1990 FUEL TANK / FUEL PUMP REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Once I removed the fuel tank and fuel pump on the 1984 and found them BOTH to be toast, I chose to look at the fuel tank and fuel pump on the Black 1990, OldSchool1. I dropped the tank to replace the pump and found the pump had failed but the tank and the fuel were in really good condition!

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Re: 1990 FUEL TANK / FUEL PUMP REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

Postby White Lincoln » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:52 pm

John,
Looks like your vise grips are missing a part! Can I send you another pair? :lol:

Any chance this will turn into a write up and be in the tech articles?
White Lincoln
SITE ADMIN

Postby oldschool1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks but I didn't loose the bolt; I had to remove it to get the jaws to he size needed to hold the filler tube up for easy tank removal. I dropped the tank in the Black 1990 by my self so I used several items as a replacement for a third hand. Milk crates and coffee cans are my Friends too :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I had two hours to kill so I installed a new fuel pump in OldSchool1, my 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC.

oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 pm

The cars there have a rough life with the environment don't they?

Those are nice new clean parts. I'd buy a corrosion product to spray onto anything possible as you get to things. I like Eastwood products, and they have the best rust chemicals. I'd spray their Rust Dissolver on any visible rust or corrosion. That's the first step in a process to stop rust, not a one product that does it all. It's the best for reaching corrosion anywhere, like inside seams. It's a like water liquid, it will wick into cracks etc. Use something additionally to seal with, like their Rust Encapsulator. That stuff is thick, like cold paint, and brushes on well.

I have a lady coworker who asked me today about her Jeep Cherokee and a strong gas odor inside the cabin. Another lady had borrowed it weeks back and reported a little gas visible on the side of the gas tank. I asked her what work may have been done on the tank, lines etc. She said the pump had been replaced not too long ago, and they cut a hole in the floor to get to it. From that I told her that most likely her leak is probably right under that added hole, close enough that fumes got in there. I suggested that she not drive it if possible, and slowly pull up the rug to smell around that floor access hole. She probably will have to have the tank dropped, and then I bet a line has rusted through. Corrosion will eat a car. :?
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Yup.
I live in the "Salt Belt" of the country. When it snows, Pennsylvania has what I would call the phenominal ability to keep it's major roads of commerce clear. The roads simply look damn good. The down side is that the treatment of said roads can eat away at the undersides of our Classic Cars.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby tomnh » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Yup, salt eats out cars up quick. When I did the front clip, I even used eastwoods inside the frame spray. The tank was new, but Icoated it with eastwood products. I hate RUST. My original tank was made of baby swiss cheese (many small holes). :lol:
tomnh

Dirty Deeds 90 lsc 93 Cobra heads and intake, 1.7 RR, 6AL ignition, United Exhaust 2 1/4" off road exhaust, no smog and no cats, X-Pipe, SCT chip and mass air, A9P ECU. 24lb injectors, 3:55 gears, 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge, 65mm TB, Ram Air intake, 17" 1998 cobra rims. Last tune was 290HP

Sandy 1989 lsc convertible (1 of 12) Original and Stock, driven daily and under renovation.

Buy Club Gear and Support Our Club !
http://www.cafepress.com/LincolnMarkVIIClub
tomnh
DECEASED MEMBERS

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Well, decided to tackle the noisy fuel pump issue on White Ox.

Found the lines and electrical wiring, Now the fuel filler neck has me baffled (the manual wasn't much help either). What is it that I remove to release the neck from the tank or neck from the body? Do I remove these bolts?

I have already removed these.....What else :?: . I know some of you have done this and I just don't want to go about it the wrong way. Probably why I have been putting it off :lol:

Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby thunderjet » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

If I remember correctly the filler neck should just slide out of the tank.
1988 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 70mm TB, 80mm PMAS slot MAF, 30lb injectors, Comp 266HR cam, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, FRPP shorty headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI Stallion converter, 3.73 Traction-Lok.
Other rides: 2011 Focus in blue flame, 2012 Mustang 3.7 in grabber blue, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
thunderjet

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm

thunderjet wrote:If I remember correctly the filler neck should just slide out of the tank.

No clamp? how does it seal? Sorry if this seems like a obvious question. I just like to know how things work.... :roll:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Falkon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Some fuel tanks of that era had a rubber donut at the tank and the filler slid into it. I'm not 100% sure of this one. I chose to access my fuel pump, on the last car , by making a hole in the trunk.

There is a great writeup by Art in our tech section I believe. Purists doubted this method in the past, but I think it's easy and if you make a good cover and properly seal it no problem.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... sCover.pdf
Falkon
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:53 pm

Falkon wrote:Some fuel tanks of that era had a rubber donut at the tank and the filler slid into it. I'm not 100% sure of this one. I chose to access my fuel pump, on the last car , by making a hole in the trunk.

There is a great writeup by Art in our tech section I believe. Purists doubted this method in the past, but I think it's easy and if you make a good cover and properly seal it no problem.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... sCover.pdf

Yes, I did read the article, but I am one of the "purists" and believe in keeping the car as close to original as possible. Although cutting an access hole would make the job a little easier, I am going to leave this car mostly original(except for the few changes I've made). I will look at it again tomorrow, it did seem that it "just slips into" the tank.....it seems that it would leak though, without some sort of clamp :shock:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:59 pm

The tank does have a rubber seal where the filler neck goes in. They do get old and shrink over time, so check it out when you get under there next time.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 am

CDW6212R wrote:The tank does have a rubber seal where the filler neck goes in. They do get old and shrink over time, so check it out when you get under there next time.

Yep, going to crawl back under there tomorrow and continue my quest to replace the fuel pump. I just wasn't sure how the filler tube was attached..... I will give it a good cleaning before dropping the tank (covered with dirt and crud from the tire). Don't need that stuff in the tank :o
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 am

WHITEOXLSC wrote:...

I have already removed these.....What else :?: . I know some of you have done this and I just don't want to go about it the wrong way. Probably why I have been putting it off :lol:

I pulled the filler tube up and supported it with a pair of vise grips. Once the tank is free, it will drop down and away from the filler tube.

See, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8233
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Yep, been studying all your pictures John. (me likey pictures :lol: ) I'm going to give it a try today, since now I kind of have an idea as to how the filler tube connects. Thanks everyone for the help.... :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Yep you guys were right.... This.......

Just slips into this, with no clamp, other than the bracket in the picture....... Simple as that

Now I know what your thinking........stop it.........come on, this is a car oriented website :o :shock: :lol:

Of course I had to get a new rubber seal (grommet) as mine was torn........ Now I was pleasantly surprised that the new one from Dorman/Balkamp (Napa) made in China :evil: seems to be better than the OEM one I removed... The one on the right is the OEM, the one on the left is the Napa. Notice it has a heaver outer rubber ring than the OEM. Overall it seems to be a better than OEM replacement, of course we are just talking about a hunk o rubber here :lol:

Cheers :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:37 am

Thanks for the pictures Bruce.

What a difference twenty years makes eh?

My mechanic is a beta tester for Dorman and swears by a LOT of their stuff simply because our they've had a bajillion years to get it right :)
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

oldschool1 wrote:Thanks for the pictures Bruce.

What a difference twenty years makes eh?

My mechanic is a beta tester for Dorman and swears by a LOT of their stuff simply because our they've had a bajillion years to get it right :)

I try to find OEM, but sometimes cost or availability have resulted in aftermarket parts. But in this case I am pleased with the results, even if it was "made in China" :mrgreen:
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Engine