Car wont start!!!

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Car wont start!!!

Postby Chrisc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:04 pm

So a while back my 84 mark vii with the 5.0 engine was starting barely but to keep it running i had to pump the gas constantly to keep it running or it woukd shut right off.. Then just stopped running all together.. Now a couple years later im still stumped and cant figure out what is preventing it from starting up... Replaced the fuel pump and filter already.. And spark plugs and wires. Took the throttle body apartand cleaned allllll the carbon build up out.. Please help!!
Chrisc

Re: Car wont start!!!

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:51 pm

YAY!
A 1984 QUESTION!
Chrisc wrote:So a while back my 84 mark vii with the 5.0 engine was starting barely but to keep it running i had to pump the gas constantly to keep it running or it woukd shut right off.. Then just stopped running all together..
Easy. The answer is either air, fire, or fuel.
Chrisc wrote:Now a couple years later im still stumped and cant figure out what is preventing it from starting up... Replaced the fuel pump and filter already..
Did you know that our 1984s have two fuel pumps? Which did you change?
The in tank fuel pump (fuel sender) with a four wire connection, has a HUGE fuel pick up that chronically would clog as it had a fine mesh strainer.
The second pump is mounted on the rail near the fuel filter that you changed.
Chrisc wrote:And spark plugs and wires. Took the throttle body apart and cleaned allllll the carbon build up out.. Please help!!

Below the throttle body is the EGR manifold and valve. If you had carbon in the throttle body, then your EGR system is going to look like a coal mine. See this thread for more information and let us all know how you proceed!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Chrisc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 pm

I did not know about the fuel pump in the tank so the other one was replaced. But now thinking about it i might of cleaned out the egr as well because i was thinking how was this car running with all this build up.. I will look at the in tank pump tomorrow and let you know what i find out!!
Chrisc

Postby K MANIAC » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm

OMG! Lincoln used a two pump system in 1984?

I encountered this design on my 1986 Volvo 740. Learned real quick to always replace the pumps together as there was no filter between the two pumps. A damaged in tank pump and/or pick up would damage both pumps. If you then replaced only the main pump under the car, the mess in the tank would destroy the replaced pump within a month.
"This car may be old, but it will still climb Kirker Pass at 110!"- quote of the original owner of my green 1964 Chrysler 300-K

1986 Continental
1989 Mark VII Bill Blass (Oxford White)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Pewter Metallic)
1989 Mark VII LSC (Sandstone Metallic)
1/2 of a 1992 Town Car Signature (my guaranteed inheritance)
K MANIAC
BOARD MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 pm

K MANIAC wrote:OMG! Lincoln used a two pump system in 1984?

I encountered this design on my 1986 Volvo 740. Learned real quick to always replace the pumps together as there was no filter between the two pumps. A damaged in tank pump and/or pick up would damage both pumps. If you then replaced only the main pump under the car, the mess in the tank would destroy the replaced pump within a month.

Good to know. Thanks.
Yeah. I'm STILL looking for that fuel sender. I'm ready to buy an entire car just to get it.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10124
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine