pretty bad,

Also installed a new TPS since it tends to idle high, but that didn't solve the problem. Still it was pretty cheap & I know it's been replaced for peace of mind.
Miah

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Took the Ox to my smog guy for a smog check. I remember the last time I did it, he said that he had to run it for quite a while for him to reach a good temp. So this time I drove it from home and did a little "spirited" :shock: freeway jaunt to warm things up. Lucky he was able to take the Ox in right away while he was still breathing "HOT" and he passed without any problem.....Last time I just dropped him off as I work right down the street and he cooled down before the test.. Next is Blu.... Funny how they both are due for smog/license at the same time of year. :twisted:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:13 am

WHITEOXLSC wrote:Took the Ox to my smog guy for a smog check. I remember the last time I did it, he said that he had to run it for quite a while for him to reach a good temp. So this time I drove it from home and did a little "spirited" :shock: freeway jaunt to warm things up. Lucky he was able to take the Ox in right away while he was still breathing "HOT" and he passed without any problem.....Last time I just dropped him off as I work right down the street and he cooled down before the test.. Next is Blu.... Funny how they both are due for smog/license at the same time of year. :twisted:

Funny, mine have never been checked, how do they do that? Funny,

I aired up my air springs and my tires last week, it's getting warmer here and soon I can work on things outside.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm

CDW6212R wrote:
Funny, mine have never been checked, how do they do that? Funny,

I aired up my air springs and my tires last week, it's getting warmer here and soon I can work on things outside.

Well here in Cali, the smog check is every other year with your license renewal The Ox was due and then when I got the renewal for Blu (our new addition) it is also due for a smog, instead of one, one year and the other the next. Well I guess on the bright side, I won't have to do any smog on the Lincoln renewals next year :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Delete please.
Last edited by CDW6212R on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Miah » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Pulled the seat covers off the Volbeast today & found the drivers seat was rougher than expected. Was also fighting with the power seat controls & got the seat laid back, but it won't go back forward. Hit 2 different Pick-n-pull type places looking for some sort of near match to set on the Mark7 seat to track dimensions & had a lot of trouble. Finally found 1 decent looking cloth mustang seat that is fairly self contained with a near match bolt pattern. It looks to be 14"x14" while the M7 has 14"x14-3/4" roughly speaking. Hopefully It'll do for a temporary seat while I try to figure out what I want to do for a permanent solution.

Didn't realize how tough it would be to find something that can just bolt down onto the M7 power track unit w/ minimum modifying.

SUNDAY EDIT:

Cleaned the contacts on the driver's seat switch & that fixed it all, so stuck the original seat back in instead of the Mustang seat. Took the passenger door panel off & found another PO mess, so started tinkering on that door next. Had to make yet another junkyard run for some door lock cylinder parts, couple more power mirror switches, & some minor plastic trim bits.

Anyone know where to source replacement sound deadening door pads? PO tore the crap out of these.
Miah

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 pm

JoeyChrome added DynaMat products to one of his cars when the enterior was removed.
Today, it's probably quieter than when it left the factory.
http://dynamatstore.com/
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 pm

I took "Blu" in for a smog check and expected passed with flying colors. Guess the low mileage has something to do with that. Other than that, nothing to exciting... car wise that is.... 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Miah » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 pm

New BWD temp sensor, now gauge is much better, but still reading a bit low. It'll jump when I slap the dash, so likely need to clean the cluster ground even though it has kick panel ground added. Got parts purchased from Tom, but patched up my one door panel insulation, chased down replacement door panel clips, & got the passenger door back together. Now I just need some more clips to put the lower carpet panel back on & clean the seat control contacts before I put the upper panel on.

Finally I pulled the stock mirror switch apart & found it was busted instead of just dirty so I used the pigtail off it to make an adapter harness so I can use mid-90s Town Car mirror switches instead. Now I have working power mirrors again & the option for easier to find switches in case of future failure.
Miah

Postby LLFordman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Swapped the Speed Density ECU out for an A9L Mass Air computer in my 5 speed Green 92 LSC. It starts, idles, and pulls smoother than it ever has. Someone had put one of those silly "Jet" chips in the old computer which didn't work well with the 5 speed let alone the explorer intake. One thing I will note on the MAF conversion that comes up from time to time is the signal to pin #19 from the fuel pump relay. I didn't feel like chasing down the pink/black fuel pump line and feeding a wire to it, so a quick solution to keep the ECU from setting a code was to use a 1n4001 general purpose diode between pin #22 Fuel Pump and pin #19 Fuel Pump Monitor. The cathode (or banded end) of the diode goes towards pin #22.
Julian
W4VCO

1990 Mark VII Convertible Twilight Blue
1990 Mark VII LSC SE Dark Titanium
1991 Mark VII LSC Titanium Frost
1992 Mark VII LSC Deep Jewel Green
1997 F350 PSD CC SRW Performance White
1998 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue
2001 Explorer Limited 5.0 Spruce Green

"I have a plan, just not all the money"
LLFordman
CLUB MEMBER

Postby ricardocordoba » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 am

Today I finally installed a NOS keypad and door lock actuators. Now I have working locks again and can open the doors with the keypad.
ricardocordoba
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 2manymarks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

:roll: Actually it was yesterday, but l finally got around to replacing the alternator in the 87 Base. Although it was charging just fine, it was the source of a lot of noise-a bad bearing. A least it is drivable now and after a visit to the repair shop it should be a good spare. :) 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Previous

Return to The Mark VII Bar and Grill