overdrive issues

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

overdrive issues

Postby kchaos » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:34 pm

when i hit the throttle my car won't go over 40 mph.in overdrive , then i put the car in reg. drive it drives fine? please advise.. thanks..
kchaos
CLUB MEMBER

Re: overdrive issues

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Check the TV cable connection on the throttle body. You can see this better if you remove the air intake tube. If the cable is disconnected DO NOT drive the car anywhere until you reconnect the cable. Damage to the overdrive will result if you keep driving the car. There are replacement bushings made of bronze that replace the original plastic bushing. Do a search here you will find lots of info on this issue......
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby jcdrhunt » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Would this apply to the 84 as well?
jcdrhunt

Postby kchaos » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 pm

ok thanks, but it looks like the cable is intact but the cable to the left looks like its not fully retracted ??
kchaos
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

84's I believe use a different type of connection. If the connection is good but the cable has slack, it could be possible that the connection of the cable at the transmission has become disconnected. This is just a guess as I own two 1990's. Maybe someone with an 84 version will chime in....
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby CDW6212R » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 am

The early Mark VII's had a TV rod instead of a cable, those with throttle body injection. The rod mounts to the driver's side of the TB, and it has a similar bushing on each end. Those bushings also wear out, mainly they get slop in them way before falling apart. Check both bushings and replace them very soon. it would also help to readjust the TV pressure, it reduces over this long age.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 am

kchaos wrote:ok thanks, but it looks like the cable is intact but the cable to the left looks like its not fully retracted ??

We have a very different setup for our 1994 Lincoln Continental Mark VIIs.

This is a case of taking it to a transmission shop.

Let us know how you proceed.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Drivetrain