Axle / Differential question

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

Axle / Differential question

Postby gregsmy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I have a project vehicle that I purchased from somebody that had started building it. He used the drivetrain out of a 89 LSC. After I started working on it I discovered that the rear axle is a few inches too wide to work with the rear fenders. So after doing some research I found references that say the axles are longer than the mustang but the housing is the same. I think thats because they have the ABS gears on them. I checked on Rockauto and the calipers and rotors are the same as the 84-86 SVO mustang. So my question is if I can get some shorter axles to swap in and whether the brakes would still work (not the ABS)? I am wondering if the caliper bracket would be different to compensate for the shorter axles? Thanks
gregsmy

Re: Axle / Differential question

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:18 pm

The Fox Mustang uses the same rear housing as the Mark VII's(and the TBirds and Cougars with 8.8's)

The difference is the axles and brakes, brackets and all. You can swap axles, but you need the matching brakes, the rotor, caliper bracket and caliper etc, hoses too. What is the project vehicle, are the wheels offset the right amount?
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby gregsmy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

It's in 1936 ford truck. I guess the po didn't take the time to measure things. These trucks have narrow rear fenders and not much room. He had the original lsc wheels on it that have a lot of back space. But when you put on some traditional looking wheels, they stick out past the fender edge by about 1.5". I found some reference to flipping the caliper brackets and using shorter axles but all the links on how to do it I come across are old and dont work.
gregsmy

Postby CDW6212R » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:26 pm

The Fox Mustang axles are the shortest length, and those(and brakes) are very common at parts stores. Hunt those as 1987-1993 Mustang 302 rear axle parts.

For mixing brake parts, I'd search on the Corral forum, which is a huge Mustang forum that no doubt has tons of swapping threads. I'm not sure if you can get the tires in 1.5" per side, with those LSC wheel offsets. You might need to fit a wheel with more offset(35mm offset is inward more than 20mm). Test fit a 94-2004 Mustang wheel to see how that compares to the LSC wheel.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Drivetrain