88 LSC wont engage Park

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

88 LSC wont engage Park

Postby Talkingrey98 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi all,
I sold my fathers 88 Lincoln LSC to a friend back in March. It is in good shape overall. 97,000 miles. Tranny rebuilt at 93,000 miles. He called me today and said when he got out of the car at a store, the car began to roll backwards. He got in and started it up and was able to drive in reverse in both PARK and REVERSE. Neutral and DRIVE were fine. Car shifted smoothly through all the gears too. Any thoughts. He's drove it a mile home and chucked the wheels. Sunday he plans to drive it 2 miles (back roads at 30 mph or less) to his brothers house were he can get it on a lift. Thanks
Ryan in CT
Talkingrey98

Re: 88 LSC wont engage Park

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:11 pm

This is a new one to me.

I'm interested inn what you Guys find.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:54 am

Talkingrey98 wrote:Hi all,
I sold my fathers 88 Lincoln LSC to a friend back in March. It is in good shape overall. 97,000 miles. Tranny rebuilt at 93,000 miles. He called me today and said when he got out of the car at a store, the car began to roll backwards. He got in and started it up and was able to drive in reverse in both PARK and REVERSE. Neutral and DRIVE were fine. Car shifted smoothly through all the gears too. Any thoughts. He's drove it a mile home and chucked the wheels. Sunday he plans to drive it 2 miles (back roads at 30 mph or less) to his brothers house were he can get it on a lift. Thanks
Ryan in CT

Welcome Ryan.

Given that the transmission was just rebuilt 4000 miles back, it's almost certain that the shift cable at the trans is not adjusted properly. That's an easy thing to adjust, under the car. Get it up high enough to safely get to the left side of the trans. There is one bolt which holds the cable onto the shift arm of the trans.

Place the transmission shifter in NEUTRAL I believe it is(one position is the standard initial set point(it's not critical, you will check all positions during process)). Loosen that one bolt and then move the trans shift lever through all positions to verify proper movement, and to learn(get comfortable) with where each position is located. Note where PARK is, that will be at one end and you will absolutely feel the park pawl engage the notch in the output shaft. From that point you can easily find each gear.

Carefully place the trans lever in NEUTRAL, be sure that the floor shifter is in the matching position(nobody has moved it), and tighten that one bolt. Get out and double check that the floor shifter feels right going through the gears, and park. That's it, lots of words to describe a super easy task.

If the adjustment wasn't off, then the park position probably won't feel right when engaged at the trans lever. That would make me wonder what shape the parking pawl and the output teeth look like. The part with the teeth is attached to the output shaft, and also engages the planetary. The pawl just goes into any of the slots/teeth on the outside surface of that. But they would rarely get damaged, that should take a lot of abuse slamming the shifter into park while moving.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Talkingrey98 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll pass it on to my friend. I'll keep you posted.
Ryan
Talkingrey98

Postby Talkingrey98 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi again everyone.
The 88 LSC is all fixed. You were correct Don, the shift cable was out of adjustment. I got your instructions as well as pictures, copies of manual pages and diagrams over to him this morning. He and his brother made the adjustment within a few minutes and had it working perfectly. I spent the last few days reading many of the drivetrain posts relating to the shift cable and tv cable. A lot of information posted over the years. He checked the tv cable for the first time and found the green bushing in great shape. I'm wondering if that was what failed on my father in 2009 and toasted the tranny. Ironically, I'm betting the tranny shop didn't know it was the cause because when he picked it up, within seconds of getting on the highway he turned around and brought it right back because it was shifting hard. He drove it less than a mile. The next day he got a call that it was all set and they "replaced a solenoid" that was not working right. Guessing they found the tv cable disconnected at the bushing and just put a new bushing on. I'll probably will never know but all the original symptoms match what happens if the bushing falls out. The car was a garage queen and my father put only 3000 miles on it 7 years. I sold it to my friend this spring after my father lost his battle to cancer last fall. It took 5 months for me to bring myself to actually sell the car but I get to see it 5 days a week still, lol. Thank you Don for all your help. I'll be posting questions as my friend and I slowly fix various things. Next will be the air suspension. Front drops sometimes in an hour, other times overnight, but the back never drops at all.
Talkingrey98

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Well done, you handled that thoroughly. These cars are great and just need plenty of love and attention. This forum has everything an owner might need for knowledge about the important things. Keep digging into the car and you will appreciate it more and more. Regards,
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Drivetrain