Intense Grinding Sound

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

Intense Grinding Sound

Postby CleanMachine89 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I had a good deal of troubleshooting luck from this community a year ago and was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction again.

The trouble exists with my right front wheel. Whenever turning the steering wheel to the left, I hear this sound, "kr kr kr kr kr". It is loudest at 15 degrees counterclockwise and going uphill. Lately, the sound has been happening even while going straight and having the foot off the accelerator. The sound cuts out immediately when I rotate right.

Now, it sounds like it might be obvious to somebody that has a look at it BUT 2 of my fellow mechanics had completely different ideas about what's causing it - one having to do with the suspension system and the other with the exhaust.

The only thing that makes the grinding sound better is pumping up the air suspension all the way. In the winter time, sometimes the sound goes away all on its own.

It randomly started while I was driving up a 10 degree incline. Figuring it was pebble and it would need some time to wear down.

This is otherwise spoiling a great riding experience. Thanks!
CleanMachine89

Re: Intense Grinding Sound

Postby jud149 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:29 am

Have you checked the wheel bearings?
'91 LSC, '11 Lexus LS 460
jud149

Re: Intense Grinding Sound

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Do it soon before the bearings and spindle fail completely and you lose the wheel. The cracking noise from the wheel is classic bearing failure. It happened to my girlfriend's '77 T-Bird on the Merrit Parkway. The only thing keeping the wheel to the car will be the brake caliper. We don't want to see you have an accident!

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Drivetrain