NOS antenna with different electrical function

Discussion of STOCK anti-theft system, charging system, connections, fuses, grounds, ignition system, lighting system, relays, sensors, switches, wiring systems.

NOS antenna with different electrical function

Postby MKVII » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am

Hi everyone,

I just received a NOS part to replace my automatic antenna on my 1984 Mark. The old one was crap and impossible to repair by exchange of the antenna mast (damage of motor and certain plastic parts inside.

Now comes my headache: The new antenna came with part number E4LY-18850-B, while the original is E4LY-18850-AA. The new antenna came with its own relay mounted aside and a different connector. I checked the wires to test its functionality. The new antenna must always be powered +12V on red wire regardless of the direction where to move (up/down). The direction to move is signaled on the green wire. This is different from the signal wires, which come from the original antenna relay.

In contrast, what is required, on the 1984 Mark there are two wires from the original antenna relay going to the antenna to power +12V for up and down by using two different wires. The original logic is: Red/pink wire is +12V to move antenna up, green/yellow wire is powered +12V to move antenna down. No voltage on both wires at the same time. Green wire is also +12V if ignition is switched off. Now, the new antenna needs +12V on red wire. Probably you may imagine, where my headache came from.

Unfortunately, there are differences in how this new antenna will work electrically. So it cannot be just connected to the two wires from the original antenna relay.

Question 1: The major problem is: How to especially "emulate" the old function: Ignition switch off = antenna shall move down. I think it will be required to find permanent +12V somewhere in the trunk on a different location. Which wire can be used? This then shall be used by the new antenna to enable its functionality on the red wire. I have the original shop manual. Unfortunately, there is no detailed wiring diagrams contained.

Question 2: How to get this antenna to work?

Anyone here, who already successfully figured out how to solve this sort of a problem?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by MKVII on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My other car is a Lincoln.
Lincoln Mark VII Continental 1984, Corvette L-82 1979, Pontiac Firebird 1994

ImageImage
MKVII
CLUB MEMBER

Re: NOS antenna with different electrical

Postby MKVII » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

For those having a similar issue with replacement, I finally found the solution myself.

I unplugged the electrical connector to the antenna relay. Then carefully measured voltages from the different states: Ignition on w/ radio off, ignition on w/ radio on, Ignition off w/ radio on, and both off. So I found +12V voltage at two pins of the relay connector. I disassembled the connector of the new antenna. The housing is snap-on and can be assembled again. So I could figure out how the pin layout is and how the two wires will connect. I found them matching with the two wires from the electrical connector to relay.

Finally, after happy measuring voltages on and off for a while, I found my trivial solution just easy:

Remove the old antenna: Start with removal of the carpet. Removing antenna was the most difficult part, as the antenna was stuck full way out and did not move up/down an inch. I had to remove all screws holding the antenna and motor chassis and disassemble chassis, motor and mast in the trunk. In this case it could not came out of the car without destroying it.

Swap the new antenna into the car is just bolt on. Then unplug the connector from the original antenna relay, which is located in the left trunk fender in front of the antenna. Carefully pull the antenna relay off the frame where it is fixed by a clip. Try not to destroy the clip holding it. Carefully unmount the clip from the relay. The clip is snap in, you will see how and where to pull and move with a small screwdriver. Then pull the clip to the new connector. Now, the new connector of the antenna will be placed at the location of the original relay. Put the electrical connector to the connector of the antenna mounted on the frame, and ... That's it! Keep the original relay, you'll never know...

Don't wonder, if the connector is larger than the original relay. It fits perfectly. Be lucky with your new antenna!

Actually there are a few more new old stock antennas on ebay. Mine was shipped very quickly from the US to Germany

ImageImage
MKVII
CLUB MEMBER

Re: NOS antenna with different electrical function

Postby oldschool1 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 am

MKVII,

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

I LOVE posts about our 1984s (I have two).

I even printed this post for reference when I work on my car.

Thanks!

Oh and who was the seller?
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: NOS antenna with (not) different electrical function

Postby MKVII » Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Seller is on ebay USA. Delivered very quickly (to Europe).
http://www.ebay.de/itm/New-Genuine-OEM- ... 1690167313

Stupid enough to see that I didn't realize from the beginning how easily the antenna could be replaced. :-) Feels like having a brand new car.

ImageImage
MKVII
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Excellent resource.
Thank you!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby MKVII » Sat May 20, 2017 2:09 am

Yes, exactly, what I have got and used to replace. Might be also interesting to have the part number at hand. I wrote it down in my article, because you'll never know (e.g. pics got lost).

ImageImage
MKVII
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electrical