Impossible Fuel Filling Problem

Discussion of STOCK engines, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust systems.

Re: Impossible Fuel Filling Problem

Postby 2manymarks » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:40 pm

FWIW, my 89 apparently has a gas tank that has an 18 gal capacity. It must have come from another Fox body, perhaps to accommodate the way the tailpipes are run. There are a couple models that would fit, but only the Mark VII has 22 gal as OEM......just sayin'. 8-)
As of July2017, 11 Mark[*] VII's, 3 licensed for the road:
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) mostly stock 99k.
1989 LSC Midnight/Current Red c/c (9G) 124k, stock, needs air suspension & bodywork.
1989 Light Titanium c/c (11) Bill Blass - stock. miles unk
1989 LSC Medium Sandalwood (62) Mass air+ 111k FOR SALE $900.
1986 BB (8T) stock 125k (wife'sDD)
1987 BB (4L) stock (miles unk)
1987 Base Model White (9L) 107k (2.73rear)
1984 Turbo Diesel Base model, Platinum (1Q), 131k+ FOR SALE $1000.
Parts cars: 88 LSC, 89 BB, 90 LSC - TLZ 5spd (complete conversion w/extras 4SALE)
2manymarks
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:51 pm

90 MarkVII BB wrote:
oldschool1 wrote:Bump for 2017.

Start at the beginning and READ EVERYTHING.

This thread always bothered me because it has still not had a resolution AFAIK. I felt so bad, and wished I knew how to help! ...

If owners have verified:
Correct pump
Correct filter/sock/strainer
An empty tank (visually or physically)
The amount to fill your empty tank

then the only other explanation would be ... wrong tank.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:52 pm

2manymarks wrote:FWIW, my 89 apparently has a gas tank that has an 18 gal capacity. It must have come from another Fox body, perhaps to accommodate the way the tailpipes are run. There are a couple models that would fit, but only the Mark VII has 22 gal as OEM......just sayin'. 8-)

I agree.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Porterhouse » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm

A spiderweb in the g_dd_m vent tube.

I've just been informed by my mechanic (who has the car chiefly for other reasons; see below) that the vent tube was clogged with a spiderweb, and that's why I was having the problems I'd been having.

Not actually exactly a "spiderweb," per se. Those coccoon-like structures. You've all seen them, I'm sure. Egg sacs? I don't know what they're called. But they are similar material to spiderwebs. And apparently one (or more) had formed in the vent tube, which was one of the first components of the fuel system that got replaced at the start of the troubleshooting on this issue, many years ago. Or so I was told; I couldn't personally verify by looking, since it's not something I could see without dropping the tank. But the shop that did that job wasn't a bad place; I never had reason to doubt their integrity. And the shop I currently use had previously blown through the current vent tube, quite some time ago, back when I had all the other parts replaced back there, such as the tank itself. So I'm thinking that if this, in fact, turns out to be the cause of the problem, it may not have been so far along at that time, and allowed the compressed air to pass through the tube, giving the impression of it being "blown out" and cleared. As it has progressed over the past several years, the problem has gotten steadily worse.

This seems entirely plausible, since I've recently had to replace one of the trumpets on my air horn for being clogged with such a coccoon web as well. Something had nested inside the trumpet and completely closed it up with that gunk, to the point where I thought my air horn's compressor had to be replaced. I changed out the trumpet only, and the result was like I had a brand new horn. That coccoon, egg sac, spiderweb sh__ is worse than chewing gum. I also noticed a number of these, each a more or less circular shape, stuck to the side of one of my front shock absorbers, on a section of the inner shaft, where you wouldn't see them unless the shock was completely extended. The car has consistently had an occupancy of spiders for many years, season after season, and no matter what I do, they always return. I don't even want to think about where else they might be nesting, or how many additional hundreds of dollars in otherwise needless repairs they've caused me.

I haven't got the car back yet, but my guy reports that, following a thorough purging of the vent tube, the car is taking fuel normally now. When I pick it up, I'll drive it around for a good while, gas it up, and confirm. I'm excited to drive it, anyway. She's getting new rear shocks, new rear rotors and brake pads, rear lower control arm bushings, front stabilizer links and bushings, new power steering pump and reservoir, new steering rack, a motor mount on the passenger side, and a new rim on the rear left to replace one of the Cobra R's that had previously come off while driving due to some lug nuts which either loosened on their own or were tampered with (the rim suffered damage from the studs, was professionally repaired improperly, and has contributed to some of the issues in this job). So I'm looking forward to the feel of the car after completion of this long-overdue battery of work.

When I've burned off a bunch of my gas, I'll test and confirm (or not) at the pump, that a g_dd_m spiderweb in the vent tube was the cause of the problem.
Last edited by Porterhouse on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Mark VII LSC, "Old Faithful," 2nd Owner, Cobra R wheels, 1984 "Continental" style nose & badging, 183K, Owned since August 2001
1989 Mark VII LSC (deceased)
1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer, "The Adventuremobile," 351W, 225K, 4" BDS Lift, WAAG brush guard, 2.5" FM Super 44 exhaust, factory cargo shade
2016 Perception Conduit 13-ft kayak, "Colonel Sanders," technically a vehicle, new favorite toy.

Porterhouse

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Well good, an answer is better than more hunting. I've had my own learned lessons from not driving a car enough. Storing outside is almost worse than a high mileage car, in some ways.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Porterhouse » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 pm

CDW6212R wrote:Well good, an answer is better than more hunting. I've had my own learned lessons from not driving a car enough. Storing outside is almost worse than a high mileage car, in some ways.

I use the car! I guess I don't drive it enough? I don't think it takes long for these stupid web things to form though, so I guess it must have gone up in between refuelings. I just checked and this thread began in 2013, after I'd already had the issue for, I think, a year or two at least. I can't wait to get the car back and try to fill it up, and see if that really was the solution.
1988 Mark VII LSC, "Old Faithful," 2nd Owner, Cobra R wheels, 1984 "Continental" style nose & badging, 183K, Owned since August 2001
1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer, "The Adventuremobile," 351W, 225K, 4" BDS Lift, WAAG brush guard, 2.5" FM Super 44 exhaust, factory cargo shade
2016 Perception Conduit 13-ft kayak, "Colonel Sanders," technically a vehicle, new favorite toy.

Porterhouse

Postby CDW6212R » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:21 pm

You'll have to start spraying around the car with bug spray when you do the house. I've found wasp nests a lot in the hinge areas, and mud daubers wasp nests in lots of places. Those are fun, to find live spiders in them.
Don
1991 Red Special Edition, my 2nd SE, dead paint, DWS 255/45/17's on 95 Cobra wheels, and soon; DVD/Navi/backup camera, OBDII and the 347, before custom paint.
98 Mountaineer with Continental DWS 255/55/18's, big sway bars, custom brakes. Soon to be A4WD with XP8 bumpers and wing.

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby 90 MarkVII BB » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Awesome. I hope it is fixed. Im glad this thread was revived and possibly myself and others were able to give more ideas which led to the findings.

Let us know what happens.
"Ivory" - 1990 Mark VII Bill Blass Edition
3G Alternator, Arnott Air springs front/rear, hardwired dashcam, Tigerpaw whitewalls, all 4 brake lines new NiCopp, all else factory.
In the works - Backup cam, Addco#415.
90 MarkVII BB
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Porterhouse wrote:A spiderweb in the g_dd_m vent tube. ...

Like this?
Here in Pennsylvania, we call them spider/wasp/yellow jacket/mud dauber/critter nests.
They love our fuel door compartments.

I'll have to pay a bit more attention to said vent line when I pull my next tank.
Interesting hypothesis.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby CDW6212R » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:28 pm

oldschool1 wrote:
Porterhouse wrote:A spiderweb in the g_dd_m vent tube. ...

Like this?
Here in Pennsylvania, we call them spider/wasp/yellow jacket/mud dauber/critter nests.
They love our fuel door compartments.

I'll have to pay a bit more attention to said vent line when I pull my next tank.
Interesting hypothesis.

John, did you find the spiders alive in that?
Don

ImageImage
CDW6212R
CLUB MEMBER

Postby oldschool1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Don,
That was a stock photo I grabbed off of the web. I just know about them from personal experience here in Pennsylvania. They love to be inside our fuel doors up here.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Postby Porterhouse » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 am

John, no, it wasn't like that. That photo is more like a spider hive or something. What I had blocking the vent tube was more of a thick, white, puffy, fluffy, web-material mass. You find them sometimes behind the license plate or in other crevices. I have taken photos of others I've found in the car, for the purpose of posting here.

Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem, spider webs cleared but the problem persists. Driving me up the frigging wall.

Porterhouse

Postby oldschool1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 am

Then let's start over and eliminate a few things.

Start by rereading this thread from the beginning.
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Previous

Return to Engine