Pulsating lights and amp light.

Discussion of STOCK anti-theft system, charging system, connections, fuses, grounds, ignition system, lighting system, relays, sensors, switches, wiring systems.

Pulsating lights and amp light.

Postby robertbweltzien » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:41 pm

My '89 LSC has pulsating lights, LED displays and indicator lights. Never gets past 14.00 volts when revved up. Always seems to take a trickle charge, maybe 7-8 amps. Alternator is a rebuild with lifetime warranty from one of the major stores, about three years old. The regulator was replaced last year. All the grounds are clean, especially the regulator. Amp light isn't on when running, only with key on engine off. I know these stock alternators can't keep up with all accessories on at idle, but it seems to be a diode on it's way out. I don't have an oscilloscope to check the wave pattern. This all started after the car was out in the rain (Harvey) What do you guys/gals think?

Bob
Medicine, Biomedicine, Mechanics and MK VIIs
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Re: Pulsating lights and amp light.

Postby jud149 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:31 am

I'd have one of the part stores check the charging system.
'91 LSC, '11 Lexus LS 460
jud149

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:58 am

The original 1G alternators are very good when in top condition and the car is unaltered with added accessories. I'd agree that something is up with that alternator. If it's from a good place to deal with, I'd take it back there. If it's trouble to go that way, I'd consider another unit, keep the old as a spare, or upgrade to the 3G(conversion) unit.

I've liked my 3G since converting it about ten years ago. I have maybe 35k miles on it though, the used one I got and had tested has been flawless. I also had battery cable issues back then, so the old alternator(I have under drive pulleys) clouded my diagnostic process. After doing the alternator, I quickly found the poor cables, and new ones solved my starting issue.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks, Don. The 3G replacement kit is looking better every day.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:46 pm

I've researched the suppliers of a new 3G in the past but have since lost the info. Who would you folks recommend for a new unit that fits our Marks (89 LSC). I looked again at PA Performance. Are they any good?

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:49 pm

robertbweltzien wrote:... I know these stock alternators can't keep up with all accessories on at idle, ...

Actually Bob, they can. Like mentioned above, you cannot discount ANY part of the charging system AND the tension and age of your drive belt. A small, 18 gauge ground wire (battery to head lamp shock brace) kept one of my cars down for over a week as I went through the system. A stretched and slipping belt will also cause the conditions that you described.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the conversion ... just make sure that it's what you want to do before you go through with it.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am

Oh for the want of an oscilloscope! Actually, oldschool1, the belt is a year old and the tensioner is around three, with no visible slippage with everything on and running. Both USA made. However, the 18 gauge battery wire-that is original. Thanks for giving me an idea of where to check before condemning the alternator.

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 am

You are welcome.
Thank ~you~ for keeping a Lincoln Mark VII on the road!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby robertbweltzien » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm

John, I bought the car off the original owner 14 years ago and I've driven it 120,000 miles. I will have to find someone to will it to!

Bob
robertbweltzien
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm

John Dancy Sr :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electrical