Transmission Flush Help / Need Tips & Tricks

Discussion of STOCK transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles, wheels, tires, power steering pumps, racks, pinions, linkage systems.

Transmission Flush Help / Need Tips & Tricks

Postby 89Mark7Owner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Hello,
I have a couple of questions about flushing the transmission fluid in a 1989 Lincoln Mark 7 LSC. I would like to completely flush all the transmission fluid and also change out the trans filter. My first question is how many quarts total will I need to purchase when I completely flush out all the transmission fluid? My second question is, I read in another topic on this site, that once you remove the trans pan and replace the filter, at that step it only takes out as much as 50% of less of the total fluid. The other half needs to be flushed out of the lines and cooler, etc. Where do you disconnect the cooling return line in order to flush the remaining fluid out of the entire system? Where should you disconnect this line at? , Near the transmission or the front of the car? I also read that once you disconnect the said line, you start the car so it further pushes out the remaining fluid through the line. Do you need to add fluid in the dipstick line as you are doing this process or it's okay to run you car and transmission for a couple of seconds without any fluid in the system. Also I heard that some people use a air compress and hook It up to the line to push out any fluid, dirt that may be stuck in the lines. Is that a safe process to do , would it damage anything? I know it's a lot of questions. Thank you guys in advance.
89Mark7Owner

Re: Transmission Flush Help / Need Tips & Tricks

Postby robertbweltzien » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Unless the fluid is badly burnt, I would just drain the pan and converter and refill with fresh fluid. Do it after the car has been driven to suspend all the deposits. My '89 LSC had dark fluid when I bought it 14 years ago and I have changed the fluid every 50K, pan and converter. Eventually I went to B&M Trickshift and tightened up on the throttle cable. Nice firm shifts, no problems at 200K. These AODs will last forever with regular maintenance. I am averse to pumping out the fluid by running the engine because the pump will starve for fluid. Of course, if you find a lot of clutch material and metal shavings, the tranny is not long for this world.

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby mikeceli » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 am

I'm w/ Robert.

Pull the pan, change the filter. remove the bell housing inspection plate. Carefully turn the converter by prying on the ring gear. You want the square head drain plug at the bottom. remove it and drain the converter. I put a little teflon PASTE on the plug and snug it up. Not too tight. Add a bottle of "Lubeguard" trans fluid supplement (NAPA stors) and top up w/ Mercon ATF.

I do this every 30,000 on my cars.

1988 VII LSC 284,000 miles, 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 diesel 185,000 miles trans never apart. You do not want to be screwing around trying to flush the last quart of ATF out.
GOD BLESS AMERICA]

1988 Mark VII LSC

2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev VOLT
2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel
1996 Implal SS Black
1996 Impala SS Dark Cherry
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan
1986 Corvette Coupe
1989 IROC-Z Camaro convertible
1986 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
1979 "Y84" "Bandit" Trans Am 403/AT
mikeceli

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:28 am

Great description on a transmission fluid change.
Thank you very much for the information!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 89Mark7Owner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you guys very much for your replies. Great useful information. Thanks
89Mark7Owner

Postby 89Mark7Owner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Actually I just thought of a new question to ask you guys. I never used synthetic ATF Fluid before in my car, and I was wondering if I could replace Trans Fluid with synthetic fluid, if there is also regular ATF fluid in my system? Can you mix non synthetic fluid with synthetic fluid. I do know that if you have regular engine oil , you must flush it out in order to use Synthetic oil and once you start using Synthetic oil in a car , you can never go back to regular oil. btw, I do use synthetic oil in my car. does this rule apply to a Automatic Transmission as well? Thanks for any replies.
89Mark7Owner

Return to Drivetrain