no power to radio and antenna switch wire 137 Y/BK [solved]

Discussion of STOCK TripMinderĀ®, audio, video, LED, capacitors, instrument clusters and controls, integrated circuitry and boards, low voltage, message center, resistors, speedometers, tachometers, transistors and systems.

no power to radio and antenna switch wire 137 Y/BK [solved]

Postby 5151 mm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi everyone,

there is no power to the radio and to the antenna switch via wire 137 Y/BK. Fuse 11 is ok and has power when key in accessory or run mode.
The splice S238 looks normal, too.
What should I inspect next, before ripping everything apart, trying to find the path of that wire? :)

Last edited by 5151 mm on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Re: no power to radio and antenna switch via wire 137 Y/BK

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 pm

If you checked the fuse with an ohm meter for continuity, check the fuse in place in the fuse panel. Is power on both ends when power is applied? Some fuses look good even though they have failed. You mentioned that the splice S238 looks good, did you check for power when the key is on at this splice? Since your problem is effecting both radio and ant switch, I suspect a bad connection between the fuse panel and this splice. 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby 5151 mm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for your response.
I realized that I accidentally had checked the wrong fuse. :mrgreen: The slot for fuse 11 was actually empty. For a reason... The 20 A fuse, I then put in, blew with turining the key in accessory mode. Radio and antenna switch were disconnected.
That means my Y/BK wire touches ground somewhere between fuse panel and splice. The splice just looks as well isolated as the harness in which the wire disappears...
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Postby WHITEOXLSC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:20 pm

5151 mm wrote:Thanks for your response.
That means my Y/BK wire touches ground somewhere between fuse panel and splice. ..

No, it can be grounded anywhere on that circuit. A good and cheap way to at least try to find where the short is, connect a 12v test light between where the fuse goes, then turn on the key. The lamp should light. With the light/key on, start moving wires/connectors and observe the lamp, if it flickers/dims or goes out, you have found the area in the circuit where the short is... 8-)
Bruce
WHITEOXLSC
ImageImageImageImage

1990 Regatta Blue LSC (newest addition aka Blu)
1986 Mark VII Silver LSC (sold, aka the Grey Ghost)
1990 Mark VII Oxford White LSC (new addition aka the WhiteOx)
1993 Ford Green Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L V6 (daily driver do everything truck)(loaded first generation)
1988 Ford Blue/mostly rust brown Ranger 2.9L V6 STX P/U (Old faithful) (dead trans, 358XXX miles, sold)
1975 Oldsmobile Blue Omega Hatchback Coupe

Proudly supporting ; Pick N Pull of the greater bay area, NAPA auto parts, Ebay, Suncore Industries, Johnny Franklin mufflers, and Paul Protos electronics restoration.
WHITEOXLSC
CLUB MEMBER

Location: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County (the "other" wine country) California

Postby 5151 mm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the short in the circuit. But I found out something else: The EVTM doesn't tell the entire truth! :)
In my EVTM for 1990 models the wire 137 Y/BK starts at fuse # 11 and then splices (S238) to the radio and to the power antenna switch.
However, I found that particular wire also goes to the amplifier connector (I think it is C452)! My (aftermarket) amplifier is not in use and disconnected and the wires in the trunk look good, too. No short visible there.
Directly at the fuse panel there are four connectors. One of them, I think it is the grey connector C204, also contains a Y/BK wire. I had to cut and isolate this Y/BK wire at the connector to get rid of the short in the circuit.
Now the fuse # 11 doesn't blow anymore and I have the desired power at the radio and the antenna. :D
Johannes
1990 Bill Blass
5151 mm

Re: no power to radio and antenna switch wire 137 Y/BK [solv

Postby oldschool1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Wow!
Way to go!
Congratulations on correcting the short!
oldschool1
CLUB MEMBER

Return to Electronic